'92' F250 4x4; What to do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sagetown

Farmer and a STIHL
Reaction score
Bought this truck new in 92. It has been my do everything truck, from trailering heavy equipment, hay, livestock, and firewood, and just general traveling. Being retired, I'm not too fond of the idea of buying a new truck, but this one only gets about 9-11mpg. It's a dog too when it has to haul the lightest of loads.

It's in bad need of repainting. Both electric windows are out. I've replaced the motors on both doors, but they don't last anytime. My radio speakers don't work on one side, and the Dash mounts are broken. The driver's seat is threads from wear. The tires have good tread, but they are several years old, as I haven't driven it much since the year 2002. It has close to, if not more than 100K miles on it.

Just pondering on whether to fix it up, or get a nearly new 1/2 ton truck with good towing power.

Its cheaper to keep it and fix it then it is to spend 30k on a nearly new F150.

Check out LMCtruck for any parts that you are unable too find. And if it has only 100k on it then its hardly broken in. But I think its a little more, if I remember the 92s still had the older odo that only went too 99,999.9 miles.

What engine does it have in it? the 250s had everything from 300i6's to 460s and 7.3s

Last edited:
The engine is the 5.8L EFi. That is like a 351 CID V-8 I guess. It sounds like one of the lifters is sticking on the passenger side of the engine. Other than that she runs good. Has some indication of fluid leakage underneath between engine & transmission, but no dripping on the ground.

Here is a pic of it taken back in June 2011.
attachment.php

Bought this truck new in 92. It has been my do everything truck, from trailering heavy equipment, hay, livestock, and firewood, and just general traveling. Being retired, I'm not too fond of the idea of buying a new truck, but this one only gets about 9-11mpg. It's a dog too when it has to haul the lightest of loads.

It's in bad need of repainting. Both electric windows are out. I've replaced the motors on both doors, but they don't last anytime. My radio speakers don't work on one side, and the Dash mounts are broken. The driver's seat is threads from wear. The tires have good tread, but they are several years old, as I haven't driven it much since the year 2002. It has close to, if not more than 100K miles on it.

Just pondering on whether to fix it up, or get a nearly new 1/2 ton truck with good towing power.

Sounds like all you need to do is get a seat cover and a small car to tool around in.

Sometimes when I hit a bump the breaker for the windows falls out.

Thanks SalC; I'll take it in to the shop, and have them give it a good look over from top to bottom, and hope they give me a good report. I'll come back with an update.

Many years ago I had a 1990 F-250 with a 302. Horrible on fuel, I got better mileage on the road with my IH flatbed with a 6.9 diesel. Ford ended up paying for a repaint as the primer was bad and the paint blistered off. Pulled the bumper off towing a trailer, discovered the mounting brackets were made of pot metal. Replaced them with some cut down Bushhog blades and solved that problem.

Sold it to a couple of ladies who wanted to mount a camper and drive it to Idaho to a piece of property one of them owned on the Snake River. Ended up replacing it with a '92 F-350 with a 7.3.

Just a question of whether you want to keep your problems or buy someone else's....

Looks to me to be in pretty good shape for a 20 year old truck. May be some rust coming through in the rear wheel wells but that isn't a big deal (to me). If it's a work truck when needed, who cares what it looks like? If you do, go see the local Maaco paint shop for a cheapo paint job?! Speakers can be easily replaced, the window problem is most likely a track issue, probably binding causing the motors to burn out ... again a fairly easy repair. Never heard of the "dash mounts" breaking, perhaps a visit to a welding shop to have that looked at? Tires? If they're not worn out, keep 'em ... just have a good spare imo. You know it's history, I'd hang onto it ;)

A good friend just bought a new leftover 2011 F250 4x4 5.8l gas, standard cab just like yours, with a Fisher plow ... $40k out the door - Ouch!!

Pick up a 5-10 year old econo-box to run into town with if gas prices are killin' your budget. I have a '98 Subaru outback wagon just for that ... and can haul chainsaws and even a bit of firewood if needed - $500 two years ago ;)

Well; they've started on my truck this morning, replacing the electric window motors and tracks. All they're gonna do to the dash is replace the broken trim. Checking brakes, lines, hoses, ball joints, shocks, and flush transmission. Have upholstery guys to come and check out the seat. They generally want the truck in their own shop. Tires are 7 yrs old, but okay. I'm looking for a local bodyshop for a paint job.

Tuesday, February 7th, 2012, UpDate:
The shop guys have pretty much given the truck a once over. Ball joint on the front end are all good. Back brakes need replacing. Some fluid leakeage in different areas. Both door window motors and tracks need replacing. Suspected rocker arm sticking noise turns out to be a leaky manifold.
Needs new battery. I have a hard time with batteries. The engine has always been hard to turn over, so I went to a large truck battery, and they don't last very long either. A few other odds and ends I can't remember. I do remember the estimate however, $1800(+) so far. No estimate on the seat re-upholstery yet.

Sage, do you have many older ...... 60's and 70's trucks in you area, that aren't full of rust? Man, those would sell like hot cakes here in NH...... especially chebbies. I'm half tempted to send you some cash so you can mail me up a couple truck / auto trader type magazines to drool over.

UpDate Feb 10th, 2012
Another call from the shop. Custom Seat Repair guys came and looked the truck over. Said they'd go ahead and let the mechanics take out the seat and they'd go ahead and re upholstry it while the shop continues to work on the truck.

Ductape; I don't know off hand about those old trucks.

Don't forget to have them service the transmission. As far as extracting more power, I'd look into a dual exhaust and a K&N air filter. I never had much love for Fords but, I did own a few and they treated me right, as long as the interior guy is in there, have him stuff a little extra padding for your lower back, it helps on those older seats.

Don't forget to have them service the transmission. As far as extracting more power, I'd look into a dual exhaust and a K&N air filter. I never had much love for Fords but, I did own a few and they treated me right, as long as the interior guy is in there, have him stuff a little extra padding for your lower back, it helps on those older seats.

I had the transmission serviced a few years back. As for the seat, the drivers side is equipped with power comfort adjustments for the lower back. Now the dual exhausts is a thought. I had them on a 57 burgandy red ford truck w/big engine and big headers with screw-on caps, and T-Bird rear-end, when I was in school. Won a few drag races with it.

See Sage ... spending a few bucks on an old truck and it will be like new :smile2:, at least until something else breaks. :dizzy: What have you got into it so far maybe $2500? Did you get a quote on the new paint job?

Hey Big L: I've located a body shop. I'll be checking on a quote with them. The garage is almost done with their part. My last running total is about $2400. I have no idea what a paint job costs these days. I'm going with a red paint.

Good job keeping the old girl running. Even if you spend $5,000 to get it all done your still way ahead of the game. Look forward to seeing the finished product.

Good job keeping the old girl running. Even if you spend $5,000 to get it all done your still way ahead of the game. Look forward to seeing the finished product.

I concur Hall ::thumbsup:: ... Like I said in an earlier post, 40k for a new truck seems out of reach for most folks, including me :rolleyes2: Get this though, I'm quite happy with my 12 year old f150 .. 14 year old Subaru ... and 45 year old VW :clap: Proper maintenance, and having good friends to do repairs when required (that trade goods ... like firewood :)) is where its at. Also equals tlco .... total lower cost of ownership ;)

Back