When do you have "enough" wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J1m

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Between my wife's comments and those of a couple of my friends, I've begun to wonder when I've collected "enough" wood...

I have about 25-26 cord on hand right now and have another 3-4 cord that have been promised to me through a Craigslist ad. That will last me through the 2012-13 season, 13-14 season and then about half way through the 14-15 season in the OWB. I have tons of space and tons of pallets, so storage isn't an issue.

The answer I started giving my buddies is - Would you say you had "enough" #2 heating oil, propane or gasoline if someone were to offer it to you for free? Same thing.

So, at what point do you scroungers call it "enough?"

I suppose I'd stop for a year if I had 3 years worth put up. Or keep doing it and sell dry wood in February for an outrageous price...

I was splitting and stacking some oak just last weekend when mom and dad stopped, they were on their way to a family wedding (they needed to be there early for pictures). Mom was concerned I wasn’t going to the wedding, but I reassured her I’d jump in the shower as soon as I finished stacking that load.

Mom; “Don’t you think you have enough wood?

Me; “Enough wood for what mom?

Mom; “I don’t know… just enough wood.

Me; “Well mom… If’n ya’ have a half tank of gas in your car ya’ know ya’ have enough gas to drive to Waterloo and back… but if’n ya’re gonna drive to Des Moines ya’ know ya’re gonna’ need more gas… Right?

Mom; “Yeah, that’s right.

Me; “Well… ya’re the one that thinks I have enough wood… I’m just wondering what ya' think I have enough wood for.

Mom; “Well… How much do you think is enough?

Me: “Enough for what?

Dad started laughing and drove the car (and mom) away.

Last edited:
Between my wife's comments and those of a couple of my friends, I've begun to wonder when I've collected "enough" wood...

I have about 25-26 cord on hand right now and have another 3-4 cord that have been promised to me through a Craigslist ad. That will last me through the 2012-13 season, 13-14 season and then about half way through the 14-15 season in the OWB. I have tons of space and tons of pallets, so storage isn't an issue.

The answer I started giving my buddies is - Would you say you had "enough" #2 heating oil, propane or gasoline if someone were to offer it to you for free? Same thing.

A couple signs you got too much firewood...

5. If your stash is gonna rot before you can get it burned...
4. If the bugs are eating as many tons as you are producing...
3. If you've lost more than one dog to a "wood avalanch"...
2. If you find yourself obsessing about the load bearing capacity of your last 4 corner stacks...

And the #1 sign?

1. If you take out an extra $10,000.00 insurance policy for the contents of your wood shed...
:hell_boy:

Now you guys can cough up some rep for how long it took me to type all this stuff...
I can't seem to make it off page 3...
Hit me!!!

Last edited:
In the past, when I have really laid up the fire wood I have found the "dust beetles" turn a lot of it to ,,well, dust in spite of spraying for bugs.
I try to stay a year ahead and leave the rest in the woods. Sure the critters are gonna eat some of it up but I'd rather they do that out in the woods instead of in my wood stash.
I have noticed since building an actual wood shed, I have been able to more effectively control the critters with bug bombs as my shed is a "convertible" design. I use a Tyvek style tarp which I can roll the sides up or down and I have sealed the shed up tight, bombed the hell out of it and rolled the sides back up. NO signs at all of bugs or critters.

The shed is 15x25 and I had planned on having it mostly full before putting the tools away this spring, but alas, the fishing has been killer great and I am done cutting 'till this fall. FISH ON!!
I've got about 8 cords and that'll be a good start to next year. I love to cut in the winter, even in the worst of winter weather, I just love being out doors.

Three years ahead and I sleep better at night. :)

We cut for our own use only, we don't sell the stuff. Average use is around three cord per year. Any more than three years ahead and it'll rot in this gawdawful humid climate.

Haven't reached that point yet so I just don't know. I want several years ahead, plus extra. The oak I am not worried about rotting or getting eaten up by bugs (I hope), some of the other stuff, I'll burn that first.

I think I have enough. I hated telling the tree service to stop dropping off wood. I dont want to be working with wood during the summer months. To hot. I was getting 4 to 5 dump trailer load a week. Now I can have time to go boating and camping.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

for me, when they start putting the pallets down over the hole that my casket is in..............................Frustrated as hell right now as I would love to be out cutting, but had a new left knee joint installed last wednesday. no playin in the bush until this fall @ a minimum. did spent the xtra $20. though, and had the Doc install 2 grease fittings on this one. Only got 62 years out of the original.................................LOL

I have 2 year's worth of "house wood" & next winter's "shop wood" stacked out back. I don't worry about being too far ahead for the shop because we generally burn crappier wood (Tulip Poplar, Silver Maple, etc.) in there. I figure too far ahead & it'll rot. Besides I can get that light weight stuff dry in a few months & somebody's always giving some away around here.

There's another 3-4 cords worth of Locust logs & rounds behind the stacks, I'll get to them sooner or later.

I'd have to say enough is when you no longer need to take (or get) any wood that you really don't want. When you can be selective about what you take & how far you'll go for wood, you're set. Doesn't mean I'm gonna stop cutting, though

The definitive answer to "having enough":One more than what you have

I was 40+ cords a couple years ago and have been adding to it every year. Dunno now but I'm still cutting with 8 Black Locust still in the lineup. Not really looking for anymore for this year.

Harry K

Never enough. I'm ahead (cut and split) two winters+, and I'm always looking for more. I never seem to have a problem parting with a couple cord a year though..... helps subsidize the tools.

I agree with the one comment. You have enough when your stash rots before you get to burn it. That's when you know you need to focus on black locust.....

I really don't know . But twice this year I've had people stop in and ask if I was running a sawmill and firewood company . When I tell them I'm just doing my best to get as far ahead as I can while my health is good, they just look like they don't get it .

Back