Crown Royal Stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ralph worley

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello Everybody
Does anybody here have any experience with the Crown Royal Stove company? Any information will be helpful.
Thank you
Ralph

I don't have any personal experience with them, but the dealer where I bought my chainsaw has had 2 in the last 3 years due to the water jacket developing leaks. He said the dealer has replaced them without hassle. The dealer is just a few miles from me and he seems to always have a few "used" units on the lot. I just bought a Shaver 165 after doing my research and can't wait to get it.

Stoves

I just bought a Shaver 165 , hope to get it by the end of July. I think it will be the better stove for the price. ( can't afford a glassifier)
Does any one know about the pex pipe on e-bay? is it ok to use? I see that in this department you don't want to go cheap or have to redo it. My buddy can get me nice pex at a reasonable price ( he's in the heating biz.) he also said that insulation wasn't too much extra. my problem is that some people on this site like to use the pex with foam on it to keep out the water and separate the pipes. I need 150 - 160 feet of nice insulated pex, any suggestions? or do I ins. my own pex?:confused: :monkey:

Corley5 what experience have you had with the Crown Royal Stove ? What reason do you have that the HeatMaster SS is a better stove. What is your like and dislike? thank you for all your information.
mistergreentree and ltree i look at the shaver 165 also great price before the steel price jump up. i wish you both good luck with your units. but did you all go look at the shaver 165 in person. i did at my local dealer and them things where all to piece. bad welding and bad metal cuts and angle all off. the thing did not even have a lid on it the top was open you could look in and see the water. i think on the newer version they have fixed this problem. if i had order this with out seeing it upon deliver i would have said dont unload that thing here! so i say again good luck. the website they have is awesome it makes you think the shaver 165 is awesome. but maybe the units i look at my local dealer where just lemons you have lemons with everything.

Last edited:
Hello mistergreentree
could you get the phone number for me ? i would like to give that dealer a call to see what he has on his lot.
thank you
ralph

I would be happy to, however he is Amish. He has been selling them in the Amish community around here. They use generators to power them usually or some have used solar panels and a bank of batteries. Next time I drive by, if he is there, I will stop and see how you can contact him for information.

crown royal

i personally do not have any experiences with them but my brother's brotherin-law is becoming a new dealer they have had obs's for a long time i believe they have researched crown royal and believe they are a good unit . where on the east coast are you .

I have stopped by several times and they have not been in. They have a business making and repairing trailers so I don't know why they haven't been around.

I should be getting my Shaver by the end of the month.

I did speak with a friend from high school though that has had a Crown Royal for 2 years now and he is happy with his.

first thing RUN don't walk as fast as you can from them!!!.....was a dealer 4 years with them and the warranty is only good to wipe your a#@ with....and the word it's worth a plug nickel....

shaver dealer now....will see how it goes..

Last edited:
hello ghitch75

what kind of owb do you have? what are your likes and dislikes of the unit you are running? looking for all the information i can get. and how is your unit set up?

thank you
ralph

Leaking Crown Royal Stove

I bought a Crown Royal owb in 2008. The burner had a made in Canada label on it with a 2007 date. The stove is suppose to be Titanium enhanced 409 stainless steel, and as of today's date has multiple leaks along both weld seams were the water jacket walls meet the wall of the ash bin. Has anyone else had any such problems with their Crown Royal Stoves. The company will not honor the warranty because a water sample from the burner was not sent in every year even though I used boiler treatment and flush the system every year. I have been doing research and found that Northland Distributing & Manufacturing Inc now called GTM Greentech Manufacturing Inc did not even make their own stoves back then, and had them shipped in from Canada. Is it possible the wrong weld wire was used to weld the stainless together. Not only does it look like it rusted outwards where its leaking but the rest of the welds on the outside look rusted also?

