Firewood roundhouse

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! I hope it stands long enough for the experiment to work out. I used cross poles at 3' and 6' for some stability. We'll see ...

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Nice job stacking, I've stacked three that way and currently burning my second, some wood dries better than others in the stack. The best part of stacking that way is that its a space saver and it might be a way to keep dementia at bay because you have to think your way around the pile.

There is a post in the center, just a small saplings. I also didn't stack the center pcs vertically, just tossed them in. Puts less pressure on the outside walls. Ends up being a bit less wood though, I figure I have 1.33 cord in there. 7ft diameter, 7ft tall.

I read the title and thought Chuck Norris was going to be involved somehow...And then he wasn't. :rock:

Adjudicate me here, why would that type of stack dry quicker than a normal wall? Am I missing a wheel?

Beat me to it. Im wondering the same thing. Can the OP elaborate on why this would help dry the wood faster? or anyone for that matter. I don't know how they are constructed but by looking at it seems like air flow my be impeded by such a design, as opposed to a traditional stack. Someone please educate me about this lol

Beat me to it. Im wondering the same thing. Can the OP elaborate on why this would help dry the wood faster? or anyone for that matter. I don't know how they are constructed but by looking at it seems like air flow my be impeded by such a design, as opposed to a traditional stack. Someone please educate me about this lol
probably light a fire in the middle. It will dry the wood around the circle evenly.

The theory is that the air entering the woodpile will be drawn upward through the middle of the stack, creating a chimney effect. I know, I am skeptical as well, hence the experiment. I have a straight stack as well for my control, same wood cut and split at the same times. Time will tell ...

The theory is that the air entering the woodpile will be drawn upward through the middle of the stack, creating a chimney effect. I know, I am skeptical as well, hence the experiment. I have a straight stack as well for my control, same wood cut and split at the same times. Time will tell ...

That is the theory I've heard as well. If the interior of the pile were alway warmer then air would rise through the middle and be drawn in the bottom. I put a temperature sensor in the middle of my HH and it was always cooler never warmer. If anything, air was sinking in the pile and being drawn in from the upper portion. Someone did a more scientific experiment a few years ago and concluded that drying time is not accelerated in a HH. I'm going to continue building them anyway because I like the way they look.

I'd be paranoid about doing that sort of thing with softer woods and getting rot in the middle. I've had fungus grow on even harder stuff like sugar maple and red oak if at least one end isn't exposed to fairly good air circ when stacked. I don't have a lot of experience with loose piles, but they seem to dry okay the few times I've done it.

WestMIFirewood-

What was the moisture content and specie of the wood at the start of all this?

I do not have a moisture content reader. The wood is a mix of cherry, beech, and maple. Trees were felled between Sept and Nov, split in late Dec.

Latest posts

Back