I almost had me a wood thief?..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTP

Reaction score
I almost had me a wood thief…..

Just when you thought it was safe to be at work….

I've recently installed security cameras for the home/property and I was going through some alarm footage only to find a would have been wood thief. It was just around noon when this guy pulls into my driveway, walks the property for a minute then backs his pickup all the way in to property and upto my wood stash. I see him get out of the truck, put on work gloves, make one quick knock on the door. He then goes back near his truck, takes a look around to see if the coast is clear, then BAM, he looks one of the obvious cameras right in the eye and high tales it outta there.

In my opinion the investment was well worth it. The look on this guys face was PRICELESS!! It may as well been a 85lbs German Shepard running at him. F@%$ing guy had his truck in drive before he closed his door. LOL.

Let's just say he should be expecting to have a nice chat soon

JTP

It's a sign of the times !

Can you imagine risking going to jail for stealing some wood ?

If it was me on a bad day, he might be looking at the wrong end of a Sig 220.

Good lord ! :angry2:

There's something so infuriating to me about the idea of someone stealing my firewood. Maybe it's the labor that goes into it. I know I work for the other things I buy, but something about having sweat and occasionally bled to stockpile my firewood. And in the past if someone is desperate and asks for help, I'd be glad to offer some or work something out on price. But I have to wonder if more often someone who chooses to steal is just lazy rather than in a hard place.

It's kind of funny now people are starting to look at security more closely.

Stealing firewood upsets me, but then I wonder Geezzzzz what's next ? :msp_w00t:

Wood theft

The reason the guy was knocking on the door was to see if any one was home. If someone came to the door, he would have given some B.S. story or ask for directions and simply leave. If no answer, in his mind the coast was clear and he would have gone on to steal the wood. Good thing for the camera. I investigated and made many arrests for firewood theft as well as people illegally logging on other people's land. It always really frosted my ass. The biggest problem prosecuting a case of firewood theft was always how much wood was stolen and accurately estimating a value of the wood in order to charge the suspect with petit or grand larceny.

XTROOPER

Just when you thought it was safe to be at work….

I've recently installed security cameras for the home/property and I was going through some alarm footage only to find a would have been wood thief. It was just around noon when this guy pulls into my driveway, walks the property for a minute then backs his pickup all the way in to property and upto my wood stash. I see him get out of the truck, put on work gloves, make one quick knock on the door. He then goes back near his truck, takes a look around to see if the coast is clear, then BAM, he looks one of the obvious cameras right in the eye and high tales it outta there.

In my opinion the investment was well worth it. The look on this guys face was PRICELESS!! It may as well been a 85lbs German Shepard running at him. F@%$ing guy had his truck in drive before he closed his door. LOL.

Let's just say he should be expecting to have a nice chat soon

JTP
Now you need a couple mean dogs and a other camera that is level with the liscense plate!

Woooww !

The reason the guy was knocking on the door was to see if any one was home. If someone came to the door, he would have given some B.S. story or ask for directions and simply leave. If no answer, in his mind the coast was clear and he would have gone on to steal the wood. Good thing for the camera. I investigated and made many arrests for firewood theft as well as people illegally logging on other people's land. It always really frosted my ass. The biggest problem prosecuting a case of firewood theft was always how much wood was stolen and accurately estimating a value of the wood in order to charge the suspect with petit or grand larceny.

XTROOPER

This blows my mind. It's been said the average time for a home break-in
is about 4 minutes. In and out.

How long is it going to take to load the firewood 15 minutes ?

What would be the dollar amount stolen $20 :eek:uttahere2:

The numbers don't add up. I just can't see the motive in it.

