What Moisture % is acceptable??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awwwww man, lighten-up on the boys logbutcher.
We live in an electronic gadgetry filled world now-a-days, the result of cheap, overseas produced semiconductors. There’s a gadget for everything, I even saw one being advertised that would diagnose your sick car by simply plugging it into the cigar lighter. Personally I’m not a “gadget” person myself… probably wouldn’t even carry a cell phone if work didn’t supply it and require it (I leave it in the work truck when I’m not working). I carry it, it rings (it doesn’t play a song) when someone calls, and people answer when I call them… They tell me it will take pictures (shrug), I guess it will send and receive text messages (what’s the point, if I call them I get a real-time conversation… and I don’t know how to send or receive them anyway), supposedly it has a calculator and calendar (maybe the calculator would be nice if I had a use for calculus equations, and I prefer the pretty-girl paper calendar stuck on my dash), my daughter says it has an alarm clock (O…..K…..?), and a phone book (I already know the phone numbers of people I call… to my thinking, a phone book is used when you need to call a number you’ve never called before). I can remember when the most impressive electronic gadget was a pocket calculator, but only geeks and Poindexter carried ‘em… now everybody is a geek, and worse yet, they think it’s “cool” to be a geek!

It does amaze me though… that people near live-and-die by their electronic gadgets. I mean, c’mon!! When the battery goes dead on my daughter’s cell phone the world stops turning… she goes into shut-down mode until the battery gets re-charged. Good lord, when I was her age I had to ask permission if I wanted to use the phone hanging on the kitchen wall. Where I work, we’re a U.S. Cellular Agent (I don’t handle that end of it, and I’m not allowed to :rock:) and people come in with tears rolling down their cheeks because the cell phone quit… WTF?

Someday this world-wide communications, gadgetry network is gonna’ crash big-time… and it will be just like a science fiction movie, everyone born after 1970 will shut-down, freeze like a statue, until the network comes back on-line. It would be funny if it wasn’t so sick.

Last edited:
Ah Spidy, you nailed it: Needs......wants. The olde paradox.

No "lightening up on the boys".....nosiree.:angry2:

Butt, I'm opinionated as needed ( not wanted ). This firewood thing is a high labor ( "labour" for the Commonwealth ), high skill, low tech thing for most of us.
Do we really really need that 30 Ton 20 HP Rapid Split Super Duper machine for home use ? Some here stihl use the olde back, maul, steel wedges, and manpower to do their yearly cords. For personal use is a MS 660 with a 32" bar honestly a need, or is it the "mine is bigger" syndrome ? As for "telling" the moisture content of a split with silly tiny tiny prongs that guzinta the wood maybe 1/8", kinda as useful as a male t%t !

Avalancher and other sellers do have a tough grind with 'ignorant' customers. Then if that's the case, educate, or don't sell to the unwashed. Set aside wood to truly season, sell at a premium. That's how firewood sellers do it here.

Otherwise, I'll keep approaching the 21st century version of Luddism. No cell phone since it doesn't ( won't, cannot ) operate in this wilderness, no John Deere with those $$$$$$ FEL attachments for under 10 cords/year, and certainly no 30 Ton smelly, unreliable monster for splitting. Nosireee. And I cut alone without cell often a mile or less from a road or "safety". Two (2) simple wood stoves will do. And, BTW, when the house temps get to below 60 F in winter mornings, I and my co-inhabitants will not whine; it is normal when heating with wood. That's one large delta when outdoors is in the singles or below. True confession: there is Glock in the house; what a technological marvel. Hey, you have to have some hypocrisy.

Subscript: why are all of you heating bedrooms ? Poll.

OP, my experience is with catalysts designed for vehicles so I'll give you an educated guess. The main reactants in vehicle exhaust are the same as the stove. Water is a natural product of the catalyst aided reaction in both cases and the heat produced almost certainly ensures that water will be in vapor form. Acids are produced in both environments although I'd believe that more complex dino fuel with included suplhur produces more acids. I'd expect the stove catalyst is designed for a high heat, relatively high humidity environment and with the warranty offered by the stove maker I'd bet ceramics and stainless steel are major components in the cat's construction. Short answer: I wouldn't be worried about damp logs damaging the converter. If someone with more direct experience has a different answer then we'll both learn something new today.

