compare me a 288xp to 372xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pro94lt

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've got a 372xp with a 24 inch bar and love it. 288 owners who have ran 372xps chime in and compere. the 372 is smoot, ok on fuel, and has good power in oak with 24 inch bar. do I need one???

I have a 288 so have no need for a 372. But if one come across the table, I would not refuse it. I have pm'd Normzilla about your query. He should be along shorty to tell you about the 288. Go to the 2101xp top muscle saw of all time thread. Plenty of 288 action in there.

288xp will get the 372xp in bigger wood, bigger chain, and longer bars. I have a 288xp and have run up to a 32in bar in hardwood and it is happy as a pig in ####. My buddy has a 372xp and in hardwood it is really happy and nimble as well as nicely balanced with a 24in bar and will pull a 28in bar with gusto. 288xp gets heavy after a while so that is something to think about, never slows me down but i'm only 23yrs old and built pretty good at 6'1 and 225lbs LOL Don't spend over $300 on a 288xp.

I guess I'm predictable on the muscle side Steve. LOL! O.P In my opinion if you think you may need one then you may. If it is just a want thing that's ok too. 372 is outstanding, and well rounded. The 288 you can handle even the biggesst of wood. It is heavier, and burns more gas then the 372. But power takes fuel more=more fuel. The 288 is a top runner among any muscle saw even new ones today. Lets just say if you get one even stock no matter who you cut with you can hold your head high. But overall comparison 372-288 totally different saws.

288xp will get the 372xp in bigger wood, bigger chain, and longer bars. I have a 288xp and have run up to a 32in bar in hardwood and it is happy as a pig in ####. My buddy has a 372xp and in hardwood it is really happy and nimble as well as nicely balanced with a 24in bar and will pull a 28in bar with gusto. 288xp gets heavy after a while so that is something to think about, never slows me down but i'm only 23yrs old and built pretty good at 6'1 and 225lbs LOL Don't spend over $300 on a 288xp.
Good post, and agreed except the 300 part. I have notice, values going up reasons I think with all new smog stuff for epa, older saws are selling a lot more. Also some ares vary in price maybe not much. I see some beat saws for that price and more. I think some is the eye of the beholder. I saw a unfired 288 full wrap 32in bar, and still in the box! They wanted I think 700, that was at a feed general store. Husqvarna said they would still honor a 2 year warranty if it sold. Only thing stopped me was the money. Had no cash. For me depends on that particular saw and what shape it is in. But agreed 300 is a good starting point. Well built 6-1 225, what is a little guy like you doing with that big saw:D

Unless you find one in the condition like the one I bought from Mastermind- then all voice of reason goes out the door and you spring on it no matter the cost. I love my 288. Normzilla44 turned me on to them in some of his remarks. Had to check them out. Held it- and had to have it. I carry a picture of it on my phone.

288's will absolutely smoke a 372. It is 2lbs heavier, but looses very little in the AV dept. ........and the sound of a 288 is intoxicating.

I love both the 372 and the 288....That "intoxicating sound" of a 288 is so true...I always think of it as a similar sound as a big block Chevy with the 4 barrel wide open.

I have to give the 372 some ground in the AV department...That series of saw does have great AV and I don't care for the spring type mounts in a 288, so always build them with the rubber type AV mounts..I can still run a 288 all day and not have my hands suffer.....Get over a 24" log and the 288 will leave the 372 behind.

A 288 will put a smile on your face every time!:rock:

yes , why not, good saw's.
attachment.php

288's will absolutely smoke a 372. It is 2lbs heavier, but looses very little in the AV dept. ........and the sound of a 288 is intoxicating.

I suspect both the weight and more so the AV difference are a bit larger than that - but I never ran a 288 myself. :msp_confused:

I have two 288's one stock,thanks nmurph ! and the other ported by Srcarr52 and was only running them yesterday and they keep up with the new boys ok !
That said I have two 372's a XPG and XPW both ported and for working in the woods all day i.e. making a living they are the first choice for speed, fuel and comfort.
The 288 and 372 have to be the top two of Husky's line up ?

Back