Who is still firing up their stove this season?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like Mt Washington ( N.H.) that gets snow every month, our stoves Downeast get worked every month. Why suffer ? It's why we bust chops harvesting each winter.

June through August is the shoulder shoulder time when only the worst of the firewood is burnt: partial punks, some pooched, the odd cut-offs, all softwood.

Hey: wassup with this "firepit" thing ? So called summer comes, there's plenty else to recreate here. :rolleyes2: Each to their own.

Yesterday and today were prime times to fire up the stove, days were wet and barely 50. Good time to use up the odd pieces and the cedar. Nothing like watching a baseball game basking in that radiant heat from the old wood burner!

Like Mt Washington ( N.H.) that gets snow every month, our stoves Downeast get worked every month. Why suffer ? It's why we bust chops harvesting each winter.

June through August is the shoulder shoulder time when only the worst of the firewood is burnt: partial punks, some pooched, the odd cut-offs, all softwood.

Hey: wassup with this "firepit" thing ? So called summer comes, there's plenty else to recreate here. :rolleyes2: Each to their own.

Remind me not to move to the northeast. I can deal with -30° in the winter, as long as I know that 90° is waiting at the other end of the calendar. My stove has been cold for over a month now. There've been a few nights I got home and the house was in the high 50's, but I don't mind it, and there's no one else here to b&&&h about it being cold. Now I'm getting to the point where I'm considering putting the AC back in the window, 76° upstairs at 1AM, but still nice and cool in the basement. I'll tough it out a while longer, I hate light bills almost as much as gas bills, I just can't do as much about them.

RE: Firepits, it's a primal thing. Shortly after man discovered fire, man discovered that beer tasted better near a fire, women were more attractive in the dancing glow of a fire, and the creatures of the darkness stayed away while the fires were burning.

That, and it's a way to get rid of some of that **^&ing box elder!

PS - welcome back from "camp".

Last edited:
Remind me not to move to the northeast. I can deal with -30° in the winter, as long as I know that 90° is waiting at the other end of the calendar. My stove has been cold for over a month now. There've been a few nights I got home and the house was in the high 50's, but I don't mind it, and there's no one else here to b&&&h about it being cold. Now I'm getting to the point where I'm considering putting the AC back in the window, 76° upstairs at 1AM, but still nice and cool in the basement. I'll tough it out a while longer, I hate light bills almost as much as gas bills, I just can't do as much about them.

RE: Firepits, it's a primal thing. Shortly after man discovered fire, man discovered that beer tasted better near a fire, women were more attractive in the dancing glow of a fire, and the creatures of the darkness stayed away while the fires were burning.

That, and it's a way to get rid of some of that **^&ing box elder!

PS - welcome back from "camp".

You with the patriotic bra avatar can stay where you are.:hmm3grin2orange:

No one Downeast has any AC ( 'cept in vehicles of course ). If it ever--extremely rare on the coast--gets into the 80's, it's a heat wave. Hate, you hear, "HATE" high temps with humidity (bad memories of city summers and Camp Elgin, Pensacola). In cool or cold one can always put something on. There's only so much nudity where there's jobs or recreation to enjoy with our famed bugs: mozzies, black flies, ticks, deerflies. And yes Steve and others of interest such as Zog, we have cut WITH PPE nude in heat: full wrap chaps do soak sweat well. Try it. :msp_sneaky:

Where did this "...women were more attractive in the dancing glow of a fire..." originate ? We don need no stinkin' fire for that glow. You're some poet.

P.S. Anyone else go to Camp for "Sarcastic Baiting" ?:bang:

Built a fire this morning to get the chill out, got down to 48f last night and very windy. They are calling for a low tonight of 38f so I'll probably be building another one tomorrow morning also. I don't mind that's why I have a inside wood stove.

Latest posts

Back