Which to buy...Dolmar 120 Super -or- Homelite 450 -or- Homelite 923?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stutheweak

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score

120 Super with good b/c for $210

-OR-

Homelite 450 for $160 (newish 28" bar and NEW .404 skip chain)

-OR-

Homelite 923 with good b/c for $200.

Which one would you buy, if you could only have one, and why?

I know nothing about the Dolmar, but both the Homies are far too expensive for me to even give a second thought to.

[EDIT]

Oops.... I misread the post, I though it was a 410 Homie. I am with Hoss, get the 450.

Last edited:
Homelite 450's can bring twice that much depending on condition. For my money the 450 is the choice here. They rev well and have lots of torque. Thet are a strong 74cc's and were supplied with up to a 31" bar. This is a thin ring side chain tensioning (waayyy before stihl) wood eating machine and for that price it would be my choice every day and twice on sunday.

The 450's big knock is that it has a fixed H-jet on the carb. Also, it is basically the same saw as a 550 with less snot. But $160 is not a bad price, but I don't believe you can get double for it. Surprised that there are no votes for the 923. A very robust saw with plenty of power. No AV and a bit heavy, but I like mine. Never run a 120, but Dolmars are sure good saws.

I think it comes down to individual condition of the saws.

The 450's big knock is that it has a fixed H-jet on the carb. Also, it is basically the same saw as a 550 with less snot. But $160 is not a bad price, but I don't believe you can get double for it. Surprised that there are no votes for the 923. A very robust saw with plenty of power. No AV and a bit heavy, but I like mine. Never run a 120, but Dolmars are sure good saws.

I think it comes down to individual condition of the saws.

The 923 would be my second choice only no AV and doesn't rev quite as well as the 450, but I love my 925. Of course 10 more cc's in a 550 would be nice, but I would still take the 450 based on these choices. Less snot or not a 31" bar on a stock 74cc saw is no slouch. The carb from the 550 will swap onto the 450 if you wanted to race it.

120 Super with good b/c for $210

-OR-

Homelite 450 for $160 (newish 28" bar and NEW .404 skip chain)

-OR-

Homelite 923 with good b/c for $200.

Which one would you buy, if you could only have one, and why?

If you are actually going to use the saw then I would go with the 120 Super. The 923 would have to be extra minty fresh. If the 450 is in good shape it is the best dollor deal until something breaks.

The 923 would be my second choice only no AV and doesn't rev quite as well as the 450, but I love my 925. Of course 10 more cc's in a 550 would be nice, but I would still take the 450 based on these choices. Less snot or not a 31" bar on a stock 74cc saw is no slouch. The carb from the 550 will swap onto the 450 if you wanted to race it.

Yeah I swapped a 550 carb on my 450 and it goes pretty good. I would not run a 31" bar on that saw though. For $160 the price is good no doubt. watch the tanks on these saws. For some reason the baffle often breaks, causing the bar oil to mix with the gas. I know of two cases where this happened (one was mine) and I have not heard of it happening on any other Homelite.

The saw I buy will be used extensively for cutting/processing firewood...not a wall hanger. Does that change anyone's choice in the matter?

The saw I buy will be used extensively for cutting/processing firewood...not a wall hanger. Does that change anyone's choice in the matter?

Poke around your area for Dolmar dealers or contact some of this sites sponsors about parts for 120 Supers, cost, availibilty, etc....

I would still say 120 Super, way way way more comfortable to use than the 923 and the 450 is an expensive collector's toy to repair and put into hard use.

I consider them to be delicate little flowers when it comes to the construction of the 450.

120 Super = 68cc Lots of used parts, prices are all over the place.
450= =74cc Used parts are availible but can be pricey and new is typically expensive.
923= =82cc, if it is a 925 then it would be 80cc. Used parts are common for these, new parts are still easy to find but tend to be expensive.

Being original equipment parts and not parts pile rebuilds. All capable of running a 24" bar easily.

Last edited:
Haven't used the old Homelites, but the Dolmar 120si is the forerunner to the 6800i and that saw is a tank. Works great and built to last.

I am a serious Homelite collector and enthusiast but I have to say from a simple standpoint (assuming you are new to saws) I would go with the Dolmar. The reason is you are a new saw guy you will need dealer support and parts down the line. The two Homelite saws you mentioned are good saws but you will play hel' getting local parts/dealer support.

Bill

I also vote for the Dolmar. The 120 super is a very good dependable saw, I own two. They are comfortable to run and very smooth runners. 210 is a good price too. I would not part with one of mine for less than $300.00

I have always considered homelite a homeowners saw... Dolmar is commercial grade and hard to kill which is why they are so popular as rental units. Also the 120 Super holds it's value because the motor is popular with the model airplane crowd.

I also vote for the Dolmar. The 120 super is a very good dependable saw, I own two. They are comfortable to run and very smooth runners. 210 is a good price too. I would not part with one of mine for less than $300.00

I have always considered homelite a homeowners saw... Dolmar is commercial grade and hard to kill which is why they are so popular as rental units. Also the 120 Super holds it's value because the motor is popular with the model airplane crowd.

+1 on the Dolly. Have a 120si ported by Mastermind. Nobody touches that saw!

Back