Brazing Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapped finger

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
For brazing pipes on a muffler can, what kind of rod should I use? All I have is a torch with mapp gas no oxygen.

Brazing

Welding supply stores will have Brass rods, Some are flux coated, others are bare brass. If a small project is all you will be doing the flux coated is the way to go. If you will be doing a lot of brazing then the bare brass and a can of flux is the best, as the flux will come off the coated rod before long. You might talk to the store people about the mapp gas, I'm not sure if it gets hot enough for brazing. Good luck

When I tried Mapp gas it didn't get hot enough and I had some really small brazing rod.

I use a bronze type rod by a company called SIF, not sure if its available in the states. try to google sifbronze. Also get some flux and put plenty round the joint, it should help get better flow.

I use mapp, but have found that the muffler tends to soak heat away from the joint, and it's hard to get the entire joint hot enough to achieve good flow. What i found to work well, was to use a propane tourch to provide background heat and get the general area hot, and then use the mapp to do the actual brazing.

Mapp gas is hotter than propane and is hot enough to braze it with the flux coated brass rod as preveously stated.Just make shure the joint area is very clean.:biggrinbounce2:

I've done a ton of brazing but usually Oxy-Acetylene. I like a hot flame and I'm in and out.
If I don't have Oxy-Acetylene available I'll use just Acetylene with something like a torbo
torch set-up it works good but takes longer to get the parts hot in the meantime the parts act as a heat sink and I start to heat up everything which is usually not good.

You might be able to find a low temp brazing rod for your application but to be honest I don't even know if they make one.

Maybe someone else will post here that knows more about brazing using Mapp gas.
It really isn't hot enough for me but maybe others have had luck with some smaller rods.

I've done a ton of brazing but usually Oxy-Acetylene. I like a hot flame and I'm in and out.
If I don't have Oxy-Acetylene available I'll use just Acetylene with something like a torbo
torch set-up it works good but takes longer to get the parts hot in the meantime the parts act as a heat sink and I start to heat up everything which is usually not good.

You might be able to find a low temp brazing rod for your application but to be honest I don't even know if they make one.

Maybe someone else will post here that knows more about brazing using Mapp gas.
It really isn't hot enough for me but maybe others have had luck with some smaller rods.

Didn't the OP state that he doesn't have oxy and wants to use what he has?There is a flux coated brass rod that is perfectly fine for the steel to steel work he wants to do.

Didn't the OP state that he doesn't have oxy and wants to use what he has?There is a flux coated brass rod that is perfectly fine for the steel to steel work he wants to do.

RH whatta you know!! You're only a plumber and pipefitter union worker :big_smile:

Your right

Sorry about that, but your right.

You had the right answer, don't know what I was thinking.

Sorry about that, but your right.

You had the right answer, don't know what I was thinking.

Im sorry to,I didn't mean for my wording to sound harsh. See, this just goes to show that people on AS can get along and talk nicely to each other,as long as I am right.Just kidding,nice talking to ya.:msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:

You know it's funny...

If you were talking to someone on the street you would act normal like everyone else.

For some reason you put someone in front of a computer and they turn into someone else.
I spend alot of time here and you-boob. Some of the comments on You boob/tube
I just can't believe.

lately some of the people on these sites just want to "stir the pot" at my age the pot has been stirred.

Take care, Kap

A 3/32 coated brazing rod should work just fine. We can buy them single or by the package at local hardware store.
I use oxy/propane and think mapp should be ok too!

Brazing doesnt really build it melts and flows after the metal goes molten . If your going for a low profile joint it will work , but have you given any thought to mild steel rods . I personally like mild steel welds they look alot more like tig work if your good. Though I dont know if map will turn your metal hot enough as im only familiar with oxy/acetylene . Map is hotter then propane and you can silfoss copper with a propane torch but never used map gas myself.

Brazing Temp -- Caution

Word Of Caution:

The MAPP/oxygen flame is not entirely appropriate for welding steel, due to the high concentration of hydrogen in the flame - higher than acetylene, but lower than any of the other petroleum fuel gases. The hydrogen infuses into the molten steel and renders the welds BRITTLE.

Metal Melting Point
-----(oC)----(oF)
Brass 930 1710

Fuel Gas Combustion with Oxygen (oC) Combustion with Air (oC)
Acetylene --------------------3,100 -----------2,400
MAPP1) ----------------------2,980 ------------NA
Propane ---------------------2,820 -----------1,980
Propane Butane Mix ---------NA ------------- 1,970

I would recommend using Oxy-Acetylene with the Acetylene a little rich to add more carbon to the weld joint. This will help with vibrations.

Try wire coathangers or bailing wire.

The old coat hangers did work but there isnt enough brass in the new ones . Plus the flux on the rods does help. I remember a welding teacher telling me that years ago , but same as anything else . If its made in china its prolly not going to work long or at all .

Back