Jobbox on trailer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tree md

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am looking to mount a tool box on my trailer that I use for my stumper. I want to have something to keep spare parts and basic tools in and maybe be able to throw a large saw in there in case I need to cut a stump a little lower before I grind it.

My question is would I be better off going with one of the heavy duty plastic boxes or one of the metal job box type containers. I am thinking of longevity and the rust factor. It would be nice to have a narrow box that doesn't take up too much room and a locking feature would be nice so I could lock it up if I stop somewhere for lunch. My trailer is only 54" wide.

Any suggestions on what to get and where?

I have one from tractor supply mounted on my trlr on the side, i can pull by sc252 right up beside it even with the dual wheels on, it is about 18 in deep by 18 wide by 4 ft long, it is
metal, i can carry 3 saws plus extra pts for grinder, chains etc, it works great..

My trlr is 6x10, when not grinding i haul my ztr on it,,,it works great..

I mounted a vise on one corner, makes it nice to work on saws in the field..
Much better than carrying all the stuff in bed of truck where everybody can see it..

Bob..:cheers:

Hadn't thought about running one lengthwise. That's a pretty good Idea... Not sure it would work with my grinder. Like I said, my trailer is only 54" wide... Wouldn't leave much if any room with a 36" grinder... I'll have to check it out and see what works. I have been looking at Tractor Supply's website. They got some pretty nice looking boxes but seem a little pricey... The vice is an excellent idea! ;)

Get a metal box! Just be prepared to wire wheel it and repaint every now and again. I recommend JOBOX brand. Plastic boxes don't rust but they don't stand up to constant use. They are much less secure as well. $300-$350 and you have a box forever.

Definitely get a metal box...... especially if anyone other than you is gonna be using it. The plastic ones break. I bolted one down in the back of my utility truck to lock saws in. I rhinolined the whole exterior and the lid was already chromed..... good rust protection and looks sharp. I got mine used on CL for 150 bucks.

scrap yard scavenger

We have some nice scrap yards around here and with the price of steel you might be surprised what you'll find in them. Small mig welder should handle box gauge metal make it your way. Bed line it paint it or just brush it down with used oil messy but it works. Just depends on your skill level and price range I suppose.

the metal ones are better . the padlock sits in there and is hard to get to to be able to cut. good luck..

Had this on my old F-250 and hated to leave it on when I sold the truck so I stuck it on my dump trailer. It did go with the trailer when I sold it. :(

2009-08-21001.jpg

Had this on my 5x12 trailer:

2007-10-09012.jpg

Then later, put it on my big trailer.

2009-08-28015.jpg

Then took it off when I sold that trailer and put it on my 7x16 enclosed trailer.

39d769ae.jpg

All trailers should have a box to hold crap in. :)

BTW, like mentioned above, Jobox is the way to go. That box is almost 5 years old and still looks great. It is starting to peel some of the top coat off a little. Not cheap but you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
Had this on my old F-250 and hated to leave it on when I sold the truck so I stuck it on my dump trailer. It did go with the trailer when I sold it. :(

2009-08-21001.jpg

Had this on my 5x12 trailer:

2007-10-09012.jpg

Then later, put it on my big trailer.

2009-08-28015.jpg

Then took it off when I sold that trailer and put it on my 7x16 enclosed trailer.

39d769ae.jpg

All trailers should have a box to hold crap in. :)

BTW, like mentioned above, Jobox is the way to go. That box is almost 5 years old and still looks great. It is starting to peel some of the top coat off a little. Not cheap but you get what you pay for.

Hey Scott, How long is that black Job Box? That looks to be exactly what I am looking for.

Dang, my trailer is 54" wide. I'd like to find one that would go the whole width of my trailer.

Just measured mine. It's actually a 65" wide box. They are over $600 now!!! (Jobox #544982)

They also make a 47" for just under $500. (Jobox #543982)

These are the High-capacity top-side boxes.

Not cheap but well worth it.

Yeah, Job box's are nice. I know Rigid was making one of the larger boxes (for saws and gear) that was comparable to jobbox for a really good price. Been awhile since I have looked at the prices on those though. 47" would get me.

Go with a metal box for sure. However, I advise against mounting it on the tongue. This is just an accident waiting to happen. An accident involving the crushing of the bumper and/or the back rear corners of your towing vehicle. That box placement on the hitch tongue area will greatly reduce your turning radius and you WILL eventually hit it with your towing truck in a tight turn. Don't ask how me how I kow!!!
Jeff

Go with a metal box for sure. However, I advise against mounting it on the tongue. This is just an accident waiting to happen. An accident involving the crushing of the bumper and/or the back rear corners of your towing vehicle. That box placement on the hitch tongue area will greatly reduce your turning radius and you WILL eventually hit it with your towing truck in a tight turn. Don't ask how me how I kow!!!
Jeff

That's because you didn't order your trailers with the extended tongue. :)

I posted this in another forum but figured I would update this thread as well to let you fellas know what I got. Not sure of the make but I believe it is a TSC. One of my customers gave it to me as a bonus over the weekend. I am thrilled to death to have it. :)

81a50e6416e0458691ba7e65f6bddf38.jpg

Back