Speeco 4-Way Wedge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've noticed that their 4ways are recommended for softwood .

Probably just a disclaimer, so when it doesn't push through a knotty hardwood round, they can say "well, softwood only." Just like the little electric splitters say nothing more than 6", but if it is a straight round you can do well over 12".

Could it have something to do with the strength of the foot on the speeco splitters? I remember reading about the foot separating or bending on some of the older machines. I run a 4 way on my 20 ton american with very few issues so the tonnage should not be the reasoning behind the softwood disclaimer.

Speeco builds some very quality splitters, and I have been very pleased with my 35 ton model, but for some reason Speeco missed the boat entirely with their four way head.Its a joke, and not worth the expense. And here is why.

I bought the slip on model with my splitter three months ago, and the horizontal wings are cut short enough so that the entire head will pass back through the log strippers. The "blades" are so short, they are pointless.In just about every chunk I have passed through the thing, the blades do nothing but make a crack horizontally, and you end up yanking the fourway head off and busting the thing again anyway.WTF were they thinking?Since when is a two inch blade sufficient to split a chunk of wood?

I got some half inch plate and cut it to match the wings, and welded them on to the end of the wings, extending the blades out an additional four inches, and it splits like it should.Sure, you cant pull the ram back through the log strippers, but that is a bonus.When the ram retracts, the four way head bumps back against the stripper and stops the cycle, working perfectly for up to 20 inch rounds.

If speeco had actually thrown some rounds up on a splitter and tried that four way head, they would have realized that they need to go back to the drawing board on that one.Sure, the slip on is only $60, but it dang sure should work better than it does out of the box.If you buy one, plan on doing some mods just to get it to work they way it should.

Speeco builds some very quality splitters, and I have been very pleased with my 35 ton model, but for some reason Speeco missed the boat entirely with their four way head.Its a joke, and not worth the expense. And here is why.

I bought the slip on model with my splitter three months ago, and the horizontal wings are cut short enough so that the entire head will pass back through the log strippers. The "blades" are so short, they are pointless.In just about every chunk I have passed through the thing, the blades do nothing but make a crack horizontally, and you end up yanking the fourway head off and busting the thing again anyway.WTF were they thinking?Since when is a two inch blade sufficient to split a chunk of wood?

I got some half inch plate and cut it to match the wings, and welded them on to the end of the wings, extending the blades out an additional four inches, and it splits like it should.Sure, you cant pull the ram back through the log strippers, but that is a bonus.When the ram retracts, the four way head bumps back against the stripper and stops the cycle, working perfectly for up to 20 inch rounds.

If speeco had actually thrown some rounds up on a splitter and tried that four way head, they would have realized that they need to go back to the drawing board on that one.Sure, the slip on is only $60, but it dang sure should work better than it does out of the box.If you buy one, plan on doing some mods just to get it to work they way it should.
I was wondering how you liked that 4-way I'm glad now I waited.Although I still plan on building my own.

I had that one with my other splitter, but had to modify it to fit the profile of my wedge. Keep in mind that unless you have a NT splitter, it may not fit the profile of your own splitter. If I remember correctly, the NT splitter has a very narrow wedge, a good bit narrower than a speeco, and if you try and use it without modifying it it will just split the 4 way wedge right open.

Other than that, it was a good 4 way, and it was very productive.I wish I hadnt sold it along with the old splitter, I woulda modified it to use on my speeco and saved myself some grief.

bought the speeco 4-way and for my splitting it is a waste of time as at least half of the peices do not split apart, they just crack a little- birch, maple and oak

I bought the one rated for softwood and broke it within 30 minutes on a piece of oak. I am one of the two reviews posted on OMNI manufacturing. The design is fine but it will not stand up to consistent hardwood use which it states clearly in the advertisement. I just ordered the four way replacement wedge for the 22t-25t splitter. I will report to the site as soon as I get it.

Back