Advice on best 36" wide self-propelled stump grinder under 50hp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
talked with the rayco dealer in ND and he said he thought the rayco 1645 would be tipsy with only single wheels on it. IF I want to keep a machine to a 36" width all the time, he suggested either a 35hp gas super jr or a 1635 track machine.

It now looks like the list is narrowed to the vermeer sc352, rayco 1635 super jr or the rayco 1635 track machine. I'd greatly appreciate more feedback on those models and any options I should look for that might not be standard. Sounds like I could afford to buy either rayco new but the 352 would be used as I can't justify buying a new 372.

AP

took a bit more time to compare the specs between the three machines and now I'm leaning towards rayco. looks like either the trac 1635 or the super jr would be more compact than the vermeer 352 and lighter. Makes me think the rayco machines would be more stable in the 36" wide configuration. Also like the beefer 1" grinding wheel on the 1635s. can anyone tell me why I would be making the wrong choice to go with the 1635 over the 352? If not, I'm down to deciding between the super jr and the trac machine. Like the wider swing arc of the trac machine but concerned about ripping up yards with tracks. wonder if I can get turf tracks on it?

Feel like I'm talking to myself. Am I giving myself good advice or am I full of bull....?

AP

I'm not as familiar with the raycos as I am with vermeer,but when it comes right down to it I'd go with the most HP.As for being tipsy ,that's the trade off of a portable that will go thru a gate.Get the duals and remove when needed.
I don't like tracks myself.OK for a construction site but not for well groomed yards.But thats just me.There's a reason mowers don't have tracks.Think about it.

It takes less than a minute to take my outside wheels off. Use the boom to lift the front end, three bolts on each side. My second machine was a Rayco rg 25, and the lack of support I got from Rayco will keep me away from ever purchasing something from them again. No matter how cautious you are with a tracked machine, you're going to leave a mark on the HO property. Good luck!

I also would recommend a diesel. The torque makes grinding way more enjoyable.

so could i use a 1645 without the duals if I'm on level ground or am I going to be too heavy and sink into lawns and risk tipping over? I need the machine to be only 36" wide for transport reasons as well as for going through gates. Most of my work is back yard stuff. I'd take another look at the 1645 if I thought I could do most my grinding without the duals but don't want to be constantly taking them on and off. that seems like a pain to me. still open to recommendations...

ap

I just built it off of the annoying guard that everybady ties back or removes alltogether.
The reason for the expanded metal is one,I had someLOL and 2 when it is folded up and resting by the engine it does not hinder my view.
The advantage of making it the way I did allows me to control it with the boom for the cutting wheel:left,right,up, down..It rest on the ground when the CW is about 4inches above the ground.
It's not a dozer, but it does push the mulch back in the hole.

Does you grinder have the same type of safety bar?

That's convenient, I forgot the vermeers have that guard. I have 1625, was looking at it today and don't think I want to add to the width. Think I'll just put it on the back so it's easy on/off, want to be able to lift and lock it also. It's a getaroundtoit project that's behind several others.:msp_confused:

I'm not as familiar with the raycos as I am with vermeer,but when it comes right down to it I'd go with the most HP.As for being tipsy ,that's the trade off of a portable that will go thru a gate.Get the duals and remove when needed.
I don't like tracks myself.OK for a construction site but not for well groomed yards.But thats just me.There's a reason mowers don't have tracks.Think about it.

Actually, thinking about the tracks some more...I've used tracked mini skids for years. They weigh more and have to make several trips through a yard carrying out big logs and brush piles. They don't tear up yards unless you're wreckless and spin cirles. If you make arcs as you turn, they're fine. Wondering why a tracked stump grinder that weighs significantly less would make any more damage under the same circumstances? You go straight to the stump, grind it, back out and go straight to the next one. You're not going around and around the yard like a lawnmower. And you're not grinding the same stump(s) over and over and over. You enter the same area of a yard maybe once every...20 years?