Best: learn to determine whether or not your splits are ready for your burners without gimmick:
weight
looks
sound of 2 splits banged
experience 'telling' seasoned firewood

That comes with time. And mistakes. Now, if I just started burning wood when it's -40, and if I'd just installed a $2 - $3K stove, and maybe I had concerns over burning my house down due to inexperience, I'd want every edge to help me learn ASAP to get it right. If the moisture meter provides a good way for me to learn then I'd use it. And tell me, just how do I get good advice about the "sound" of two splits banged over the internet? Or the weight of the logs I just bought? Or the "you just gotta know" sense that someone develops because they've burned since near the time man stepped on the moon? With the meter I can say "I measured and got this number does it seem good?" and it can be compared to other guys' results. Time and paying attention will make that meter obsolete.

LB, don't hate the technology because it exists. Not much argument for carrying buckets of water from the spring when the pump in the well puts it right at the sink. The tide of human nature is well known and the river of "work harder because it's good for ya" isn't effective against it. If you're not fabricating your own stone n wood axes to work your wood then you're just as guilty of being a "typical" human as anyone else.

I gotta go clean the cat box. I got some of that new, high tech "clumping" cat litter and a scoop with holes so I can pick out the clumps. It promises to be a real improvement.

Its funny that Logbutcher took the time to step out of his "cave" of hating technology to log into his stone tablet (computer) and post stupid comments on a thread that was asking advise. If you enjoy writing stupid comments please fequent the yahoo news section, articles along the lines that report a famous person, with type II diabetes, eating a cheese burger. I work hard for my money and dont want to waste what I have invested. Ive cut tons of wood for various uses, but never had a reason to figure out what is good for burning till this week. So I say this with great repent, Please forgive me O'Logbutcher The Great, for I am just a feeble peasent onlooking into your infamus wood falling kingdom. For all of you who added meaningful advise, I thank you. I brought a pile in the house, split it again to smaller pieces, and have it stacked up close to the stove (without causing a fire hazard) and it seems to be dropping mositure quickly. Thanks again.

Its funny that Logbutcher took the time to step out of his "cave" of hating technology to log into his stone tablet (computer) and post stupid comments on a thread that was asking advise. If you enjoy writing stupid comments please fequent the yahoo news section, articles along the lines that report a famous person, with type II diabetes, eating a cheese burger. I work hard for my money and dont want to waste what I have invested. Ive cut tons of wood for various uses, but never had a reason to figure out what is good for burning till this week. So I say this with great repent, Please forgive me O'Logbutcher The Great, for I am just a feeble peasent onlooking into your infamus wood falling kingdom. For all of you who added meaningful advise, I thank you. I brought a pile in the house, split it again to smaller pieces, and have it stacked up close to the stove (without causing a fire hazard) and it seems to be dropping mositure quickly. Thanks again.

I will say Bobaty that this can be a tough place to be sometimes. If your gonna play here (which some call learning) you have to keep an open mind. I'm new here and I ask questions all the time that any woodburner should know but guess what I'm not a "seasoned" wood burner. I came here to learn and I don't give a rat's posterior if anyone thinks I'm stupid or not. As long as I get an answer. The biggest thing I have learned so far is that firewood and anything related to it is very dear to a lot of people. Everyone has their way and their opinion. I like to see people endeared to something besides a TV or a bar and that keeps me coming back here. I was gonna buy:givebeer: a moisture meter I just haven't got around to it yet. My cell phone....not my favorite but it does take great pics. My internet? Oh geez I love that.
Keep the passion and by the way Einhorn is Finkel.
-Bushman

LB The O' Great speaking as the Grammar Nazi. Use proper spelling please. With the technology at hand Bobbie, it is simple. Use are ordered to also use proper aprostrophes as in 'till or better "until". . Now I am unable to understand the "repent" thing. 'Splain.
You are indeed a feeble "peasent", whatever that is.
BTW: thanks for the cave analogy. Not bad considering your erroneous ways. :givebeer:

I will say Bobaty that this can be a tough place to be sometimes. If your gonna play here (which some call learning) you have to keep an open mind. I'm new here and I ask questions all the time that any woodburner should know but guess what I'm not a "seasoned" wood burner. I came here to learn and I don't give a rat's posterior if anyone thinks I'm stupid or not. As long as I get an answer. The biggest thing I have learned so far is that firewood and anything related to it is very dear to a lot of people. Everyone has their way and their opinion. I like to see people endeared to something besides a TV or a bar and that keeps me coming back here. I was gonna buy:givebeer: a moisture meter I just haven't got around to it yet. My cell phone....not my favorite but it does take great pics. My internet? Oh geez I love that.
Keep the passion and by the way Einhorn is Finkel.
-Bushman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, what is "Finkel". Who is "Einhorn" ?
Passion is good. Greed is good.

