UTV firewood hauler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkie62

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I can get to about 50% of my firewood with the tractor and trailer.The other 50% must be humped to a logging road.Was thinking of getting a UTV for this purpose along with a smaller 4'x4' trailer.Are there any good sites that overall rate these.I am looking at mostly pure utility with some pleasure such as hunting or trail riding with my wife since she cannot drive our atv's anymore because of hip operations.Was thinking of the John Deere.Like I said pure utility vs speed---meaning no Polaris razor.Also full 4wd not front limited slip. Thanks Ed

Picked up a used Cub Cadet Volunteer back in November. Thing has 2" recievers front and rear, locking dif and a top speed of 25-30. Has gone where a truck would have got stuck or made some nice tracks. Handles a load well plus a loaded 3x6 trailer. If you want speed a Ranger or the like is the way to go.

I bought a Gator XUV 2 years ago and my only regret is that I didn't get one sooner. It carries a good load in the box and has no problem towing a 4x6 trailer. They tell me it isn't very fast, but I haven't had it a top speed yet so I don't know. Goes plenty quick for me. Does well in mud or a foot or so of snow.View attachment 216142

attachment.php

Kubota RTV

I have been using a Kubota RTV 1100 since 2008 and it has been great. Not a speed demon (24 m.p.h.),but great diesel motor. You must test drive one first. Tranny takes some getting used to. VERY abrupt slowing down/stopping when you let off the accelerator. However, the tranny helps a lot when traveling down hills with a heavy load.

I am very happy with Kubota RTV. My neighbor also has an RTV as well. He has a large farm and is on his second RTV.

This is a 90% work 10% fun machine.

XTROOPER

400 ranger

I bought a 2011 400 Ranger and love it. Its actually 455cc's with 29 hp. It goes 40mph and has 3 differential settings (4 wheels locked, rear locked, or turf saver which only powers one rear wheel. I believe it is a great bang for your buck compared to some other brands that I researched.

UTV is Great!

I bought a 2011 400 Ranger and love it. Its actually 455cc's with 29 hp. It goes 40mph and has 3 differential settings (4 wheels locked, rear locked, or turf saver which only powers one rear wheel. I believe it is a great bang for your buck compared to some other brands that I researched.

I also use a Polaris Ranger for firewood, (and everything else around here). I have had very good luck with it and the dump bed is a real back saver. I have friends with other models of UTV and most of them seem happy with their choice. I got the Polaris because it was a leftover from the previous years stock and the dealer wanted it gone.

Ranger 800HD

I traded in a couple of my other toys to get my ranger this past fall. It has been working very well for me as the ground has not froze enough to get the tractor into the bush.
210565d1323401599-ranger4-jpg

You have to go out and drive a bunch of them the way you will use them. I bought a Kubota RTV900 because most of my work will be slow moving but enjoy the weight and transmission. It is super controlled when I do slow work like backing a full hay wagon into the barn.

I used a cub cadet big country for years.The cub worked great for firewood hauling.The biggest downfall was it was only two wheel drive with a differential lock.
while only a two wheel drive the cub served it purpose well.I wanted something more sporty and sold it and bought a new polaris ranger.The ranger will not carry the load that my cub would but it sure is a blast on the trails

One other thing to concider, and I am learning this the hard way is watch out for parts cost. I bought an older John deere gator 6x4 and while it is cool as heck, it is very expensive for the propriatary JD parts. I bought this as a non running fixer up unit. I will get it but I constantly find myself trying to work around the cost of the jd parts. That said I have run the rangers and kabotas and want one bad, I just cant lay the money out for something that just does what a utv does. I can buy a tractor for less money and have twice the options. If I had the spare dough though it would be a no brainer.

We have had a Kubota RTV900 for almost 4 years now. We are very pleased with it. The hydraulic dump bed is very nice too.

Ken

Thank You

Thanks for all the input and info.I also looked at one Kubota but at big pricing but it was also too big to fit into a pickup truck.I was mostly interested in making sure that the front tires can be fully locked and not just limited slip which is almost useless.I know I will definitely need a winch on it.With a small trailer no bigger than 4x4 I could drive straight into an area,unhitch the trailer ,turn it around and then rehook without cutting unnecessary trees like I would if I used the tractor.I have alot of dead standing elm ,nice and straight up to 18" dia that would be great for my OWB but tough to get to with a tractor.Seems like a waste of good wood.Also instead of taking out the tractor everytime and hooking up a trailer to work a hunting food plot or run my traps ,the small dump bed would be ideal.Just gotta convince the wife "she" needs it.

I've got a Kawasaki Teryx that I use to pull my splitter and conveyor around. I've been considering an RTV, and my Kubota dealer is also the dealer I work with for lawn and landscape equipment as well as all of my saws; he let me take a demo 1100, with the cab and everything, and it was helpless in mud compared to my Teryx, which is important when you're dealing with firewood where we are.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the cab, and it would tug the world in half, but as far as going in softer and slimier areas, forget about it...

attachment.php
I'd love a Kubota RTV...my friends have one. I bought a 6x4 and it's done everything I've asked except run faster that the Kubby. Hauls wood like a champ...the lower bed height makes getting rounds in a lot easier. Pulled my 1500lb chipper through a foot of wet snow back in October. Doesn't have much in the way of ground clearance. Best advice is try out as many as you can. View attachment 216385

Doesn't have much in the way of ground clearance.

I used my 4 wheeler to pull out my friend's JD when he high centered it on a rutted trail.

I understand that the 6 wheelers don't turn real easy with a heavy load on the rear axles.

Ken

Last edited:
Those 6x4 gators due take a bit of room to turn when loaded, solid axles and a light front end.

Back