But yet it happens......:msp_unsure:

There's something so infuriating to me about the idea of someone stealing my firewood. Maybe it's the labor that goes into it. I know I work for the other things I buy, but something about having sweat and occasionally bled to stockpile my firewood. And in the past if someone is desperate and asks for help, I'd be glad to offer some or work something out on price. But I have to wonder if more often someone who chooses to steal is just lazy rather than in a hard place.
We've become so used to having so much stuff that at first it's not obvious why something like firewood should be any different from all the other stuff. But when you look at what people really need - food, shelter, heat, etc. - firewood represents one of those key things. My firewood is my heat source, the primary energy source we use, and one of the essential things my family and I need to survive. I put a huge amount of personal time and energy into gathering it.

You mess with my firewood and you're stealing something at the level of food and shelter from my family - it's not joking around time anymore.

EDIT: Right now our view is distorted because of the energy in fossil fuels and how cheap and plentiful it is, and that in turn distorts the value of energy in terms of "money". As time goes on and the costs go up and the availability goes down, while this economic collapse continues and people can't afford it, the value of energy in terms of money will become more rational again. Then a pile of firewood won't be worthless anymore, in terms of "money" or in terms of heat. What is firewood worth if you have no job and cannot buy other forms of heat?

Last edited:
This blows my mind. It's been said the average time for a home break-in
is about 4 minutes. In and out.

What would be the dollar amount stolen $20 :eek:uttahere2:

The numbers don't add up. I just can't see the motive in it.

But yet it happens......:msp_unsure:

You cant see it cause you ain't a scumbag they stole a little from me when I had it near the road.Now things are way more secure House alarms, Cams,5 large dogs ,motion detectors that wake you up if anyone breaches your Perimeter,6 foot fence with locking gate!BTW the mean dogs are the best they don't miss nothing!

With my pickup backed right up to a "stack" of "split" firewood?
Whoa buddy, I could be loaded with all I cared to haul in well under 5 minutes!
You can toss a lot of splits from a stack in a minute... grabbing two, three, or even four at a time... a hundred or more splits a minute wouldn't be tough.

With my pickup backed right up to a "stack" of "split" firewood?
Whoa buddy, I could be loaded with all I cared to haul in well under 5 minutes!
You can toss a lot of splits from a stack in a minute... grabbing two, three, or even four at a time... a hundred or more splits a minute wouldn't be tough.

That is slow enough to get caught if he is home!

224253d1329410755-img_0518-jpg
View attachment 224253
As Mr. Burns on the Simpsons would say, "Release the hounds!"

Last edited:
Scary to think about loosing my heat for the winter. I live right on a main road so I can't hide mine from view. Just plain scary to think about. Hope the Police can do something to your bad guy. Read more than one post on here and on Cast Boolits about wood and lead being taken with the Police doing nothing because of the perceived lack of monetary value. For conversation a Cord of wood is roughly(I said roughly, not exact btu comparison) a 100 gallons of oil. In this market that is over $360.

Anyway, hope they get the guy and stick it to him.

Scary to think about loosing my heat for the winter. I live right on a main road so I can't hide mine from view. Just plain scary to think about. Hope the Police can do something to your bad guy. Read more than one post on here and on Cast Boolits about wood and lead being taken with the Police doing nothing because of the perceived lack of monetary value. For conversation a Cord of wood is roughly(I said roughly, not exact btu comparison) a 100 gallons of oil. In this market that is over $360.

Anyway, hope they get the guy and stick it to him.

Put up some cheap fake cameras then where they will see them!

I had wood disappearing from my stack this summer. Small amounts each time so, no doubt, it was going into someone's firepit. I mentioned to a neighbor that I was aware of what was going on and that I planned to personally observe the pile until the thief was caught. Darned if nobody came around after that and wood stopped disappearing. It was a good thing that wood stopped walking off but it doesn't leave a very good taste in my mouth to know one of my neighbors is a thief that has no second thoughts about stealing from me. And if it isn't some firewood, what's next on his list? Hmmmmm..........

BTW, no sympathy here for a thief regardless of his circumstances. There is no lower form of life on the planet, IMHO.

Latest posts

Back