Best to you all M².

[/FONT]

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, what is "Finkel". Who is "Einhorn" ?
Passion is good. Greed is good.

Best to you all M².[/QUOTE]

Jim Carey. Pet detective. Ace Ventura. make you laugh 'till u pee. Must see.
Transmission ended.:fart:

Geez guys,must have missed the full moon that's apparently up there somewhere! what a tough crowd! This is exactly the type of repartee that i enjoy. there are some very clever folks on this site-not only clever with the mechanics of woodburning,but clever also with the written word. haha. a reread of this thread assures me that no malice is intended towards anyone-just a healthy exchange by some opinionated people. art

Opinionated is the politically correct word. I prefer the Old English term of stubborn. As in those SOBs are as stubborn as a hitch full of Army reject mules.

You AIN'T gonna change LogButcher's mind, you have no hope of changing those that have the opposing view's mind, and those of us that have an opinion that doesn't match either one are reaching for the unsubscribe button.

Bought a Lowes meter for fun and after checking a half dozen pieces at less than 20 % meter still kept burning the wood, the meter went into a box. Buddy of mine decided selling wood is a (quick way to lose money) quick way to get rich, sold his first cord and got the call "It will not burn". Came over and just the appearance the wood was well seasoned( cut 2 years ago), got the meter out read under 20, then borrows it to show them the wood is not the issue. When they saw the numbers they were satisfied with the wood. Chimney was about 10 ft short so no draft and it was their first year burning wood. Told him need application for customers to fill out on experience burning wood to sort out who to sell to.

Last edited:
Time

Opinionated is the politically correct word. I prefer the Old English term of stubborn. As in those SOBs are as stubborn as a hitch full of Army reject mules.

You AIN'T gonna change LogButcher's mind, you have no hope of changing those that have the opposing view's mind, and those of us that have an opinion that doesn't match either one are reaching for the unsubscribe button.

Steve:

Mules have not been in any mil since the Spanish-American War. Just my opinion. Now the Taliban on the other hand.............

As for using gadgets to measure what is more easily done by common sense and experience and learning, the mind WILL ( note caps as in AIN'T ) change when there is reasonable science and fact checks to demonstrate that those tiny tiny prongs measure anything of value for firewood since this thread is all about moisture, no ? It's all about "show me" . Then change of mind. Until then....

So, here we have simple, easily learned techniques for determining when firewood is ready for heating--weight, color, cracks, sound, sizzle--and I'm "opinionated" to say this ???:bang: This is along the lines of " I'll love you in the morning....", or " There's this bridge for sale....", or "The check is in the mail...". :jester:

JMNSHEO

P.S. Then there is the concept of one's time to stick those tiny tiny prongs into every split BEFORE burns. :msp_confused: Time.

LB The O' Great speaking as the Grammar Nazi. Use proper spelling please. With the technology at hand Bobbie, it is simple. Use are ordered to also use proper aprostrophes as in 'till or better "until". . Now I am unable to understand the "repent" thing. 'Splain.
You are indeed a feeble "peasent", whatever that is.
BTW: thanks for the cave analogy. Not bad considering your erroneous ways. :givebeer:

"You also are ordered to use . . . " Part of this correction is a little nitpicky. I was taught never to split an infinitive, which sometimes gets a little cumbersome, but not doing so is an improvement here.

"apostrophe"

"'til" is the proper contraction of "until"

Poster meant "repentance."

"Peasant," we all know what that is. "E" instead of "A," not much worse than "aprostrophe." Hard to believe that one got by spell check.

You live by freshman English, you die by freshman English. :cheers: I generally think of AS as a bar. Never correct someone's grammar in a bar. :msp_smile:

"You also are ordered to use . . . " Part of this correction is a little nitpicky. I was taught never to split an infinitive, which sometimes gets a little cumbersome, but not doing so is an improvement here.

Infinitive splitting is allowed now. Not "a little" but very "nitpicky"; meant so.

"apostrophe"

Agreed...you win nothing Howell.

