Poulan Saws which one's are the keepers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See now tis is the advice I was looking for simple and to the point (full wrap handel ) Are any of the full wrap handel saws large like 60 cc and up?

LOL
I suppose that some consider 60cc chainsaws as large. Those dirty things in the trailer are 5 cube or better and to me, medium sized. Don't let my opinion bother you and never follow my advice on displacement.

"wah..you didn't cut me down with a stihlavarna 845xpabc magnum II with the built in GPS enabled heated cupholders"!

the wood i cut bi-tc-hes like that :msp_smile:

See now tis is the advice I was looking for simple and to the point (full wrap handel ) Are any of the full wrap handel saws large like 60 cc and up?

I thought the full wrap made it easier to juggle with? :msp_mellow:

Photo0192.jpg

Any Poulan with a full wrap handle.

What he said! In all seriousness, I have a 4000 which is a 65cc saw. Full mag body, pretty good anti-vibe, and easy to handle. It doesn't have a full wrap, but the IPL listed one as available at one time. The small top handle saws are really nice too, not quite as smooth as an MS200T, but well balanced and they just rip with a 14" bar.

Nick

4200, 5200, 8500!!!:rock: There are more, but those are king of the real Poulans.

What are the reason they are so frought with such a bad rep anyway? I Know the wildthing is in a class of it's own as far as bad reviews but I have heard bad thing's long before the wild thing .Was there an inheiriant set of probles with them? I have some 5000's 5000 plus's and 500's after running my 5000 a few years back my brother went out and bought a Poulan Pro 365 and had buku problems with the recoil dogs breaking off about every 20 times he started it it was kicking back hard. The dealership told him that was a regular thing with that particular model.He said but on the bright side the parts to repair it was cheep.He traded it in on a 029 sthil ,I have since thought that there must be a fix for a problem like that the saw was a screamer.

I have never heard of a problem on that series breaking starter pawls. In fact they basically have the same setup as the Stihl 029 does and they both use plastic dogs. Yes they do wear some just like the Stihls pawls do as well but like you said the Poulan pawls were very cheap, like less then a dollar. I have some spares but never needed to use them yet.

Personally I have a PP365 and its one of my favorites. I did have a 029 Super at one time as well and you couldnt give me 6 of them for one PP365. Its just a better all around built and handleing saw as far as I'm concered. It also weighs less and has more power as well.

Technique

What are the reason they are so frought with such a bad rep anyway? I Know the wildthing is in a class of it's own as far as bad reviews but I have heard bad thing's long before the wild thing .Was there an inheiriant set of probles with them? I have some 5000's 5000 plus's and 500's after running my 5000 a few years back my brother went out and bought a Poulan Pro 365 and had buku problems with the recoil dogs breaking off about every 20 times he started it it was kicking back hard. The dealership told him that was a regular thing with that particular model.He said but on the bright side the parts to repair it was cheep.He traded it in on a 029 sthil ,I have since thought that there must be a fix for a problem like that the saw was a screamer.

There's a technique to address the issue your bro had. Pull slow until piston is near TDC. You can feel that sweet spot when you get there. Let the starter rope pulley back down. Now yank it. Same with four stroke hand yank starters. Pull them around until you get to that sweet spot. Now give it a shot. They will start a lot easier with less effort.

4200, 5200, 8500!!!:rock: There are more, but those are king of the real Poulans.

also the 4900 and 5400. Best to find one of the 85cc versions as they weigh the same as the 77cc saws. The sound of the saw actually makes the saw lighter, I have no scientific proof of this just personal experience.

[video=youtube;3sUoocl1AAU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sUoocl1AAU[/video]

I was under the impression for many years that all Poulans were junk. That opinion was the result of living in Pioneer/Mcculloch/Homelite country that later became Husky country. The only Poulans we ever saw were the bottom of the line stuff sold at garden centers back after the first oil embargo. They weren't well cared for as a rule and were purchased based entirely on price. By the time we got them they were usually pretty well trashed. At that time people were bringing these things in to trade on a small Husky along with old Remingtons, Sears, Monkey Wards, Western Auto, Gambles and those mail order jobs that no one has heard of since like Comet, Roper, Spiegel and Strunk. So for us they were no names that didn't run, had missing parts and back then to get parts you had to write a letter IF you could find an address and wait 3 weeks for a reply. They went in the junk pile.

