3 years here!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Reaction score
(technically, this might belong in OT, but I spend most of my time here, so I'm posting it here, move if you see it necessary.)

As of today, I've been a member here for 3 years. What have I learned?

Dolmar makes great saws. They are what got me on this site to begin with, trying to find out more about a brand I'd never heard of before.

If you're gonna swing a sharpened stick at a block of wood to split it, make sure it's a Fiskars. I only split by hand when I need anger management, but it's far and away the best splitting tool I've used that didn't have a motor on it.

Stick around long enough, and even a guy with enough wood to stay warm forever growing on his property will become a firewood scrounge, because as one member's signature says "Never enough wood in the stack!"

Sooner or later, the old saw bug will bite. It gives guys like me something to tinker with for hours on end while drinking beer in the shop.

There are as many ways (and opinions on the best way) to gather firewood as there are members here, and that's a good thing. A lot of my tricks I picked up here.

There is a ton of generosity on this site, and I'm happy to help when I can, and grateful to those that can when I can't.

The Off Topic forum is great when you've got nothing better to do with your day/week/month.

and lastly,

Banned camp ain't all it's cracked up to be :msp_ohmy::hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks to Darrin and the crew that makes this a great site, and I'll keep coming back till I get chased off!

Hello Steve: Congrats on your tenure here with AS. Yes there's a lot to learn here, and I agree whole heartedly on the great job done by those that manage the site. As far as the banning goes, I've noticed it is done quietly, and in a dignified manner, without all the fuss and muss. A big APlus for ArborSite.

Congrats Steve, I have been around these parts even a bit longer, but with far less post count. This is a great site with a bunch of good people on it.

Well said

Well said Steve. I have not been in too long, but have learned a lot. Thanks to the sponsors of the site and everyone who takes a time to post great information.

Thank You

XTROOPER

Because of people like you and a few others on here, I've found a lot of good information and some great ideas. This isn't just a forum, it's more like family who are always willing to help one another with a bunch of great information.

Congrats on the three years!! :msp_thumbsup:

Congrats

Congrats on getting your 3 year pin. I just joined a few months ago and I always like reading your posts. Your knowledge that you are passing on is valuable to us Newbies. Keep up the great posts and the quick humor as well.

Steve:hmm3grin2orange:

(technically, this might belong in OT, but I spend most of my time here, so I'm posting it here, move if you see it necessary.)

As of today, I've been a member here for 3 years. What have I learned?

Dolmar makes great saws. They are what got me on this site to begin with, trying to find out more about a brand I'd never heard of before.

If you're gonna swing a sharpened stick at a block of wood to split it, make sure it's a Fiskars. I only split by hand when I need anger management, but it's far and away the best splitting tool I've used that didn't have a motor on it.

Stick around long enough, and even a guy with enough wood to stay warm forever growing on his property will become a firewood scrounge, because as one member's signature says "Never enough wood in the stack!"

Sooner or later, the old saw bug will bite. It gives guys like me something to tinker with for hours on end while drinking beer in the shop.

There are as many ways (and opinions on the best way) to gather firewood as there are members here, and that's a good thing. A lot of my tricks I picked up here.

There is a ton of generosity on this site, and I'm happy to help when I can, and grateful to those that can when I can't.

The Off Topic forum is great when you've got nothing better to do with your day/week/month.

and lastly,

Banned camp ain't all it's cracked up to be :msp_ohmy::hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks to Darrin and the crew that makes this a great site, and I'll keep coming back till I get chased off!

Indeed you have been a good neighbor from cheeseland!
Hey as a side note...I've also been here for 3 years ...just noticed.

Another three yearer here also, Jan 2009, must have been a good month!

Steve I like reading your threads because a lot of them you take the time to document what you do and even take the time to do some pictures to go along with the story. That makes it interesting to read all the time.

:cheers: Here's to many more years of your posts!

Hello Steve: Congrats on your tenure here with AS. Yes there's a lot to learn here, and I agree whole heartedly on the great job done by those that manage the site. As far as the banning goes, I've noticed it is done quietly, and in a dignified manner, without all the fuss and muss. A big APlus for ArborSite.

Ahhrrrggghh! He said TENURE - everybody duck!!! :D :D :D

Well said Steve. I have not been in too long, but have learned a lot. Thanks to the sponsors of the site and everyone who takes a time to post great information.

Thank You

XTROOPER

Forgot to mention the great sponsors here, 4 of which I've dealt with personally, and others I've gotten information from on here. A great bunch, even if they do like to poke at each other from time to time!

You'd think a NASCAR nut like me would remember to thank the sponsors right off the bat!

Congrats for the 3 years Steve. How's the no smoking going?

Since it's now the 11th, it's 2 months today. Don't miss it, but the smell of smoke when I walk by someone smoking still trips the trigger now and then.

Steve I like reading your threads because a lot of them you take the time to document what you do and even take the time to do some pictures to go along with the story. That makes it interesting to read all the time.

:cheers: Here's to many more years of your posts!

I like all the pics too, so I make sure to take a bunch every time I go out. Got some on the camera from this morning (yesterday, whatever, it's late...) but I won't get em up till after I get some sleep.

Still gotta get you up here to play with saws for a day and send ya home with a load of wood. If the snow don't get too deep, I'll be cutting all winter. Give me a call or PM sometime.

Thanks to everyone else for the kind words, likes, and reps. I'll be spreading some rep back around before I go to work tomorrow.

--three years, cool! So..after three years, what is the most common newb question you have seen posted? Like on chainsaws it is mixoil questions and "help me pick a saw even though I have my mind made up already on saw brand and model x and y"

--three years, cool! So..after three years, what is the most common newb question you have seen posted? Like on chainsaws it is mixoil questions and "help me pick a saw even though I have my mind made up already on saw brand and model x and y"

I stay out of the chainsaw section mostly, except for the old saw threads and the swap meet now and then. In firewood, it's by far "what kind of wood is this?". I've posted a few of my own. After that, it's probably "what size splitter do I need/want", or my favorite, which I've posted tons of, "Cut some wood today (usually with pics)"

One more tip, for those that have never gone to a GTG, it's worth the time and expense to go! I've been to 3 or 4 local ones, and am doing my best to go meet some others this year, road trips are a good time, and one involving chainsaws has GOT to be good!

Back