Just bought some tops and need an ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushmans

Smoke Dragon Herder
Reaction score
I just bought some tops that were cut about two years ago. Mostly hard Maple and Cherry. I think there is a big walnut in there as well. Must have been something wrong with it because they didn't take it once it was on the ground. Well it appears to be walnut anyways. I picked up about 15 large tops for $60. There must be 6-8 cord in there. Not too bad a price me thinks. Help me out on this ID if ya could. Mind you they are 2 years old. I couldn't find any small branches to look for twig pattern that is famous to walnuts. Short of buzzing off a slice this is all I got.
View attachment 217866

View attachment 217867

1st pic looks like Ash... Cut a round off and split it... We'd know for sure then...
217866d1326755014-treeid-jpg

I agree with Hedgerow that the first pic looks like ash. As mentioned, cut a cookie off of the end and show us the wood...

On the Ash; if you look at the second pic the bark looks really thick. Does Ash bark get that thick?
I won't go back until this Friday so you'll have to wait for the pics. I have never burned walnut before. Anyone have good luck with that?

On the Ash; if you look at the second pic the bark looks really thick. Does Ash bark get that thick?
I won't go back until this Friday so you'll have to wait for the pics. I have never burned walnut before. Anyone have good luck with that?

Ash bark does get that thick, depending on the size of the round. I don't have any pics of the big ash I cut last fall, but the bark was easily that thick.

The endgrain pic is really hard to figure out, as it's so weathered.

Bark can be so misleading at times... As far as Walnut being good to burn? Yeah... It's decent...
Make sure you split it up and let it dry for a year, or it won't burn worth a flip... Probably the easiest splitting wood around here...

Back