New garden tractor to haul weekend warrior firewood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the literal explosion of cheap chi com atv's out there, there is a lot of smaller knobby tires that can mount right up to tractor rims if you have a tire changer and a tube, I did a set on my buddies old ford 100 last spring and that old relic will just about pull a house now.

Don't underestimate what a garden tractor can move, that is for sure. Be aware that the old murry is a lawn mower, not a garden tractor. Keep excess tongue weight off of the rear end or those bushings are gonna go in a new york minute. She should do a fine job for ya if not abused.

If you try to abuse it like a garden tractor you will be disappointed. Just say'in - I don't wanna see you break your new toy.:cheers:

This is a Cub Cadet 2072 that I sold last year before I moved. Hydrostatic drive, power steering and a 60" deck.

CubCadet2072032.jpg

Back when Cub Cadet built decent tractors. Had that one with a 54" deck and a 44" snow blower. Also had the same tractor with a 3 cyl. Kubota diesel in it. Back then they mounted the Kubota backwards. both were great tractors.

I used to have a picture of the Cub Cadet 2072, John Deere 317 and John Deere LA115 lined up together.. The front tires on the Cub Cadet were the same size as the rear tires on the LA115.

Last edited:
My 1978 Case 446. I have wheel weights and chains for when I'm towing wood around. I also filled the rear tires with fluid that adds about 200lbs and helps a lot with traction and stability.

IMAG0248.jpg

Don't underestimate what a garden tractor can move, that is for sure. Be aware that the old murry is a lawn mower, not a garden tractor. Keep excess tongue weight off of the rear end or those bushings are gonna go in a new york minute. She should do a fine job for ya if not abused.

If you try to abuse it like a garden tractor you will be disappointed. Just say'in - I don't wanna see you break your new toy.:cheers:
Thanks, Jags.

I was wondering about that. On the side of the hood it says garden tractor. But it does resemble a mower. It lacks the hydro drive, the JD got me spoiled. :D

The cart we use seems to be well-balanced. I was surprised... loaded it with rounds the other day and, just for giggles I lifted on the tongue. There was no tongue weight to mention. I could lift it with one hand.

Mcycler, thanks for the post and links. :)

Man, that's a jobber cart you got there. I hear ya about these cheap Chinee rib tires. They don't hold up very well out in the woods. I blew one out the other day and had to drive into town to Tractor Supply to get a replacement. The cart came stock with 'em. One of my forthcoming projects is to replace them with wider tires.

The axle rod is 3/4" and I've dragged it through some pigged up conditions in these woods. Sank the wheels to the axles in mud, pulled it over small logs. So far I've hauled out over 7 cords of wood ~ started last summer ~ and it's been solid. It's made by Ohio Steel.

Replace the turf tires on that tractor with super lugs and you won't need the chains anymore. ;)

Tried posting this yesterday but it never showed up.

My 1978 Case 446. This thing will tow a house.

IMAG0248.jpg

Replace the turf tires on that tractor with super lugs and you won't need the chains anymore. ;)

I run the chains on this machine in the cold weather because it's the same one I use for snow removal. Not that I've had much chance to push snow this year. In fact, the machine is now back to summer configuration. I run 6X12, old style Goodyear Lawn and Garden tires on it in the summer. I pulled the Goodyear tires/rims off an old Sears Custom I found in a scrap yard.

I've run chained tires and AG tires in the woods and they seem to work about the same for me. If I was running the turning plow in wet soil, the 8.5X12 AG tires would be on it...... But then again I'd probably be using the SS15, which has those tires mounted already. :)

I don't own this machine any more but it was an interesting tractor. It was a Speedex which was a locally made tractor. 16hp cast iron Briggs (looked like a Kohler) and a 3 speed crosley transmission. It had a hyd lift cat 0 3pt hitch with plow, disc, and cultivators. I had a snow plow and 48 and 60" mower decks. It's "clutch" was a pedal that slid the engine forward against the drive belt. It had way more power than it had traction which made it fairly aggrivating to use. I got rid of it after I bought my zero turn. All I really did with it was pull the trailer around the yard and a hitch on the ZT made it almost unnecessary.

firstfell.jpg

Remarkably good shape! I like that cab as well.

It didn't look like that when I bought it. It had sat outside without running for almost 10 years. The entire tractor looked like the blade that's on it in the picture.

The blade was the only thing I hadn't refinished when this picture was taken.

I use it mainly for snow removal and hauling stuff around the property.

[video=youtube;Y6ikA5yEnhs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ikA5yEnhs&feature=channel[/video]

bolens g-10

View attachment 230719
picture of my boles g-10. new exhaust i put on, off a harley i found at a scrapyard
first time posting a picture so forgive me its messed up
these garden tractors are unstoppable, they sure don't make them like they used to.

Latest posts

Back