Years later a guy at work started giving me his old saws. None of them were anything special but one was a Poulan. First time I got that thing started I thought I had at least a 5ci saw. To this day when you rev it up it wants to climb to the right like an F15! It's a great cutting saw and considering I've done very little to it, I'm actually quite impressed with it. Same guy also gave me a Poulan Pro 375 that is another major surprise, but since the book I'm just finishing states PP is what came of the remains of Pioneer I'm not surprised.

Truth be told, there are few "junk" saws that were made prior to the last few years. I say that with the caveat of consideration for the technology available and the target buyers. One of my biggest surprises was a little Homie Super EZ. That little devil hung of the hames of my horse and never failed me, or to surprise me, till the day it swallowed a muffler nut or something.

Anyway, just as so many "off brand" saws today, ie- anything not Stihl or Husky, get a "rep" down at the barbershop, so did Poulan in my area back in the 70's/80's. We just didn't know what we didn't know!

Same guy also gave me a Poulan Pro 375 that is another major surprise, but since the book I'm just finishing states PP is what came of the remains of Pioneer I'm not surprised.

Curious here to learn what book your finishing that states that Poulan Pro was the remains of Pioneer?

Yes its true that some of the remains of Pioneer/Partner (thats what it was between 84-88) did end up in the Poulan Pro line that was introduced in 1988. I think that there were 4 of the P series saws that were sold as Poulan Pros, but there were also Poulan Pro branded Partner designed saws and even more of the original Poulan designed saws that were in the Poulan Pro line as well.

The reason that the Poulan Pro line was even introduced was to appease the Poulan dealers who were getting upset at the company for selling so many saws in other outlets besides the stocking dealers.

Just so you know, your PP375 is really a Poulan 3700 painted yellow with a 4000 style air filter setup and probably has a chainbrake as well. It for one has no relationship to Pioneer or any of the others.

LOL
I suppose that some consider 60cc chainsaws as large. Those dirty things in the trailer are 5 cube or better and to me, medium sized. Don't let my opinion bother you and never follow my advice on displacement.

No, because if you do, you'll be pruning the lilacs with a Super Pro 125.:cool2:

Curious here to learn what book your finishing that states that Poulan Pro was the remains of Pioneer?

Yes its true that some of the remains of Pioneer/Partner (thats what it was between 84-88) did end up in the Poulan Pro line that was introduced in 1988. I think that there were 4 of the P series saws that were sold as Poulan Pros, but there were also Poulan Pro branded Partner designed saws and even more of the original Poulan designed saws that were in the Poulan Pro line as well.

The reason that the Poulan Pro line was even introduced was to appease the Poulan dealers who were getting upset at the company for selling so many saws in other outlets besides the stocking dealers.

Just so you know, your PP375 is really a Poulan 3700 painted yellow with a 4000 style air filter setup and probably has a chainbrake as well. It for one has no relationship to Pioneer or any of the others.

No offense intended, The book is the "Chainsaws" book, this one- BOOK Vintage Chainsaws Photographic History Logging More - bidStart (item 24702948 in Collectibles & Ephemera... Other)

I don't have it right here to quote what he says, but I'll try to tomorrow.

Pp 365

I'm new to this site and new to the Poulan name. I recently purchased a Poulan pro 365 and a stihl 039 in a package deal( wanted the 039). So I've been looking up this pp 365 to find out more info on it. I have found that it is a 60cc saw and that it rips after mods. What are some of the mods that you do to them? This does look barely used since all the stickers are still on this saw ( even the original price tag). It was dirty from someone cutting rotten wood by the looks of things. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Poulan 4200/5200/Dayton 4z252 chainsaw for sale

I own a few Partners so I have been here for some advice lately.I have never owned a Poulan Green saw.I have never heard anything but bad stuff about them .Obviously some of that talk is B.S. So my question is which models are the good ones? I get around a bunch somtimes you see one on a yard sale, are there a particular ones to be on the look out for

Seeking a Poulan 4200/Dayton 4z252/Craftsman 5.2 for sale ...:help:

Latest posts

Back