Cut some mulberry today (pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pulled out an almost-new chain I had laying around, no more spiral cut wood for me! Unless I want to pull the beater chain out for some dirty wood. I usually have a good chain and a beater. Just screwed up that good chain on barbed wire.

That stuff happens... I was working over a push pile last week and I always bring 3 saws with me... I managed to render 2 inoperable in 10 minutes!!! Barbed wire in the pile!!! Dozers don't care what they're shoving into a pile... :msp_biggrin:

It looks a bit different than northern Ohio mulberry but I'm thinkin that is what it is.
Split grain looks right but all that I have cut is VERY golden yellow throughout.

It looks a bit different than northern Ohio mulberry but I'm thinkin that is what it is.
Split grain looks right but all that I have cut is VERY golden yellow throughout.

I've cut and burned a bunch of Mulberry, and all the stuff I have seen has always been pale yellow with a cornmeal yellow core and orange-ish bark with a yellowish green hue in the winter.
So, the stuff in this thread is definitely quite different than what I am used to seeing also.

I've cut and burned a bunch of Mulberry, and all the stuff I have seen has always been pale yellow with a cornmeal yellow core and orange-ish bark with a yellowish green hue in the winter.
So, the stuff in this thread is definitely quite different than what I am used to seeing also.

Hmmm... Orange under the bark??? Splits real easy???

I never let mullberry stand or lie around long enough to lose all the bark, so I don't recognize the rounds. I did lose a mullberry to the October snow storm here, only about 14" across. Here are a couple pieces split. This from a tree that grew mullberries last summer, so I am 100% confident of this species:

View attachment 223976

P1050127.JPG

Last edited:
Depending on growing conditions, trees can vary a lot... Many of ours here are twisted and lobed... Some have large grain, others quite tight...

Neat.

I'm still waiting for the day that I get my first Osage Orange to cut and burn. They're pretty rare around here, but I'll catch up with one eventually....

I never let mullberry stand or lie around long enough to lose all the bark, so I don't recognize the rounds.

I got very lucky, and my neighbor lets me cut dead wood on his land. I keep his trails clear when the trees fall, and I get those trees too. They don't burn wood, so I'm probably the first person in decades to cut in these woods. Those mulberrys were growing on the steep north slope of a hill, overlooking a pasture, easy access. The dead trees are in the shade of tulip poplars and a few walnuts. I don't know how long they have been dead, but some of the cracks in the trunk were an inch wide. This is some of the driest wood I have ever cut.

Laying around, I've found black locust logs 2' thick. Some are in the creek. Still solid as a rock. I have a 70-100' BL to get down that is fallen and snagged at about 60°. The easy pickings will be gone soon though. And the rest of it, on the trails, is too narrow and steep for a pickup or a big tractor. I want to set up a 4-wheeler with a trailer to get the wood out, I think it will handle the trails a lot better, and move wood faster.

I wish we had them here, I've yet to find one. I might plant a few, OO has some awesome qualities.

One of those qualities is they're tough... That's why they do so well in the fencerows around here... Also full of thorns... Another bonus... Extremely hard, which makes for fun and frustration at our GTG's for some of the members... :hmm3grin2orange: Its pretty good stuff...
Keeps you humble...:msp_sneaky:

Got up this morning, nice frozen ground. Was going to take the tractor through the mudhole and get some locust and mulberry for the cold week ahead while it was frozen. Ignition switch is ####ed, 2 days to get a new one.

Still needed wood, and wasn't pushing the wheelbarrow through the mud, so went and cut me one of the dead standing mulberries I've had my eye on. At least I think it is mulberry, tell me what you guys think.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I already split half the load, have another half-load I'll have to get out when it's drier.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Yup Oldberry

Back