Hand truck for hauling rounds out of the woods.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genesis5521

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I get pretty tired humping 30 to 80 pound rounds 50 yards out of the forest and back to my truck, one by one. What do you think of this hand truck for this purpose. It has pneumatic tires. I cut my rounds to 16" thick, and very, very rarely exceed 18" in diameter. This hand truck looks like it could hold 3 rounds and still be way under it's 330 pound capacity. That would mean 1/3 the trips, and a lot less effort. But if you see something negative about it, let me know.

Northern Industrial Convertible Log Cart and Hand Truck — 330-lb. Capacity | Logging Accessories | Northern Tool + Equipment

Don <><

attachment.php

Last edited:
Seems like it would be a little small and I think you would pop a few tires. Also with 2 tires i think it would be unsteady on uneven ground. What's wrong with a wheelbarrow?

Don I think if it was me I would try to find a cheap new or used hand truck . And then try to find the biggest fattest tires I could fit on it . That way it would not sink into soft ground and would get over obstructions easier .

Unless you had a path cleared, I would think it would be hard to push or pull over limbs or whatever else is in the way.

Either would probably work but I would use the rear tires from a mower. Better flotation and stability.

Why not one of those 4 wheel wagons? The sides fold down and it would probably be more stable. Plus you could use it for bringing splits to the house.

6933531200141xl.jpg

If not, try this.....

images

Last edited:
Why not one of those 4 wheel wagons? The sides fold down and it would probably be more stable. Plus you could use it fro bringing splits to the house.

6933531200141xl.jpg

If not, try this.....

images

I'm glad you made that post Guido. I hadn't thought of a wagon. There will always be places where I just have to bite the bullet and carry the rounds by hand. But there are plenty of places where I could use a wagon.

How about this one. It got good reviews and it's pretty cheap. It should hold 2 rounds. If I double up and secure the tops row with tie-downs, it should hold 4 rounds. Again, my rounds are very very rarely over 18" in diameter and I always cut them 16" thick.

Northern Tool & Equipment Steel Cart — 34in.L x 18in.W, 400-Lb. Capacity, Model# NTE110 | Hand Pull Wagons | Northern Tool + Equipment

I use something like this to bring firewood in to the house. I can get 35 good size pieces in it. The wheels help getting it up the steps. I reinforced the handle. Mine is 7 years old, pretty beat up, but still going strong. Their about $15 at Walmart.

Walmart.com: Rubbermaid 50-Gallon Wheeled Roughneck Trash Can: Garden Center

Don <><

I got this one from tractor supply.

Hand Truck, 1000 lb. Capacity - 3893949 | Tractor Supply Company

I use it all the time and it has never let me down. Has a wide stance and when the tires are inflated to near rock solid it rolls over rough terrain easily. If you get anywhere near its rated weight capacity, its a feat to tip it back onto the wheels but it can and will hold that much...only question is can you move 1000lbs?

I like the wagon idea. alost considering one myself for the trees that are just too dang far off the path to winch or pull or too far to carry

Don,

I think mine is rated for 1000 # and the handle swaps out for a tongue to pull with a garden tractor. I would go with the heavier model for a few dollars more as it will save money in the long run. I have put over 100 pieces of split oak in mine and wheeled it into the basement.

I see that Lowes has them for around $85, you may be able to find them cheaper.

Gary

after years of bucking in the woods and hand carrying the rounds to my truck my brain finally clicked on. go to harbor freight and buy some 1/4" x 50-ft aircraft grade wire cable (more than one if you want to get wood deeper in the woods). only cost $19.99 and lists a max load capacity of 6160 pounds. if necessary you can rig some pulleys up. i now cut mine into 8-foot lengths (6 - 16" rounds) and drag mine to my wood processing area where i buck and split them. only lifting i do now is to stack it after i split it. a lot easier on the back, more convenient, and quicker. looks like you got a truck, should use it.

Last edited:
Back