Challenges Of Working On Saws In Cold...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitroman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So do you have any stories about working on your saws in cold weather, and the work went South?

A couple weeks ago I received my tank vent and plug to R&R in my 394xp. It was only -27*F (-33*C) outside, not windy at all so outside I went. Everything is going fine, install my parts, and now I am re-assembling the saw. I have the floor of the carb box loose so I can carefully slide in the Seal Collar (part No. 503-52-4401 in the graphic), which is a soft plastic/relatively stiff rubber collar that seals off the carb box from the cylinder heat, but still allows for some flexibility. Knowing unfortunate events occur at lower temperatures, I gently pressed this down onto the carb box. Note: there are grooves provided on the sides and bottom of the collar, they are not loose but not real tight either.
394xp_Seal_Collar.jpg

The collar disintegrated into about 16 pieces. It didn't shatter, it just made a funny "PLACK" sound and fell into the pieces. :angry: At this point Power Words accomplish nothing, so I carefully put the parts in a small box and made sure all orifices were plugged and went back in the house to order two collars. Collars have arrived but since it is STILL around -30*F (-34*C), I will work on this later but will have a small electric heater pointed towards the motor and a heatgun to make sure the collar is warm when I press down.

Anyone have a good story?

i did about the same thing a few years ago,,, it was about 5 degrees out,, i had to pee bad,,, i went to the nearest tree,, dropped my zipper and grabbed the wrong freaking hair,, it broke off and i still peed down my leg:bang::bang::bang:
i just could not resist:D:D

i did about the same thing a few years ago,,, it was about 5 degrees out,, i had to pee bad,,, i went to the nearest tree,, dropped my zipper and grabbed the wrong freaking hair,, it broke off and i still peed down my leg:bang::bang::bang:

ROFLMFAO!!

Yup, when you unzip and Mr. Happy feels the cold, he gets mighty shy, the addition of several layers of clothing helps not a whit. I have many times embarressed myself by wetting hands, legs, and clothing. I remember once on the 'Slope, I was at a 45 degree angle, one arm holding me up while I was leaning against the side of a truck, the other digging around trying to find Mr. Happy 'cause I REALLY had to go and the four inches of clothing was exceptionally frustrating. I think I ended up with more on me than the ground.

It is just one of those things we deal with when outside. I don't tell my wife.:msp_biggrin:

You know, I bet you live in a awesome part of the country. But I think I would just move away during the winter! Follow the ducks down the Flyway Highway! haha

You know its cold out when you have to poke your finger up your butt cause when that cold air hits him,Mr Happy shrivels up and tries to look like Miss Happy and you have to poke him out Scott

HA HA , So I'm NOT the only one who has pulled a hair out and pissed his pants!!

Back