Best chainsaw grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do the grinders throw a lot of debris in all directions? Do I need to set up some sort of barrier around the machine to prevent getting abrasive in other areas of the shop?

yes the area directly around the grinder will develop a coating of grinding dust ,most guys make a wrap around shield to contain it somewhat ,,i used a 5 gal plastic bucket with1/3 of the side cut out for access to the settings ,trim the opening as required ,works pretty good jk

I have a Stihl USG that I bought used. It is a quality built machine that will last me the rest of my life. Might want to consider one of these. I believe Tom Hall uses one of these in the shop that he runs.

I have a Stihl USG that I bought used. It is a quality built machine that will last me the rest of my life. Might want to consider one of these. I believe Tom Hall uses one of these in the shop that he runs.

Who makes that grinder?

I really like my Carlton 510C for the money. If I had it to do over, and didnt find a deal on the Carlton- I would have waited around on a decent buy on a Foley 308 or the like.

Silvey is the only kind I've used. Works great but a little pricey. The swing arm square grinder is cheaper than the round grinder.

Their are many of us here that have the Northern Tool grinder. It can be made to wook quite well. I maintain the saws for our wood cutting group, 4 of us and about a dozen saws from an 028 029, 039, 38 Mag II, 2-440, 460 064, 660 an 3-056's. So sharpen 4 to 10 chains a week during our wood cutting season, May thru Sept.. It does a fine job and unlike Madhatte I have found not discernable advantage to the 10* angle so now sharpen everything at 0*...YMMV

the best grinder ?

..........I have used only two grinders . The one I have now is a Timber tuff grinder and I bought it from ,Runnings farm and home. Yes i believe it is a chinese machine . But you have to use what you can get . The saw shop here only sharpens on thursday. That doesent always fit what i have to do . This grinder , It is very adjustable . and comes with three stones . It was set up in less than 20 minutes and does a pretty great job. Now I know that maybe I dont realy know what great is but my saws are very sharp , I used to think that what I needed was a realy big saw. I now know that you can do One heck of a lot of damage with a very sharp small saw. Mine is clamped in a vise to my work bench. If you use a very solid base, to clamp to you will have less vibration. Inturn a more clean cut. We all started with something less, and got something better, as we could. If I could I would buy the best. Untill then. Ill settle for sharp anyway i can. Thanks guys Dave1...

The Maxx does not have a reversing motor. You change the angle of the grinding head and reverse the chain direction. It is a good grinder. I bolted a piece of angle to the grinder bottom and it goes in a vise for a stand.

The Maxx does not have a reversing motor. You change the angle of the grinding head and reverse the chain direction.

Thanks for setting me straight on that. I knew that they claimed to sharpen both Left and Right cutters the same - I assumed that it reversed. Obviously, I have not used one personally.

Philbert

Is the Silvey 510 really worth 2x the Oreogon 511ax or whatever it is?
Where to buy. Any sales. Anyone want to unload one?
Wags

Yeah, that's a Carlton branded Tecomec. I have the same one- it's a great deal IMO. That price is hardly more than what they usually want for a Chinese knockoff.

I also have this grinder. It is an Oregon 510 (Tecomec) painted blue. Mine came with two bad grinding wheels, but they were cheap and easy to replace. Good machine. At $150, how can you go wrong?

I bought the Tecomech (Carlton 78-120V) from Russopower off ebay for $150. I've sharpened about 50 chains with it so far. It was flawless out of the box, no issues with anything, the wheels were well balanced, no slop anywhere, all the adjustments worked smoothly.

I saw the thread for fine tuning the northern Chinese grinder that's basically a copy of this unit. Why bother with the northern machine when you can get the decent quality, real one, for $150? The Tecomech grinds fast and consistent, the results are nice, I can take the most buggered up chain and straighten it out so that it cuts decent. I've used an old foley 308 in the past and I prefer to use the Tecomech.

i know a significant number here are filing enthusiasts, and have a question for those who use grinders. What grinder do you think is the best, and why?
bigsnowdog, get u a silvey 510 grinder, this is for the chain that is not square ground. Stihl 33rsc,oregon lp and lgx 72,an 73.they have good instructs,with the grinder, an online 2 madsens.call warren @ madsens,he will help you.tell him the "tarheel pest" sent you.the cost is around 800.00,not sure.i bought my in 1990,the price then was $500.00. I have never been sorry.i would like a pro series silvey square grinder,i can not afford.i hope this helps,has me an everyone else i sharpen chains for.john,in n.c.

Does anyone have the Stihl HOS or USG?

I have a Stihl USG. I also have a Maxx grinder. The HOS has a fixed head whereas the USG allows you to adjust the head. I just received the USG so I haven't assembled it yet. I can tell you this about it though. It does not come with a light whereas the Maxx has a built in light. The USG spindle is 12mm (1/2 in) whereas the Maxx and others use a 7/8 in spindle. The grinding wheels on the USG seem coarse and are slightly smaller in outside diameter. Overall the USG is a well built quality machine. If you are going to sharpen mostly Stihl chains and are a perfectionist, the USG corresponds directly to the angle recommendations on the chart that comes with it for Stihl chains. I am not sure you can achieve all of these angles with the other grinders. I have CBN wheels for my Maxx grinder and have ordered a ABN wheel for my USG grinder from Edge and Engine. They have an ABN wheel with the 12mm spindle. The CBN wheels do an excellant job on my Maxx grinder. The nice feature of the Maxx grinder is that it clamps the chain automatically when you bring the head down. Also the head can be positioned left to right allowing you to reverse the chain in the vise and grind at the same position for left and right cutters. I like the Maxx grinder and have found nothing bad about it. A couple more things about the USG grinder. You can get accessories for it that allow you to grind hedge clippers and rotary saw blades. You can also get a light attachment and an foot petal attachment to clamp the vise as you grind. Of course these accessories drive up the already high purchase price.

I have never seen or used a square grinder, I would really like to buy a square ground chain from someone that has a good system to check it out.
Thanks,

You can also get a light attachment and an foot petal attachment to clamp the vise as you grind. Of course these accessories drive up the already high purchase price.

Tecomec (makes the Italian grinders, including Oregon) also has an auto-clamping version (small, hydraulic cylinder), a foot pedal attachment, and a jig for sharpening clearing blades (used on straight shaft trimmers) for their grinders. I have not personally used any of these.

Philbert

TECOMEC - PRODOTTI - Accessori affilatrice

TECOMEC - PRODOTTI - Morse Speciali

I have never seen or used a square grinder, I would really like to buy a square ground chain from someone that has a good system to check it out.
Thanks,
Hand filed with (goofy file) double beveled flat file it’s like a rakers file but narrow edge is two sided like say <==> if your looking at the end of it

First pic brand new Husqvarna chain out of the box

Second pic is same tooth after filing with the double beveled

I went from throwing chips to throwing mulch....

Attachments

• 7C864FDD-E4E0-44E0-80A7-61D73E425782.jpeg
    7C864FDD-E4E0-44E0-80A7-61D73E425782.jpeg
    329.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 212D1C9C-DDA7-476B-9B9E-C7135B414697.jpeg
    212D1C9C-DDA7-476B-9B9E-C7135B414697.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back