CA landowner shopping for a second saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georgie

Reaction score
Hello all, I have been lurking for a bit now and have decided to wade in, here we go!!

I currently have a Husqvarna 350, i have a 16" bar and I'm not sure of the chain type. I love my saw, it has never let me down other than being a bit of a grump on initial start up. Even that is not a problem once we got to know each other a bit better. The weight is great for me and for the type of cutting I usually do it has been great.
I am in the market for something a bit larger. I want to do some felling and the larger diameter of the lower half ot the trees with my 350 is a bit slow (cuts from bot sides, longer cuts, etc). I live in the Gold Country foothills of CA and have recently added more land to maintain. For the most part we have Bull Pine (18-30"), Live Oak (8-18"), Valley and Black Oak (8-20").

I would like to keep the cost to a reasonable amount, and although many here will consider it sacrilege I am leaning toward buying from the Big Box I work in. My discount along with the replacement warranty I can add makes more sense than going to my local dealer.

I have available to me the Husky 455, 450, and 460 all in a similar price range and I am wondering where I should go. I have read about the many "mods" that can be done to this line of saws to make them closer to the "xp" line of saws. My question would be are these things i could do my self? Would modification be necessary on all three models? and finally the 460 comes with a 24" bar and chain combo, this seems excessive to me, what do you all think?

Thanks in advance, JR

I don't know much about the 460 but I'd imagine 24" is way to much bar for that saw, I could be wrong though...

If I were you I'd look for a 70cc saw, if you can't afford new look for a used one. 372xp or 576xp Husky, 441 or 460 Stihl, can't remember the Makita numbers but they'd be worth a look as well.

24"+ in hardwoods is at least 70cc territory in my opinion, there's going to be little gain over your 350 otherwise.

cheers,
Joe

forgot to say, I believe the 450 is the replacement model for the 350 so no benefit in size at all for the smaller two of the saws you mentioned

Thanks Joe!

I did see a post in the classified for a rebuilt 372, but it is hard to buy such a large item when you don't know the market very well.
I guess that could be a good add on to the thread; anyone have recommendations on where to get a used/rebuilt 372 xp from a reputable seller? Someone in Nor Cal would be a plus!

The 350 is a 50.2cc saw and the 460 is a 60.3cc saw. If you got a 460 with a 20 inch bar it would cut faster than what you have now. With a 60cc saw you could get away with a 24 inch bar but the 20 inch would be much faster and better for the saw itself and would not bog down as much especially in hard wood.

IMO, if I were you, I would treat this as an investment and have some fun while doing it. Try out or handle the saws you may be interested in. IMHO, if I were you I would strongly consider saws in the 70cc range. The Husqvarna 372, 576AT Stihl 440,460. I would also seriously consider a Dolmar 7900. You are like me a landowner therefor any of these saws should give you years and years of trouble free service. Stock for stock you will not find a stronger saw than the Dolmar 7900. The power to weight ratio is excellent. The Stihl MS441 M-Tronic is another saw to consider IMO. The beauty of the M-Tronic is max power at any elevation. You do not have to tune the saw. I personally have not ran a 441M However, I have ran the Husqvarna 576AT as mentioned earlier. Its one of the best stock saws I have ever ran.
Good luck and happy hunting.

Last edited:
Stihl 044/440 or 441CM. I am up in the foothills too, if you want you can swing by and give my 441cm a try, also have a 044/460 hybrid you can try that I might be willing to part with...

JR the bottom line is that there is nothing wrong with the Husqvarna 460 saws. You are a home owner and not making a living at this so reliability is not an issue. If you are set on a 24" bar and chain then go to a 70cc range, other wise it sounds like you can get a good deal by working there and a good way to go. I would suggest though no matter what you buy learn and I mean take the time to learn how to tune your saw or else it could be short lived.

Taking in your employment benefits..I'd go 455 with 18" bar..20" max.

I'd rather the 460 if could go down to 20" bar..24" waaay tooo much..!!
:cheers:
J2F

I have available to me the Husky 455, 450, and 460 all in a similar price range and I am wondering where I should go. I have read about the many "mods" that can be done to this line of saws to make them closer to the "xp" line of saws. My question would be are these things i could do my self? Would modification be necessary on all three models? and finally the 460 comes with a 24" bar and chain combo, this seems excessive to me, what do you all think?
I own a 455 w/ 20" B&C with OEM chain, I cut only Ponderosa deadfall for firewood, up to ~30" Dia. at about 9000' in Colo, and that saw is way too small for the task. My guess is you're high too so the saw is de-rated by the altitude.

I'd suggest a good used 70cc class pro saw, lighter and more power than any of the Rancher class saws. There are one or more forum members who deal in such saws. You should get referrals in this thread.

I own a 455 w/ 20" B&C with OEM chain, I cut only Ponderosa deadfall for firewood, up to ~30" Dia. at about 9000' in Colo, and that saw is way too small for the task. My guess is you're high too so the saw is de-rated by the altitude..

Wow 9,000 feet is getting up there, but I believe the OP stated that he is in the foot hills and my guess would be around 4,000 feet.

Good advice so far, and hermit is right if you are at any elevation those BB store saws may be to under-powered... If you cut a various elevation that begs for the husky autotunes (one of the Husky guys will be along w/ model numbers shortly) or the Stihl 441 M-tronic that novaman64 has offered to let you run. Both the husky & stihl in this line can adjust the carb jetting to deal w/ elevatiopns changes you may see.

If you not in varring elevations I would still look for a 70cc saw. My old ms361 would pull the 25" bar, but like the 20" a lot more. If your going to have it buried in 30" pines or 20"+ Oak you'll be happier w/ a 70cc class saw.

dw

Wow 9,000 feet is getting up there, but I believe the OP stated that he is in the foot hills and my guess would be around 4,000 feet.
Where I live 9K is the foothills, I can look across the valley and see a half-dozen 14ers and just north of me are a pair of 13,300+ summits, they're hidden by the "foothills".

Thanks Joe!

I did see a post in the classified for a rebuilt 372, but it is hard to buy such a large item when you don't know the market very well.
I guess that could be a good add on to the thread; anyone have recommendations on where to get a used/rebuilt 372 xp from a reputable seller? Someone in Nor Cal would be a plus!

Stihl 044/440 or 441CM. I am up in the foothills too, if you want you can swing by and give my 441cm a try, also have a 044/460 hybrid you can try that I might be willing to part with...

I live just below Placerville (aka Placertucky.....LOL!!!), and I work in Sacramento. If you are ever cruising through Sacramento let me know, and I'll let you fire up my 288XP, and my 2100CD. Heck you can run my low hour ProMac 800 just to feel some real torque.........LOL!!!!

Latest posts

Back