WOW....these guys had a lot of work in the day

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logger 12345

husqvarna pilot
Reaction score
the courage and strength of these men has to be admired!
what a dangerous job it must have been back then....

this is a great video!

[video=youtube;PcEto_Q8MlY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcEto_Q8MlY&feature=related[/video]

Last edited:
The only thing missing from that video is the guys in the woods peeling the bark off of the logs. They did it by hand with long iron bars. I can remember see that when I was a kid. Hard work.

Great video! I love the narration of those old short documentaries, reminds me of grade school and watching films in the lunch room back in the 70's.

Unbelievable....

We could never do this today.

Too many regulations, EPA, OSHA,Enviromentalists, the list goes on and on.
Where would you find the workers, laborers, they're all on their i phones or
playing video games....

It's enough to make you sick. We were once a powerful country. Look at us now.....

Those workers would throw up if they could see this country now !:msp_thumbdn:

We could never do this today.

Too many regulations, EPA, OSHA,Enviromentalists, the list goes on and on.
Where would you find the workers, laborers, they're all on their i phones or
playing video games....

It's enough to make you sick. We were once a powerful country. Look at us now.....

Those workers would throw up if they could see this country now !:msp_thumbdn:

Ask a kid to work today and they look at you with that "how dare you ask me that" look. Give them a cell phone or a video game and they can "work" at that occupation for 10-12 hrs /day. Times have sure changed. Restaurants and fast food chains that used to hire local kids to work can no longer get them and have to bring in workers from the Phillipines and Russia and Mexico. There is work for kids but they just dont want it!!!! PS I am in Canada and it's no different here my friend.

Ask a kid to work today and they look at you with that "how dare you ask me that" look. Give them a cell phone or a video game and they can "work" at that occupation for 10-12 hrs /day. Times have sure changed. Restaurants and fast food chains that used to hire local kids to work can no longer get them...

You've got to ask yourself though, why is it this way? The kids were not born with this sense of entitlement, they were brought up with it, they learned it.

Its parents who started listening to all the psycho-babble and didn't want to be too hard on their little ones. Then they wonder why the kids don't want to do anything.

You've got to ask yourself though, why is it this way? The kids were not born with this sense of entitlement, they were brought up with it, they learned it.

Its parents who started listening to all the psycho-babble and didn't want to be too hard on their little ones. Then they wonder why the kids don't want to do anything.

I wasn't going to get into this but your right !

We got our shrinked wrap bubble wraped I'm allergic to peanuts, milk, latex,what have you kids. I've never seen so many kids with so many ailments.

We are so caught up in red tape and regulations we can't go forward or backwards.
If you think because your not a logger this doesn't concern you, you are mistaken.

We have lost so much liberty a piece at a time that it goes unnoticed until a video like this makes us wonder what the hell happened ?

For some maybe this is your wake-up call. I believe most of you on this site are hard workers and are part of a dying breed.

What the hell happened to us......

This is right, before you criticize our generation look who raised it. I'm not making excuses here, personally I think it's pathetic and unacceptable how most kids act now. But I will say there are a few left out there that are raised right, I'm 16 and work 20hrs a week during school and 40+ hrs during the summer building houses

Ask a kid to work today and they look at you with that "how dare you ask me that" look. Give them a cell phone or a video game and they can "work" at that occupation for 10-12 hrs /day. Times have sure changed. Restaurants and fast food chains that used to hire local kids to work can no longer get them and have to bring in workers from the Phillipines and Russia and Mexico. There is work for kids but they just dont want it!!!! PS I am in Canada and it's no different here my friend.

You are correct. Most manual labor jobs are filled by Mexicans in my area. The wages are not very good so the gringos pass up the jobs and collect benefits paid by men and women willing to work. Just look in any restaurant kitchen, even Chinese restaurants. I guess it is just the times we live in.

You are not seeing the injuries, the deaths. No benefits, get hurt or killed and a collection might be taken up for you. The movie was filmed on sunny days. You aren't seeing the wet cold, guys horking up lugies, etc.

