Cut some mulberry today (pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkbyrd

Forest Hugger
Reaction score
Got up this morning, nice frozen ground. Was going to take the tractor through the mudhole and get some locust and mulberry for the cold week ahead while it was frozen. Ignition switch is ####ed, 2 days to get a new one.

Still needed wood, and wasn't pushing the wheelbarrow through the mud, so went and cut me one of the dead standing mulberries I've had my eye on. At least I think it is mulberry, tell me what you guys think.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I already split half the load, have another half-load I'll have to get out when it's drier.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Not good enough to tell anything by a picture yet, but when you go to burn it and you get a snap, crackle, and pop fireworks display then my money is on Mulberry also.

It's not mulberry. It would be cinnamon colored if it was.

It weathers to a cinnamon color, but usually I burn it up before it gets that dark.

But lets make this a wood id thread, cause I really don't know what it is. Shoulda took a picture of it standing.

Wood is golden when split, rather light (and dry as a bone). Split by hand easily, 12" rounds would just pop open, the biggest took just a few swings to pop down the middle. Not stringy at all. No bark.

eta it was a small tree considering it's girth. Maybe 50' tall tops. Twisted limbs and branches, the ones that are a pain to stack, or even get to stand up on a block.

Last edited:
Certainly doesn't look like my Mulberry, I'll try to post pictures tomorrow...

===

Ok, I'm gonna reverse my position, after taking picture of my mulberry, and then looking at the pictures and seeing the washed out colors, I'm convinced your is Mulberry.

Heres my pictures, taken about 2 hrs ago, wood is 2+ yrs seasoned, picture of split is fresh split an is actually almost a lemon yellow in color..

View attachment 223892View attachment 223893View attachment 223894View attachment 223895View attachment 223896

Last edited:
Looks from here to be spiral-cut ash. (I know, I've done some double-cutting in my time, too.)

From the dust on the saw, looks like filing would help. Just trying to help ... ;)

Looks from here to be spiral-cut ash. (I know, I've done some double-cutting in my time, too.)

From the dust on the saw, looks like filing would help. Just trying to help ... ;)

I'm getting better at sharpening. But since I hit some barbed wire it's been less than optimal. :/

Mulberry is my most favorite wood and I just finished processing a 1 and 1/2 cords for next year. All of the mulberry that I have ever processed has been very yellow when split and if it was standing dead it was a rusty yellow when split. As others have posted I do not think it is mulberry but none the less it is wood and btu's. good luck

Certainly doesn't look like my Mulberry, I'll try to post pictures tomorrow...

===

Ok, I'm gonna reverse my position, after taking picture of my mulberry, and then looking at the pictures and seeing the washed out colors, I'm convinced your is Mulberry.

Heres my pictures, taken about 2 hrs ago, wood is 2+ yrs seasoned, picture of split is fresh split an is actually almost a lemon yellow in color..

View attachment 223892View attachment 223893View attachment 223894View attachment 223895View attachment 223896

==

Take a look at the pictures I posted in the above quoted thread...

It's (OP's) Mulberry alright...

Back