Kung Fu and the Art of Wood Splitting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arbonaut

Go Climb It
Reaction score
Many of the tenants of serious martial art study are applicable in your every day life. Self-control, Discipline, Perseverance, Efficiency: these are all attributes which when applied through constant practice will enhance the ability to set goals and attain them.

Martial arts are based on three main roots; physical development, mental development and spiritual development. The physical and fine motor skill development inherent in the pursuit of martial art training will enable one to employ better technique in any physical endeavor. Life is not about flowery fists and embroidery kicks it's about what actually gets done. Indomitable spirit speaks for itself. Successful practitioners turn problems into opportunities. The proof is in the pile.

There’s no doubt that the practice of cutting firewood is good exercise. And wood heat is uplifting for the spirit of people who consider it a primary function of life and for people standing next to the stove. Many of us would do it just to fire up a chainsaw. Saving $300-500 per month on propane is also good for the mood. Cut and burn enough wood and physical and spiritual development grows.

What does mental development have to do with splitting wood? Upon reaching expert level martial art ability you have long been seeking to improve every task in the day. You no longer take it for granted how you walk and breathe because you have cultivated an awareness of these things. When you have been going to a training facility for awhile and you’ve mastered basic technique, you graduate to the next level ---Sparring! In the first few months no matter really what is the difference in physical condition between the instructor and student, students can never figure out why they are being scored upon at will and are totally worn out while the instructor doesn’t appear to be breathing heavy or sweating. At around the Blue Belt level you are informed that you were holding your breath. There is much more energy spent in executing any physical manuever under a high degree of muscle tension than in a state of relaxation. You are tense and holding your breath, he or she is cool and relaxed. Translate this to the physical tasks you do each day. Use proper breathing and conscious relaxation to help you get more work done.

Relaxation will also prevent injury. Take for example the fact that a drunk is less likely to get injured in a car wreck. If you asked them, they might say, “we’ll I wasn’t feelin’ no pain.” But why does it happen that way really? The alcohol or dope has the nervous system detached from the brain. And the same delay in reaction time which often causes or contributes to the situation also prevents the muscles from contracting upon impact. When a muscle stretches and contracts at the same time, you can imagine what happens.

When you relax, you can focus the mind with intensity. Employ presence of mind. Consciously apply this to your work. Channel it through the splitting maul, and the wood stack grows.

place wood on block, pick up maul, swing maul into wood, repeat steps until satisfied :sucks: :bang:

Would someone please insert a picture of the guy from the Dos Equis beer commercial----the one with "worlds most interesting man".

Next thread: "I cut and split the last standing tree on the moon."

One time I had some little smart-mouth get mad at me over a game of billiards. It seriously upset him that I took his $50.oo so easily, winning 5 out of 5. We both retired to our respective ends of the bar… I figured it was over. But nope, he wouldn’t let it go… loudly insisting to his friends that I had cheated him (how do you cheat in billiards?). Soon the accusations of cheating became outright insults, spoken loud enough for the whole bar to hear. After some several minutes of this I had had enough, and offered a trip to the back alley where he could get his satisfaction if he so desired.

Now the little smart-azz starts warning me that I’ve made a huge mistake because he was some sort of “belt” in some sort of “Martial Art” (I don’t remember the specific “color” or the “Art”, ‘cause I really didn’t care). I just walked over to the door and opened it… he couldn’t stall any longer without losing face in front of his friends.

You know what he learned that night? Well, I’ll tell ya’…
He learned you shouldn’t enter a “back alley street fight” unless you know how to street fight in a back alley.

I’d suggest you forget about Kung Fu when you’re swingin’ a splittin’ maul or you’re likely to hurt yourself.

When you can snatch the pebble from my hand it will be time for you to leave grasshooper!!!!

And yet another installment from the moron brigade.

I think woodcutter is trying to set some sort of record for the most frequent pointless threads. What is this like 18-20 in 5 days?

Last edited:
So can I go back to using my hydraulic splitter? Kept trying to split some oak w/ the side of my hand using a karate chop technique I'd seen on a Bruce Lee movie. Let's just say it didn't work so well and my hand is really sore. Silly me for thinkin outside the box and thinkin kung fu would work on a 30" round of oak.

So can I go back to using my hydraulic splitter? Kept trying to split some oak w/ the side of my hand using a karate chop technique I'd seen on a Bruce Lee movie. Let's just say it didn't work so well and my hand is really sore. Silly me for thinkin outside the box and thinkin kung fu would work on a 30" round of oak.

Ah so, silly grasshopper...you must achieve total one-ness with the universe before you can hope achieve your goal. You must study at the feet of the master. You are so unworthy. You must keep trying until your hands resemble four day old egg rolls.

Either that or grab the Speeco 27 ton and fire that mutha up! That'd be my choice.

Kung Fu wood splitting...I don't think it will ever replace hydraulics. Not on my side of the hill, anyway.

Last edited:
Oh.. the Globo resemblance is chilling here :msp_thumbdn:

Fa King....HI YA!!!!! BTW :D

attachment.php

Why dont you jus put some lizzard poop on it!

I was sorry about that and they was sayin it. I saw your name and it wasn't funnt. Please have 'em erase it. Ill send up some (reputation)
Share the love with reputation. Skippy,

Dont Kong Foot me. I Was KIDDEN. Reputation me, I REPutation you. Dark bird Gave me mine.

I was sorry about that and they was sayin it. I saw your name and it wasn't funnt. Please have 'em erase it. Ill send up some (reputation)
Share the love with reputation. Skippy,

Dont Kong Foot me. I Was KIDDEN. Reputation me, I REPutation you. Dark bird Gave me mine.

Holy heck, where do they come from :dizzy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back