Live in a logging community and you'll notice a lot of limping men--or worse, a guy who spent all day wandering up and down the highway because he had a brain injury and it made him walk back and forth.
Guy with arms that don't bend right or are permanently bent.

Nope, I don't believe it was glorious. I believe it was a job--a way to make a living if you had the stamina and could stay healthy. A career for the lucky ones.

Don't get hurt.

Thats a good point.

You are not seeing the injuries, the deaths. No benefits, get hurt or killed and a collection might be taken up for you. The movie was filmed on sunny days. You aren't seeing the wet cold, guys horking up lugies, etc.

Live in a logging community and you'll notice a lot of limping men--or worse, a guy who spent all day wandering up and down the highway because he had a brain injury and it made him walk back and forth.
Guy with arms that don't bend right or are permanently bent.

Nope, I don't believe it was glorious. I believe it was a job--a way to make a living if you had the stamina and could stay healthy. A career for the lucky ones.

Don't get hurt.

No video is capable of capturing all the glory and hardships endured back in those times. I grew up in rural NS and all the men worked at hard physical labor type jobs, there was no Welfare back then so you worked wether hurt or not, just bandaged yourself and kept on plugging away unless totally disabled. A broken bone or deep cut was hardly noticed, scalds from steam, fingers, toes lost and the like were not enough reason to stop working. Colds , flue and sickness were just part of a way of life, no sick days off back then. Most had to work til they dropped or died, just the way it was and I experienced and seen it all myself. Glory days,...hardly.

hard work is the only way to feel happy and content,i always feel great after a hard days work,even if for some days
the money isn't majorly high i still enjoy the work,then again i work for myself and always have,the buisness i am at now is seasonal so i make the most money in winter,rest of the year is preparing and getting the wood.

great video in fairness though,and yes i agree people were better off that time,the world is gone soft

Better off? That's easy to say now. I believe I'd be dead from ear infections, there were no antibiotics. Polio? And so on. Take doing laundry. Just one simple task today. This was sent to me the other day.

"Warshing Clothes Recipe" -- imagine having a recipe for this ! ! !
Years ago an Alabama grandmother gave the new bride the following recipe:
this is an exact copy as written and found in an old scrapbook -
with spelling errors and all.
WARSHING CLOTHES
Build fire in backyard to heat kettle of rain water. Set tubs so smoke wont blow in eyes if wind is pert. Shave one hole cake of lie soap in boilin water.
Sort things, make 3 piles
1 pile white,
1 pile colored,
1 pile work britches and rags.
To make starch, stir flour in cool water to smooth, then thin down with boiling water.
Take white things, rub dirty spots on board, scrub hard, and boil, then rub colored don't boil just wrench and starch.
Take things out of kettle with broom stick handle, then wrench, and starch.
Hang old rags on fence.
Spread tea towels on grass.
Pore wrench water in flower bed. Scrub porch with hot soapy water.
Turn tubs upside down.
Go put on clean dress, smooth hair with hair combs.. Brew cup of tea, sit and rock a spell and count your blessings.
================================================
Paste this over your washer and dryer Next time when you think things are bleak, read it again, kiss that washing machine and dryer, and give thanks.. First thing each morning you should run and hug your washer and dryer, also your toilet---those two-holers used to get mighty cold!
For you non-southerners - wrench means, rinse ;)
AND WE THINK WE HAVE IT ROUGH!

I like living in the present times. You can always go live off the grid and do things the old way. Me, I'll take the now.

No video is capable of capturing all the glory and hardships endured back in those times. I grew up in rural NS and all the men worked at hard physical labor type jobs, there was no Welfare back then so you worked wether hurt or not, just bandaged yourself and kept on plugging away unless totally disabled. A broken bone or deep cut was hardly noticed, scalds from steam, fingers, toes lost and the like were not enough reason to stop working. Colds , flue and sickness were just part of a way of life, no sick days off back then. Most had to work til they dropped or died, just the way it was and I experienced and seen it all myself. Glory days,...hardly.

Well said. There wasn't much glory to logging in those days. It was a job...if you stayed alive and shrugged off your injuries.

Latest posts

Back