I bought a Crown Royal owb in 2008. The burner had a made in Canada label on it with a 2007 date. The stove is suppose to be Titanium enhanced 409 stainless steel, and as of today's date has multiple leaks along both weld seams were the water jacket walls meet the wall of the ash bin. Has anyone else had any such problems with their Crown Royal Stoves. The company will not honor the warranty because a water sample from the burner was not sent in every year even though I used boiler treatment and flush the system every year. I have been doing research and found that Northland Distributing & Manufacturing Inc now called GTM Greentech Manufacturing Inc did not even make their own stoves back then, and had them shipped in from Canada. Is it possible the wrong weld wire was used to weld the stainless together. Not only does it look like it rusted outwards where its leaking but the rest of the welds on the outside look rusted also?

i was a dealer for around 5 years.....you got a hold of one that was welded with mild steel wire instead of 409 stainless wire.....there are a lot of unhappy pep's out there with NDMI......they make up their own rules on how they take care of their warranties and the owner of the boiler always gets the shaft!!!!.......Keith Horn is one of the most dishonest business owner out there and his word is worth nothing!!!!......your best bet is to get a lawyer and sue them for the cost of the boiler.....i would assume that is why their name changed was to get out of lawsuits.....i feel for ya....

Leaking Crown Royal Stove

i was a dealer for around 5 years.....you got a hold of one that was welded with mild steel wire instead of 409 stainless wire.....there are a lot of unhappy pep's out there with NDMI......they make up their own rules on how they take care of their warranties and the owner of the boiler always gets the shaft!!!!.......Keith Horn is one of the most dishonest business owner out there and his word is worth nothing!!!!......your best bet is to get a lawyer and sue them for the cost of the boiler.....i would assume that is why their name changed was to get out of lawsuits.....i feel for ya....

Thanks for responding back. I got that impression of the company. My welder said its not worth trying to fix. The entire weld from the front to back along the ash bin wall has failed on both sides. The outsides of the welds on the water jacket are also rust already. I did not send in a water sample every year other then the first year. They make it such a pain. You have to send in samples until you pass their water test. I even used boiler treatment and drained the unit every year and it still rusted out

if you wasn't so far away i could fix it for you....i'm set up to weld 409 stainless.....i have fix 24 of them in the past 5 years.....i hate it when i here of pep's havin' trouble with them.......i hope you get it straightened out....good luck...

How to fix

The welder I had look at it stated that he could fix the leak, but also said that the entire weld is just going to spring more weeks? is there a way to just fix this entire welds just below the ash grates in the area where the ash pan sits at one time. He has welded stainless before, but not this 409 stainless and when he researched it he found it to be the cheapest.

He also stated this " As far as an additional cause of your problem , I believe the pitting corrosion you are experiencing next to the welds could have been created by stainless steel welding problem called “carbide precipitation” causing ( INTERGRANULAR CORROSION) due to the high concentrated heat associated with welding the material together, removed the chromium content of the metal in the heat affected areas closely adjacent to the sides of the welds removing the ability of the stainless to protect it’s self and actually may have accelerated the pitting corrosion. If an incorrect welding wire or a defective 409 stainless material with a higher than normal level of carbon was used in your boiler it would make this problem worse. A low amount of boiler chemicals could have also made it even worse. I believe your boiler is un repairable to a satisfactory condition because it is full of pin holes inside around all of the welds." "Although I am not an engineer I believe this problem was created by at least one or more of the following causes. Poor welding procedure engineering, Poor or low cost material grade selection , or defective stainless steel material from a third world country where there is no regulation or uniformity to the quality of the steel produced . I think the boiler company knew their product was marginal and they are stressing the water testing as an “out “ to their problem or as the only last effort of prevention. I think you could classify this a defect in materials or workmanship. However you cannot prove it unless you spend money to have the material and weld samples tested by a welding engineer."

What do you think ? and do you have any suggestion for him when welding it. He is very good at what he does and is a highly respect member of our community. Thanks for your time.

Back