Should I be Splitting in cold weather.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am wondering if I split wood in single digit weather if I risk damaging my splitters. How does the cold affect the metal. Then how does the cold affect the frozen wood. I tried some splitting the other day on some fresh cut maple and I could not split some of the big rounds. 4ft diameter by 26 inches long. It was the day after a very cold night so the wood was frozen hard. I don’t mind the cold because I am sitting in the heated bobcat. But little concerned about the equipment. Oh I am using upside down log splitters. Single two stage wedge and a four way wedge.

I have broken wings off six way splitter wedge 3 times. Always when temp was below -10C. Pain in the butt for me to get welded properly. I no longer work when forecast high temp is less than -10C. Just not worth the hassle.

Cold temperatures are exactly a good reason not to pull the hydraulic splitter out at all . If the temps are below 5 to 10 below you can split anything you want without a splitter with one swing.

Why not, What else is there to do? No it wont hurt the splitter. To avoid possible cylinder damage let oil warm up a bit and make sure you completely cycle cylinder several times to exchange cold oil with warm and you wont have any problems. Excavators dozers ect have lots more hydraulics and value than a wood splitter and have no problems working year round. The old 30+/-yr splitter gets worked in anything from -15F - +100F all original hydraulics, and it averages around 10 cord per year. I try to do all my firewood work during burning season.

I have used mine when it was below zero F. Just let it run for 10 minutes and then cycle the ram a few times. I like to run it at 2/3 throttle until I can feel the oil is warm by touching the return hose. The seals need to warm up some before being put under pressure.

Hells yeah! It's the best time, no bugs or swealtering heat :D Warm up the splitter and get crackin :rock:

Like others said, I almost prefer it to the heat of summer. However if it's well below zero I'll put my shop heater on the oil tank for 15-20min before hand, start her up and let it go a few cycles before I start splitting.

Repeating others here.

Yep.. Split away... Just let it warm up a minute and cycle the ram a few times first.

i personally prefer to split by hand when its below 0F. the wood pops apart nice and easy. even a stringy elm will split nice when frozen that hard

Best time to split is when it's cold. No Skeeters, flys, ticks, ants, black flies, to deal with, the mud is frozen, and the rounds pop easy.
Just let the splitter warm up at 3/4 throttle for 10 Min or so and have at it.

If the thing is whining, then you need to let the hydro warm up, or run thinner oil.

Have had no issues splitting with our Speeco in the single digits, but if it's below zero it's time to join the mutts hanging out in front to the fire.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

i personally prefer to split by hand when its below 0F. the wood pops apart nice and easy. even a stringy elm will split nice when frozen that hard
I split by hand long before it gets to 0. Split with my old 7# Stanley all winter for the exercise. I actually really enjoy it!! But having a long back helps. And a weak mind. :msp_biggrin:

Back