I'm really leaning towards the 1635 track as it has a 47in wide grinding arc vs a 40" arc on the super jr. Looking at the weight and length of the 1645, I'm pretty sure it's out. I want to be able to haul it behind the cab of my custom chip truck and that would be way too long. At only 91" long, the 1635 trac is looking really good on paper. Think I'll see if I can get a demo machine brought out next week. Probably try the 1635 super jr while I'm at it and compare the two side by side. Just wonder why raco didn't look at an adjustable track system like the vermeer sc50/sc60 tracked grinders have. would be awesome if those tracks could move in and out.

Last edited:
have you looked into the morbark products? ive got a morbark sp52 backfill blade wireless remote, dual wheels and a catapiller 34 hp deisel paid around 20,000 nice machine being all hydrastatic.

have you looked into the morbark products? ive got a morbark sp52 backfill blade wireless remote, dual wheels and a catapiller 34 hp deisel paid around 20,000 nice machine being all hydrastatic.

took a look at the 52's specs - too long and too heavy. 1000lb heavier and 3' longer than the 1635 trac rayco. The g42 model would be more suitable to my needs but there's no morbark dealer support around here so i think i'll stick to vermeer or rayco. might check out what bandit has to offer.

Last edited:
friend of mine has the track rayco looks like it is built good, havnt tried the larger bandit grinders, but i did demo their smallest self propelled think it was either 27 or 35 hp gas wasn't impressed . i would go with the best dealer support in your are it means alot. good luck.

friend of mine has the track rayco looks like it is built good, havnt tried the larger bandit grinders, but i did demo their smallest self propelled think it was either 27 or 35 hp gas wasn't impressed . i would go with the best dealer support in your are it means alot. good luck.

A field demo is going to have to change my mind at this point or a new 1635 trac grinder is going to be mine in the near future...

I run a rg50 super 4x4 at my work all the time. Pull it with a one ton diesel easily, works the 5.4 f350 pretty hard.

Pros: grinds great (you don't have to worry about the teeth being razor sharp), back fill blade is way handy, does fit through a small gate with the dual tires off. Service is great! Rayco Ron is a good guy to have on your side.

Cons: Too long, too heavy, gets stuck easily, no remote, tippy, slow travel speed.

I don't really like the machine overall, it leaves little ruts if even remotely wet. I get it in some really tight spots, (I don't really see any other similar sized grinder getting in a tighter spot.) I don't know any other grinders than a small super junior 1625 though. It might be the best thing out there, but I see room for improvement.

I am a fan of the RG 50. I don't own, I rent so that makes me even more of a fan, they are costly. The one I use is 2 wheel drive and seems to go where I need. Sometimes, in obvious situations it get in via a loader.
I dropped one off the trailer once. I didn't realize I was activating the Low/high gear switch which is right there.

Rayco service around here is excellent. Rayco Ron is a great sales rep, he brought an rg 50 all the way up from wooster to demo on one of my jobs. I ended up buying a 1672 instead - about half the price. Vermeer is about an hour and 1/2 from here and rayco is about two and1/2 hr drive - I'm just a little more partial to rayco's grinders and service

vermeer and rayco dealers are each about 3 hrs away from me. A john deere implement deals vermeer equipment locally but it's mostly ag equipment, not forestry. I have a good mechanic I take all my equipment to and, unless I need a warranty repair, he can fix just about anything. I will have to ask though, how warranty repairs will work.

Arbor Pro, let us know how that demo of the tracked Rayco goes. I haven't heard anyone on this site that has one review it. I love the size for the 35hp, verify that it isn't tippy in any direction. Looks like they've got a counterweight in the back end.

Stumper63

Will do. Problem finding one locally to demo though. Might have to travel a bit. Im guessing I can find one in Minneapolis about 4 1/2 hours away.

Arbor Pro, let us know how that demo of the tracked Rayco goes. I haven't heard anyone on this site that has one review it. I love the size for the 35hp, verify that it isn't tippy in any direction. Looks like they've got a counterweight in the back end.

Stumper63

What stumper said, looks like from their website that it would be pretty easy to tip over..

Bob..:cheers:

Latest posts

Back