Well crap...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just spent tree hours hangin' my splittin' maul on a new piece of hickory.
Not exactly all three hours to do the hangin'... after I got the old hickory punched out I took a little time to polish the sides of the maul before hangin' the head. Then did a real nice job hangin' it... dead straight and in-line with the handle. Put a bit of a finish on the wood and decided to give it a good sharpening. So I'm finishing polishing the edge and I notice... a crack running right up through the edge about 1/2 inch long. Three hours making everything as perfect as I can and the darn thing has a huge flaw right in the edge!!! My life sucks!!!

The crack is right in the middle of the cutting edge and runs straight back into the head the length of the bevel.
For what it costs to replace I won't try and fix it (weld it?)... I just wish I hadn't spent the money and time on the new handle. Not that 15 bucks and 3 hours is gonna' break me... but still... And I really liked that maul.

I'm not sure how a splitter head would weld but you might as well try it. Worst that can happen is that it will continue to crack.

Cut it into a T shape with the grinder and fill it with weld, grind smooth and use it.

Could you post a pic of the crack to let us see how bad it is, we might have some more options. And no plumer cracks either.

Beefie

The guy who used to rehandle our firetools, gave everything a knock with a hammer, anything with a crack would sound off, this test included handles too.

I wonder how long that crack has been there, the maul should still split just as well as it did before you saw the crack. But if you're feeling energetic you could just put a new head on that nice handle and the maul will be good as new :laugh:.

"Hmmmmmm.......I never drink when I'm in a bad mood... 'cause bad things happen...
I learned many, many years ago to only drink when I'm in a good mood, content and relaxed."

Totally agree; its one of those lessons that only comes from experience. For whatever reason, when you're young, drinking 'cause you're in a bad mood always seems like a good idea - never is.

Hmmmmmm.......I never drink when I'm in a bad mood... 'cause bad things happen...
I learned many, many years ago to only drink when I'm in a good mood, content and relaxed.[/,QUOTE]

I (ONLY) drink when I'm alone or with somebody. Break that 27 out I have found mine to be a great tool.

Back