Ever play hooky from work to cut wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, called the boss the other day told him I was'nt feeling well. He asked what was wrong I told him I had anal glacoma and could'nt see my a$$ comeing to work today.

I had to call in sick once: a YMCA was being built about 5 miles from my house and they bulldozed down a couple hundred trees to make way for the new road being built. I saw this happening on my way home from work on Thursday and stopped by and introduced myself to the foreman. I asked what was going to happen with all those trees. He said "we're going to bury them." I nearly crapped my pants. I asked "can I cut some up for firewood?" He said "take all you want but by Monday they're going under the dirt."

So, needless to say, for the next three days, I cut and hauled as much wood as possible with my Ford Ranger 4x4 loaded to the gills every trip. I barely stopped to eat. By the time I dragged my a$$ into work on Monday, I really needed a sick day because I could barely move my arms and my legs and back was as sore as heck too. :rock:

Oh, a funny thing happened too: when I was cutting on Saturday a lady cop from the town rolled by to ask what I was doing and did I have permission. Luckily, with sweat running down my face into my eyes, I remembered the name of the foreman. She called the construction company. Thankfully, she was able to get ahold of the foreman and he verified that he spoke with me about the trees and so long as I wasn't cutting down any standing trees I was free to take what I wanted. Some other dudes showed up on Sunday, but by then I had hauled out so many loads and was nearing my physical limits of effort that I didn't really care, plus, there were still a 150+ trees on the ground so it wasn't like they were going to reduce my haul. And, not to be a saw snob or anything, but when they broke out their Wildthings I knew there wasn't too much to worry about: my Husky 266SE with square ground 73LG was throwing some monster chips!

Totally worth it calling in sick!

Being my own boss, and master of my schedule, I cut when I darn well please!

Unfortunately, I haven't had much opportunity, but I got a nice score today - A HUGE tulip poplar tree. I know - not the best burning, but it'll be great for the cool nights in Spring and Fall.

The only problem is that it's already cut into rounds, and I have no need to bring a saw - just the labor of rolling all that into the truck and trailer. Better bring a couple buddies.

Branchbuzzer - your avatar - is that from "The Magnificant Seven?"

Yes indeed, the scene where Charles Bronson is splitting wood. His technique could use some improvement, but....

Vin: We heard you got that Salinas thing cleaned up in five weeks.
O'Reilly: They paid me $800 for that one.
Vin: And Johnson County in four weeks.
O'Reilly: They paid me $500 for that one.
Vin: You cost a lot.
O'Reilly: [proudly] Yeah, I cost a lot.
Chris: The pay is $20.
[Chris and Vin turn and walk away]
O'Reilly: [Calling after them] $20? Right now, that's a lot.

I work on the road a week at a time... actually 6 days with one off to wash clothes and go to the bank. No sick days are allowed in my job. altho i have taken a whole week off to cut wood. the boss doesnt like it much but usually by late october im sick of the job anyway and wanting a mini layoff before the long winter layoff. i also cut wood all winter but its more fun when im supposed to be someplace else. i cant rely on being able to cut in the winter either since im also a mechanic and do snow removal. gotta stay busy makin money to afford my toys:D

I work at a family owned business (my brother and his wife own it), we quit calling them "sick days" several years ago because none of us would take a day off for illness (unless severely, horribly ill)... we just call them "personal days" now. I usually take my "personal days" during beautiful weather in spring and fall. I've been know to cut wood for part of the day... but on those beautiful, sunshine days the beer cooler beckons me shortly after lunch. I do my best to resist the voice calling me to the cooler until Happy Hour (4:00 PM at out house), but some days I'm weak... and some days I'm exceptionally weak. I really know I'm in trouble when the wife says, "Hey, let's have an early Happy Hour today" (typically that means she's in the mood for all kinds of adult fun, if ya' get my drift?)... the anticipation prevents me from getting much done on those days.

Hey, us old married guys have ta' take it when we can get it!!!!

Being my own boss, and master of my schedule, I cut when I darn well please!

Unfortunately, I haven't had much opportunity, but I got a nice score today - A HUGE tulip poplar tree. I know - not the best burning, but it'll be great for the cool nights in Spring and Fall.

The only problem is that it's already cut into rounds, and I have no need to bring a saw - just the labor of rolling all that into the truck and trailer. Better bring a couple buddies.

A piece of poplar is much harder to move than a piece of oak, hedge, etc. of identical weight. It's a proven law of physics.

I work at a family owned business (my brother and his wife own it), we quit calling them "sick days" several years ago because none of us would take a day off for illness (unless severely, horribly ill)... we just call them "personal days" now. I usually take my "personal days" during beautiful weather in spring and fall. I've been know to cut wood for part of the day... but on those beautiful, sunshine days the beer cooler beckons me shortly after lunch. I do my best to resist the voice calling me to the cooler until Happy Hour (4:00 PM at out house), but some days I'm weak... and some days I'm exceptionally weak. I really know I'm in trouble when the wife says, "Hey, let's have an early Happy Hour today" (typically that means she's in the mood for all kinds of adult fun, if ya' get my drift?)... the anticipation prevents me from getting much done on those days.

Hey, us old married guys have ta' take it when we can get it!!!!

Not sure i want to know what kind of adult fun takes place in the out house at or before 4 pm around there...
i bout spit my dew at the screen readin that tho so i had to say something

Not a bad idea! Its just that I only work 4 days a week. Love them tens! so I get three days of wood cutting in every week if I want. Now I love cutting wood but after three days of it i need to go back to work so I can rest. Today I started at 8 and finished at 4:30. Stop at the car wash to get all the mud off, beer store next and now I'm home and almost dry with a slight buzz settling in. What a day!:hmm3grin2orange:

Not a bad idea! Its just that I only work 4 days a week. Love them tens! so I get three days of wood cutting in every week if I want. Now I love cutting wood but after three days of it i need to go back to work so I can rest. Today I started at 8 and finished at 4:30. Stop at the car wash to get all the mud off, beer store next and now I'm home and almost dry with a slight buzz settling in. What a day!:hmm3grin2orange:

Imagine how good you'll feel when you start drinking the beer!

Back