Got me some new Chippewa boots today!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Walmart thanks you for your loyal dollars....the rest of the US workers might not.

yeah...I used to think that way too....but my family survival and being able to fund all the needs comes first now.

BTW, youcan't buy Carhartt boots at Walmart.

Last edited:
Hey Kevin in Ohio: Wolverine Boots use to be good boots. I wore them from 1969 till the late 70's. The general store I bought them from quit selling them.

I have been wearing red wings since the early 80s for work in machine shops and others for home use. I have narrow feet so that is one reason I go with the wings in B width. The new wings don't seem to fit my feet like them old ones did and the new soles haven't been holding up as well either. The local RW dealer dug out a pair of old style boots in my width and I grabed them. I just found another pair on line so I bought them too. It sure would be easyer if my feet were not so picky.

I have never worried about how much I spend on my boots because when my feet are happy, I'm happy. I'll always buy usa if that's what my feet like.

Last edited:
Here's a little tip about feet and size. When a man gets up in age, 55 or so, his feet begin flattening out in width, so if those #10D's seem smaller, don't go to a 10 1/2D, just go to a wider sized 10EE. Makes a perfect fit.

Here's a little tip about feet and size. When a man gets up in age, 55 or so, his feet begin flattening out in width, so if those #10D's seem smaller, don't go to a 10 1/2D, just go to a wider sized 10EE. Makes a perfect fit.

I see ... company subsidized clothing is a good thing when ya get it, so it is a no brainer for you :cool2: I just got the same flyer, might try that same boot for Summer work ... if they have my size :laugh: Good price, that's for sure!

I always get the non insulated ones, as long as I'm moving my feet stay warm. If it's wet I put on slip over boots. The only time my feet get cold in them is when I'm standing on cold concrete all day. I tried insulated ones when I worked for an extended time in those conditions and it didn't help either. Mickey's do better than anything I've tried there.

I normally got a good year out of Red Wings, but then in the past I also tried 2 cheap pairs of China knockoffs called "Smith's" from an Army Navy store for $70. They looked identical to Chippewa/Red Wing, but they completely fell apart in less than 4 months. They were ill-fitting, the leather on the toes quickly dryrotted and split, the leather laces snapped in 2 weeks and all stitching frayed. I take a size 12 ww, but the first pair I bought was an 11, (the 12 being huge) and the second was a size 12, being snug. So much for quality and consistency.

The 9" high made-in-USA Chippewa loggers with Vibram sole is all I wear for the past 8 years. I been wearing loggers for 18 years (job requirement) and they are the best built boots I have found. Better fitting and longer lasting than Red Wing in my experience.

I am very, very hard on footwear at work. If I can't reach it with a bucket, I'm climbing. If I'm not climbing, I'm in wet, dirty cable vaults, confined spaces, trenches and underground manholes. The combination of moisture and climbing seem to tear most of my boots up. Chippewas break in very well, they last me a solid 2 years, and are consistent in size and quality. I've never owned another brand of boots that have lasted me that long.
The older I get, the less brand-loyal I am. Now that I think of it, I'd say that wisdom dictates being more quality-loyal.
It took many years for me to find these boots, and I'm brand-loyal to them until something changes. I don't care how much they cost in comparison to the China knockoffs.

Enjoy 'em!

Kmart we have, "whole foods" ---nope. Will check at "michaels" as well.
thanks.
A

I was using "whole foods" in a generic way, and didn't necessarily mean the chain itself. Any natural food type store, I guess I should have said.

When i was out in Montana back in 66 i bought a pair of White corks for felling. They felt so good on my feet i bought a pair with reg sole, loved my White boots, [ Bear grease is the best ] i would have no idea where to get it now. Have to shoot a bear and render the grease down, if you can stand the smell.

Last edited:
Anybody ever order/wear a pair of "Double H" boots? Made in the USA, good online ratings, and they look really good!

DoubleHBoots.com: The Official Double-H Boots Website

DH9760.jpg

My new boots arrived at 7:30pm tonight. They feel great. The leather is thick and reasonably soft. The inside is lined with a special sweat absorbing liner. The uppers are 10" tall from top of sole, even though advertised as 9". The soles are thick vibram.
I girded them up too tight when I put them on which made my ankles uncomfortable. I unlaced them, and retightened the foot then relaxed the lacing at the ankle, then pulled the strings tight up the shin. They have a good feel of support, and I like the extra heel height. Can't wait to give them a workout. I'll report back on the workout.

lumberjack48 I also came from Montana and wear Whites smoke jumpers. They trace each one of your feet on a piece of paper, measure several key spots on you foot/calf, and then you wait for your custom made boots to arrive. MADE IN THE USA also out of Washington. I got six years out of my first pair before they were wore out. Once you wear a pair out you send them back in for a rebuild and they send you them back like new again (Rebuild is usually about half a new set). They are not cheap by any means, around 430 bucks, but I was eating red wings in 8 months, wolverines in less than 6 months, nothing help up. They are tough to break in as well, but once they mold to your feet you never take them off.

lumberjack48 I also came from Montana and wear Whites smoke jumpers. They trace each one of your feet on a piece of paper, measure several key spots on you foot/calf, and then you wait for your custom made boots to arrive. MADE IN THE USA also out of Washington. I got six years out of my first pair before they were wore out. Once you wear a pair out you send them back in for a rebuild and they send you them back like new again (Rebuild is usually about half a new set). They are not cheap by any means, around 430 bucks, but I was eating red wings in 8 months, wolverines in less than 6 months, nothing help up. They are tough to break in as well, but once they mold to your feet you never take them off.

I'm glad y'all can experience custom fit, but it's too rich for my blood. Guess that's why I'm always lookin' for somethin better for what I'm willin' to pay.:rock::D

EASY WALKABOUT. My wife had to go into town for groceries, so I volunteered to take her providing I could wear my new Loggers. The boots did fine in her RAV4. In the store, they performed very well. One thing came to light however. Have you ever noticed how old folks tend to lean forward as they walk? Well I realized leaning forward wearing Logger Heels on flat surface ain't gonna cut it. Needless to say I walked outta there taller than I went in.:hmm3grin2orange:

Did the same easy walkabout today with my new boots (about the 3rd or 4th) today ... went to Cabela's to pick up some ammo :)
Initially I was a bit concerned about the steel toe with a bit of a rub on one foot, with these wide feet I got. But that appears to have gone away ... think they may be about ready for a day in the woods! :clap:

Did the same easy walkabout today with my new boots (about the 3rd or 4th) today ... went to Cabela's to pick up some ammo :)
Initially I was a bit concerned about the steel toe with a bit of a rub on one foot, with these wide feet I got. But that appears to have gone away ... think they may be about ready for a day in the woods! :clap:

A gentle break-in, eh? Stand in the creek for a minute in the morning, and work the piss out of them, get it over with! :laugh:

Latest posts

Back