070/090 fly wheel/ starter problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

350 Vortec

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello all,can anyone shed some light on this please,i finally got my 070 running thanks to a forum member who sent a NOS Stihl flywheel and points ignition to me,i knew when i seen them together that i would have some problems but she fired up first pull(of the cord wrapped around the starter drum) so i'm delighted,just need to figure out what i need to resolve starter issue,as you can see the wheel from my electronic ign is much shallower than new wheel,fan fits and starter drum will bolt on but is too wide for cover to fit,i can cut a little off wheel and a little off drum,machine inside of drum and fit ring deeper inside but if i can just pick up another drum then i'd rather do that,can anyone tell me if the points ign starter drum is shallower than mine ?

Hi Francis, glad to hear you have that 070 going but I am sorry you have some compatabilty issues. I really do not know about electronic ignitions for these - all mine are points models. (I have never actually seen an electronic 070 or 090.)
Maybe one of those Chicom electronic stator plates will be your saviour.

Anyway, Matt will be along in a minute to give you the good oil. Good luck.

Hey Matt, still want those ignitions?

Al.

Hi Francis, glad to hear you have that 070 going but I am sorry you have some compatabilty issues. I really do not know about electronic ignitions for these - all mine are points models. (I have never actually seen an electronic 070 or 090.)
Maybe one of those Chicom electronic stator plates will be your saviour.

Anyway, Matt will be along in a minute to give you the good oil. Good luck.

Hey Matt, still want those ignitions?

Al.
Hi Al
Thank you for your help and top class parts,sorry if my post is confusing,all your parts are working fine and same fitting as electronic
My problem is the starter drum,it must be deeper/different on the electronic models as when fitted to your wheel it is too wide to get cover on,a pic of a standard starter drum would be very heplful if someone has one handy

Morning Francis, I'll drag my electronic and non electronic versions out and have a look, but turning down the starter cup my be the way to go ? The fly wheel on the left of the picture seems to have an extra "bit" Will have a look over the next couple of days.

Morning Francis, I'll drag my electronic and non electronic versions out and have a look, but turning down the starter cup my be the way to go ? The fly wheel on the left of the picture seems to have an extra "bit" Will have a look over the next couple of days.

Hi Dave,yes the left wheel has a seperate centre fixed with studs and original is pressed in,just wondered if the left wheel is actually the norm and mine is odd,if so i will just order new standard starter drum,be great if you can check thanks...got a new Cannon for the 94 for birthday:biggrin:

Latest posts

Back