"'til" is the proper contraction of "until"

'Tis so, but without the APOSTROPHE it is without meaning.

Poster meant "repentance."

We are aware of that. I do repent.

"Peasant," we all know what that is. "E" instead of "A," not much worse than "aprostrophe." Hard to believe that one got by spell check.

No, it is not so obvious. Some will not utilise ( utilize ) Spell Check.

You live by freshman English, you die by freshman English. :cheers: I generally think of AS as a bar. Never correct someone's grammar in a bar. :msp_smile:

Agreed once again Howell. AS is a an ersatz "bar" without eyeballs. Never discuss M² in a bar, or correct poor manners. MP's ( N.B. the apostrophe ) have a tendancy to enjoy bar brawls.

Overall you are correct. I am right.

Now back to the original question: is a M² a need or a want crutch ?

green wood

My buddy,s 16 year old central only gets green wood.he is a logger,brings a load home at night on the pickup and right in the fire it goes.Don't believe he,s ever burnt"dry" wood.Heats a two story log cabin and water for his 4 boys and wife.

Why moisture content is important in our area. (Fairbanks)

Hi all, I was searching this forum looking for any information on moisture meters good or bad types etc. and came across this post. I can probably explain (since the original poster may not be coming back) why moisture content is so important in our area. We have very little wind or air movement, when it is below zero (it happens a lot for long periods of time) in this area, the wood smoke, coal smoke, etc. fills the air and doesn't leave for days or weeks. Well seasoned wood is important but we have a short season for cutting, splitting, stacking, and having a little fun in the sun before winter is here again. A lot of people also move in and out of the area, if you move here in the fall it is pretty hard to get your firewood ready by winter so you have to buy it. There are a lot of people who sell "seasoned" firewood and it won't burn worth a crap for the $ you pay, it also puts out a lot of excess smoke.

I have the exact same wood stove as the original poster. Yup, it is a great stove (had it for 5 plus years) and it really does well for our winter conditions, but a lot of the burn is wasted (about 300 bucks a cord now) if it is not seasoned. We need a minimum of 6 months (preferably a year) for split wood to season.

I plan to get a moisture meter so I can check not only my firewood, but also any that I buy, BEFORE I pay for it. If the moisture content is not low enough, I send the truckload back and find someone more honest. I wish everyone in the Fairbanks area would do the same, I am damn tired of shady firewood dealers around here. :msp_mad:

Hi all, I was searching this forum looking for any information on moisture meters good or bad types etc. and came across this post. I can probably explain (since the original poster may not be coming back) why moisture content is so important in our area. We have very little wind or air movement, when it is below zero (it happens a lot for long periods of time) in this area, the wood smoke, coal smoke, etc. fills the air and doesn't leave for days or weeks. Well seasoned wood is important but we have a short season for cutting, splitting, stacking, and having a little fun in the sun before winter is here again. A lot of people also move in and out of the area, if you move here in the fall it is pretty hard to get your firewood ready by winter so you have to buy it. There are a lot of people who sell "seasoned" firewood and it won't burn worth a crap for the $ you pay, it also puts out a lot of excess smoke.

I have the exact same wood stove as the original poster. Yup, it is a great stove (had it for 5 plus years) and it really does well for our winter conditions, but a lot of the burn is wasted (about 300 bucks a cord now) if it is not seasoned. We need a minimum of 6 months (preferably a year) for split wood to season.

I plan to get a moisture meter so I can check not only my firewood, but also any that I buy, BEFORE I pay for it. If the moisture content is not low enough, I send the truckload back and find someone more honest. I wish everyone in the Fairbanks area would do the same, I am damn tired of shady firewood dealers around here. :msp_mad:

You guys got it ROUGH. Good luck in your endeavors to get some dry wood. Sounds like you need to be five years out just to have any decent dry stash!

I know if I lived there I would want like three foot thick walls!

When I was younger I thought about moving there...but that's as far as it got. Now..I honestly don't think I could "cut" it there, pun intended.

Wood doesn't really "season". It dries, along and across the grain to an exposed surface. ;)

I bring in wood from various covered piles outside and ~15% MC, and stack it near the stove, whereupon the drying process gets serious. Depending on size (8" long here) and species you can get the MC down into the single-digits pretty quickly. Then they light and settle down quickly. (Water is a lousy fuel.)

Latest posts

Back