Jotul stove in action

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig21901

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I got the Jotul 550 Rockland a few years back after my first winter in a house running propane. Having no experience with proprane costs prior to that year, I spent a couple thousand dollars heating the house that first year. My second winter I was better prepared and went out and bought the Jotul without doing much research. The sales guy highly recommended it, so went with it since it looked pretty solid. Several years later I believe I made a good choice, but wanted to get some opinions from others - specifically is Jotul a good brand and how does it stack up against other brands? Since installing it, my propane costs per year have gone from thousands to hundreds so I couldn't be more thrilled. To boot, managing the woodpile has become a labor of love. Go ahead and post your stove in action, too!

I have a Jotul Oslo. Couldn't be more pleased with it.

Welcome to the forum.

DSCN0007.jpg

We've had a Jotul 118 for 3 years now and love it. We now burn about half the wood we did with our Vermont Castings Acclaim and still heat the house just fine. Jotul makes great stoves!

Last edited:
Have a Jotul Oslo in the shop and home. Big fan of Jotul stoves.

Same here. I thought it would last more than the season and a half I got out of it. Is there anyway to get them going again?

Yes you can repower them and even upgrade them. What happens is that the Peltier chip breaks down over time when exposed to heat and they just wind down to a stop. You can find the chips online but they measure 30mmx30mm. You will need one that has an operating temp of over 200deg C. The unit comes apart pretty easy and the process is very straight forward. Just don't forget the thermal grease or your new investment will stop after a very short period of time. With the correct chip and motor combo you can actually make them something more than a novelty.

Thanks for the info. Is the hole on the side of the blase hub for thermal grease? I have never greased mine. I suspected it was the chip and not the motor. I'll start searching the web. Do you know exactly what thermal grease to use and where how much to grease?

Thanks for the info. Is the hole on the side of the blase hub for thermal grease? I have never greased mine. I suspected it was the chip and not the motor. I'll start searching the web. Do you know exactly what thermal grease to use and where how much to grease?

The thermal grease is used between the base and the bottom of the chip and also between the top of the chip and the heat sink. It is only there to give a good heat transfer between the two mated parts. You can get a small amount online but it is basicly the same thing you would use between any hot running microchip and its heat sink. Very little is actually used perhaps 1/2 of the size of a Qtip.

The thermal grease is used between the base and the bottom of the chip and also between the top of the chip and the heat sink. It is only there to give a good heat transfer between the two mated parts. You can get a small amount online but it is basicly the same thing you would use between any hot running microchip and its heat sink. Very little is actually used perhaps 1/2 of the size of a Qtip.

Am I on the right track with this chip?

1261G-7L31-04CL

That's good information about that peltier chip.

I called camfor and they said it sounded like a motor. So I paid for that and hooked it up. Still did not work. So called back and was now told it was probably the Themoelectic chip went bad and would need to be replaced. But camfor does not sell that because it is "proprietary patented" stuff. I would have to send it in to be rebuilt for 75 plus shipping. And I would get a new motor (making 3 motors that I have for this fan). No thanks.

If you want to check if your motor is good, hook up the leads to a AA battery. Just something I wish I would have known before spending 20 for a new motor.

That stirling engine looks a little beyond the capabilities of me and my shop!

Firelight 600 being used to dry the paint on a hub for a motorcycle wheel. Note that both the woodburner and the hub are the same color, a dark hunter's green. I love this stove. It was a replacement for an old "EarthStove" we had for years and years. Our burn rate dropped by about half with this stove and it provides most of the heat for our 2400 square foot home.
IMG_3463.jpg

Latest posts

Back