Log/Pulp hook.....who uses one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Indespensible (sp.) to any kind of wooding--here it's second only to the saws for handling wood. Get one.

Jeremy's pic is an older hook model that's not too effective for wood. Get the orange ( nice color! ) one shown by Center Conway, NH with the tiny triangular replaceable tip. $30. is cheap for this. This tip easily goes into any log---and, more important, removes easily for throwing butts or 4' pulp. Yes, you can kiss your body with the hook IF used in the wrong way; happens to all of us.

BTW: Kevlar chaps will NOT prevent blood from a missed hook throw !

A pulp hook hangs from my belt when cutting. ( I know, not safe. :msp_w00t:)

JMNSHEO

attachment.php

I don't know which sign I like the best LOL .

Thanks A100HVA

here's a pic of the ones i use and sell,they are the "gripo" brand with replaceable tip. they work great!
CHECKPHOTOS013.jpg

less than $30. (the wooden handle one at the end is a short "pickaroon") :D

What's the extra large size roll of TP for ? :hmm3grin2orange:

( Business name/location ? )

Indespensible (sp.) to any kind of wooding--here it's second only to the saws for handling wood. Get one.

Jeremy's pic is an older hook model that's not too effective for wood. Get the orange ( nice color! ) one shown by Center Conway, NH with the tiny triangular replaceable tip. $30. is cheap for this. This tip easily goes into any log---and, more important, removes easily for throwing butts or 4' pulp. Yes, you can kiss your body with the hook IF used in the wrong way; happens to all of us.

BTW: Kevlar chaps will NOT prevent blood from a missed hook throw !

A pulp hook hangs from my belt when cutting. ( I know, not safe. :msp_w00t:)

JMNSHEO

You definitely want to be at least wearing jeans when swinging a pulp hook. I'm pretty sure I've poked myself at least once. Fortunately, it wasn't bad. :msp_mellow:

I keep one in the truck just in case.

I never knew a proper name for this one, it carries the hook at a 90° angle from the ones show in this thread. Either way, it is very handy for getting a grip on a log, or even a big round when they are stubbornly stuck on a pile or in a bramble heap.

hook.JPG

Last edited:
I never knew a proper name for this one, it carries the hook at a 90° angle from the ones show in this thread. Either way, it is very handy for getting a grip on a log, or even a big round when they are stubbornly stuck on a pile or in a bramble heap.

hook.JPG

Wow that is a odd looking hook, Looks kinda bulky. How well do they work ?

Wow that is a odd looking hook, Looks kinda bulky. How well do they work ?

Not all that bulky, the handle is big enough for one hand in a good glove, so the whole thing is probably smaller than the other pulp hooks pictured in this thread. It has worked great for me in places where finger tips/finger nails just weren't enough grip to pull something. Husqvarna calls it a lifting hook (Lifting hook - Forest tools ) I use it as much for pulling as lifting.

A100HVA; My pulp hook has the replaceable tip. The tip profile is triangular and flat, or blunt, not pointed. Should the tip be ground to a point or is this the intended shape? It works well in the end of a round, okay in the side of a round with considerable more force to set the tip. Removes well either way so I figured that is why it is the way it is, for removing easier, and who knows, less knee cap penetration. It does look a bit odd however. It is bright orange. I got it through Bailey's this Spring and I believe it is Canadian made.

A100HVA; My pulp hook has the replaceable tip. The tip profile is triangular and flat, or blunt, not pointed. Should the tip be ground to a point or is this the intended shape? It works well in the end of a round, okay in the side of a round with considerable more force to set the tip. Removes well either way so I figured that is why it is the way it is, for removing easier, and who knows, less knee cap penetration. It does look a bit odd however. It is bright orange. I got it through Bailey's this Spring and I believe it is Canadian made.

Is use it in the intended shape unless it is bured up really good.

Back