Old Husqvarna 162SE rebuild. I really need some help.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Husqvarna 162SE was a great saw in it's day.It's the first saw I bought and the one that made me a Husky guy.Flooding sounds like a carb problem to me.Awhile back I had a shop rebuild 2 carbs one off an 024 Stihl and one off an 44 Husky.I mounted the Husky one first and tried to start it but it kept flooding out then I put a working carb off another 44 on and it poped right off.I then put the 024 carb on and it flooded out.Brought them both back and watched him reset the metering lever height,brought them home and both saws ran perfect.

No offense but it does not sound like flooding to me. You say it will not start on lock or full throttle. Flooded saws will only start on these settings. The fact it will idle and then die is another indicator of not enough fuel. If it was flooding out the saw would smoke and sputter like the choke was on. The muffler would be full of mix and it would be running out onto the saw. Is this happening? You don't indicate it.
I live near Placerville and if you are near I invite you to bring it by. I have carburetors that are known good and we will put a good one on it. If it still does the same thing we will look elsewhere. We can get it going I think. Mike

I'm no expert, but this was my first thought, too (not a flooding problem). Did you vacuum test the case after you got it back together? Is there a filter in the gas tank? Just a couple random thoughts on things to check..

Have you double checked the fuel, vent and if there is impulse line routeing? I have no idea how that one saw is set up but I have pulled my hair out in the past with something as simple as a pinched line or one that was hooked up wrong.

No offense but it does not sound like flooding to me. You say it will not start on lock or full throttle. Flooded saws will only start on these settings. The fact it will idle and then die is another indicator of not enough fuel. If it was flooding out the saw would smoke and sputter like the choke was on. The muffler would be full of mix and it would be running out onto the saw. Is this happening? You don't indicate it.
I live near Placerville and if you are near I invite you to bring it by. I have carburetors that are known good and we will put a good one on it. If it still does the same thing we will look elsewhere. We can get it going I think. Mike

Thanks Mike. It has smoke, it sputters, it has mix coming out of the muffler, that's why I mention it is flooding. I am sure it is flooding. It floods worse with the throttle open. It tries to run on idle.
I live just north of Nevada City. What you suggest is a good idea. If I had another carburetor, I would have already put it on there. That actually was my next course of action. I was going to try to find an old one, rebuild it and try that one. Thanks for the offer of help. Do you have lots of saws, parts etc.? Do you work on saws? Hobby, job, or do you use lots of saws? Just curious, not trying to be nosy. I appreciate your offer. I might take you up on it. Maybe we could trade help, or????? Thanks again.

Hell, dont give up yet. This is just getting good.

That's one of my faults. I never quit, or don't know when to quit.
I'm beginning to think this carburetor might have some varnished gas dried in it somewhere, that I wasn't able to clean out. It did just sit in the shed for almost twenty years. I might tear it all the way down again, and soak it for a week or something, and then give another try at rebuilding it. What do you guys think?

That's one of my faults. I never quit, or don't know when to quit.
I'm beginning to think this carburetor might have some varnished gas dried in it somewhere, that I wasn't able to clean out. It did just sit in the shed for almost twenty years. I might tear it all the way down again, and soak it for a week or something, and then give another try at rebuilding it. What do you guys think?

Do you have access to an utlrasonic cleaner? Try that if you can.:msp_biggrin:

Thanks Mike. Here is an update. Apparently this old saw had a problem in the coil. I changed out the coil, and all problems were gone. The old saw runs like a new one. I have put a couple of tanks of fuel through it, and it is doing great. The compression is up to 164 lbs. I still can't quite figure out why it showed a good spark, with the plug out, but wouldn't stay running. The coil would start it, but then quit. Thanks for everyone's input, and support.
Dan

Last edited:
Thanks Mike. Here is an update. Apparently this old saw had a problem in the coil. I changed out the coil, and all problems were gone. The old saw runs like a new one. I have put a couple of tanks of fuel through it, and it is doing great. The compression is up to 164 lbs. I still can't quite figure out why it showed a good spark, with the plug out, but wouldn't stay running. The coil would start it, but then quit. Thanks for everyone's input, and support.
Dan

I have been working on a 162SE as well and replaced the piston and ring, carb kit, fuel line, filter. It will start cold and idle fine. But within a couple of minutes of cutting, it will act like it is flooding, and then quit and won't restart. I have been thinking it is the coil as well. Where is a source for a coil for this? Will a coil from a 61 work on this? I saw one on the bay for $119 which sounds like extortion for that price.

Dan

Sounds to me like the resistance in the coil increased when the saw got warm. I guess another test would be to test the spark cold (visually) and test it hot as well. Just a thought. Perhaps the coil is increasing its resistance warm to the point the spark is affected..

162 SE coil.

I found my coil on e-Bay, but it wasn't that much money. The 162 is basically a souped up, commercial version of the 61. It has the two piece coil system. I am pretty sure any two piece coil off any of the saws with that same crank case, and flywheel will work. I actually took the coil off one of my 266xp saws, and ran it on the 162. That is how I knew the 162 coil was bad, before I bought a new one. If you look around on the web, or ask on Arborsite, you can find out all about parts interchangeability. Good luck.
Dan

Latest posts

Back