Decisions, Decisions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll only be cutting 5 cords of wood or less a year. Right now I am 2 years ahead on wood. I burned almost 3 cords this year. I normally don't cut real big trees but I have a big hickory that I need to finish up that requires a 20" bar at a minimum. Also, I am in no hurry when I start cutting so a super fast saw is not really needed. I'm gettin close to 50 so a wood cutting business isn't in the plans either. Not sure which one I will get yet. Probably won't know til the day I go to get it.

Thanks for the info,
Rob

A 290 should last as long as a pro saw. The cylinder has the same NiSi coating and they have the same beefy forged rods. The difference is in how hard they are to work on, which it shouldn't need that often. We like pro saws here, but not all others are junk.

Not if you drop it on it's oil tank. :msp_tongue:

I'll only be cutting 5 cords of wood or less a year. Right now I am 2 years ahead on wood. I burned almost 3 cords this year. I normally don't cut real big trees but I have a big hickory that I need to finish up that requires a 20" bar at a minimum. Also, I am in no hurry when I start cutting so a super fast saw is not really needed. I'm gettin close to 50 so a wood cutting business isn't in the plans either. Not sure which one I will get yet. Probably won't know til the day I go to get it.

Thanks for the info,
Rob

Wonder why nobody has recomended the best choice....

Get yourself set up with a MS261-16" and then buy a spare 20" bar and chain...

the 261 will turn the 20" no problem and then when you dont need all that extra weight you can just run it with the 16" and be a real happy camper...

if you dont need a saw to run a 20" on a regular basis, why buy a saw that will feel unbalanced with a 16" when that is probably all you really need most of the time...

Thanks for the info,
Rob

What saw did you get?

I got a MS 362 and a 20" bar and I have the MS 250 as well. Made short work of the hickory. It is split and stacked and waitin for next year.

Rob

I got a MS 362 and a 20" bar and I have the MS 250 as well...

So CAD rears its head yet again... too funny.

The OP asks if he should spend more getting an upgraded saw and ends up spending even more buying a pro version AND a smaller back up. Way to go! :blob2:

When your standing in the dealer look to the bottom shelf

That should just about cover most questions

The 290 isn't a bad saw for the money. It's all what you want. I buy a lot of wood and the guy I buy from runs a 290. He has cut well over 500 cords with it. He cuts wood 16" so that is a lot of cuts. The saw still runs strong. Don't worry about wearing one out. They last a long time.

Scott
My brother has a 029 that both of us have used to cut firewood for more than 15 years. Did a MM on it. Last time I ran it was impressed how well it ran. Now that is a great saw!!! Oh I think he paid about $325 for it in NH.

My brother has a 029 that both of us have used to cut firewood for more than 15 years. Did a MM on it. Last time I ran it was impressed how well it ran. Now that is a great saw!!! Oh I think he paid about $325 for it in NH.

Funny how so many knock a good saw like the MS290 yet will admit to having had or used a Wild Thing. Makes no sense...

Do yourself a favor and buy the Makita 540 in the classifieds here from a VERY reputable member.
The 290 is all the saw you really NEED, But the Makita is about half the price and twice the quality.

Mike

and it only took 17 posts for someone to try to derail the thread....

When your standing in the dealer look to the bottom shelf

That should just about cover most questions

????

The Larger Pro saws are usually on the bottom shelf in most Stihl diplay setups, anything 362 & up are typically on the bottom shelf. 261 & the xxxT models up higher. I guess mainly so they are on the shelf w/ more support as the 60cc+ saws weight a tad more han the 30-50 cc HO saws.

dw

Funny how so many knock a good saw like the MS290 yet will admit to having had or used a Wild Thing. Makes no sense...

It is really a conspiracy. Some of these onlookers just may be "closet-wild-thingies" and would never admit to enjoying one. As for me, I passed mine on to the paw-in-law and he straight-gassed it. It was a sad day in the saw-pool, but I believe he put it in the trash.

I love the idea of the MS362 though, did you get it?

Latest posts

Back