Why I prefer a 460 over a 660 90% of the time.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just ported a 066BB last week. Here we have a new 460. The 066 was wearing an 8-pin and cut a 5.79 in this wood. This 460 was only wearing a 7-pin and cut a 5.89. I believe it would have been faster than the 066 with the 8-pin, but I was out of daylight. Until the wood gets significantly bigger, the 460 is a much better choice. This hold true for most of the 70cc-80cc saws. They turn more RPMs yet have plenty of grunt to back them up. The 460 is one of my favorite saws of all. Of course, if you're pulling a 36" bar, or longer, go with the 066/660.

Here's the 460.
[video=youtube_share;is1o9CCusR0]http://youtu.be/is1o9CCusR0[/video]

Makes sense. I should have my 046 done some time this summer, so I'll do a 046/064 comparison like this when it's done. If it cuts half as fast as yours, I'll be happy :biggrin:

That 460 looks strong and the 066 sounds a little lazy. Is that the nature of the BB on them?

A 390 and 460 feel about the same at the end of the day. I think the 390 will cut longer on a tank also.

That 460 looks strong and the 066 sounds a little lazy. Is that the nature of the BB on them?

A 390 and 460 feel about the same at the end of the day. I think the 390 will cut longer on a tank also.

Side by side like this, a 460 will make a 660 sound that way. The 660 just doesn't make the RPMs of a 460. That's why I love a 460 so much. The numbers are less than ideal on the BB kits, but it made good RPMs and felt very good in the cut. I could push on it hard, even with the 8-pin.

I fully agree! I take my 460 almost every time. Only when it comes to the stump does the 66 come out of the truck. And wearing a 28" Bar mostly takes care of 90% Of the wood I come across daily Here In the northeast. My saw is ported so I dont just like it, I love it!

.....with a 046 topend:clap:

you mean like this

My reply - Why not both? This is a MS440 with a ported MS460 topend. This is the very first 1/4 tank of fuel on this P&C, so no break-in time yet. In the vid, I have it tuned just a tad rich to 15,000. You can easily hear it 4-stroke every time it comes out of the cut. I saw as high as 15,800 in tuning it, but not sure I'd cut with it there. 15,500 would be fine for cookie cutting. Push on it and it's still turning 11K+. There's nothing weak about this saw, despite the RPMs it makes. There's no popup in this saw, but is already making 175 PSI compression cold and 162 PSI hot. It started cold this morning in 2 pulls. There's no reason for a ported saw not to be at least as user friendly as a stock saw. Porting is really just optimizing the design. Young, enjoy your new toy:)!!!

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5Pnnzm2OisM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hahahahahaha:clap::clap::clap:

I agree...I just traded the 660 I built last winter for this. However, instead of a 460 I use an 044 over 95% of the time.

232964d1334028298-4-9-12-038-medium-jpg

232963d1334028295-dscn1150%5B1%5D-%5B1600x1200%5D-jpg

I like my 460. I dont really miss my 044, and it was a damn good running saw. Mastermind done a hell of a good job on that saw.

Yup, it runs pretty damn strong. Nite folks! back to my remodel hell!

Man I wish cutting trees was all about 18" sticks sittin in a sawbuck and a camera....

lets go find some 4' oak and put some 36" or better bars on both those saws and give the 66 a chance at what its designed to work at. Its not always about RPM....so much tougher to measure torque with a camera though...

Sorry guys they are both great saws....one is designed to run in MUCH bigger wood then the other. So yes if I only HAD to bring one saw to the landing to cut firewood...it would be the 460.

Man I wish cutting trees was all about 18" sticks sittin in a sawbuck and a camera....

lets go find some 4' oak and put some 36" or better bars on both those saws and give the 66 a chance at what its designed to work at. Its not always about RPM....so much tougher to measure torque with a camera though...

Sorry guys they are both great saws....one is designed to run in MUCH bigger wood then the other. So yes if I only HAD to bring one saw to the landing to cut firewood...it would be the 460.

Good post......and so true.

The only gripe I have toward the 1122 series is directed at the newer versions. The 660 is a weak nutted overweight pig (using Sawtroll speak :laugh:) compared to the flat top or red light.

Here's a video of a well modified 660 doing it's thing. The exhaust port is just too high from the factory for the saw to ever run as well as a stock flat top. It's these saws that make a 460 look good......well at least till I get ahold of em. :D

[video=youtube;sBcB4wmzYMI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBcB4wmzYMI&list=UUg2yelCeKwB12xIohZfmf1g&index=13&feature=plcp[/video]

Latest posts

Back