Ms660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomhower

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Wanting a 660R, 32" Sugihara bar but not sure on what chain I want though. Wanted to hear how you guys would order one of these beast. Is there anything special I can order them with? The wrap is already s.o. in the south so if I'm going to have wait on it. I might as well get any extra bells n whistles. Thoughts?

Last edited:
RSC cuts fast, but I bet it's hard to get it ground properly in the South. RMC might be a better choice. Holds up better in rough conditions, too. It's what I have my crews use. I would recommend it to anybody as a general-purpose chain.

RSC cuts fast, but I bet it's hard to get it ground properly in the South. RMC might be a better choice. Holds up better in rough conditions, too. It's what I have my crews use. I would recommend it to anybody as a general-purpose chain.

?

All of my saws 50cc and up wear RS or RSC. Sharpens easily with a round file.

I run full-chisel mostly. Skip, full-comp, doesn't much matter with that saw and bar IMO. Stihl semi-chisel is a great chain for dirty conditions. I use it for flushing stumps pre-grind. It is, as Madhatte mentions, a great all around chain. Any kind of full-chisel is a pita to get back in shape after you hit something. For the most part brand is neither here nor there IMO. Just keep whatever you are using sharp.

I have the RSC on my 440. Your right about them being hard to get back into shape after hitting something...they dont hold up very well to limestone. :censored: . I think Im leaning toward the RSF...but I've never seen them at the dealer around here. I mostly cut oak. Also, can these saws be ordered with a d.p. muffler...my dealer had no clue what that was. Is that even an option from Stihl? Thanks for the replys!

Last edited:
All of my saws 50cc and up wear RS or RSC. Sharpens easily with a round file.

RSC comes from the factory ground square. You have to re-profile it to round to file it round. I don't know of too many shops grinding square east of the Rockies. You give up some speed going from square to round, but you get a bit of durability in exchange. The RMC is a semi-chisel profile which is more durable still, due to the fact that it uses the side and top plates as much as the corner for cutting, where even round-ground RSC hits the wall when its corner is blunted.

Note: avoid the RMC3 -- the doubled rakers are a pain to file. "Safety" is in the operator as much as it is in the equipment.

EDIT: oh, yeah -- square ground is RSL*. D'OH! Still stickin' with my brouhaha about the corner on chisel vs. semi-chisel.

Last edited:
Wanting a 660R, 32" Sugihara bar but not sure on what chain I want though. Wanted to hear how you guys would order one of these beast. Is there anything special I can order them with? The wrap is already s.o. in the south so if I'm going to have wait on it. I might as well get any extra bells n whistles. Thoughts?

Get the dual port cover and High out put oiler,(thats if the r model doesn't already have some of those features)and that will give you one strong stock saw:D

Some dual port mod info:

A while back I asked a question in this thread:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=59011

The question was about the part number for the muffler with the large outlet, the one used before OSHA strangled the saw. No one seemed to know what the part number was.

After looking in the IPL I decided to order the whole assembly that included the dual port cover. I thought there might be a chance that they would match. The gamble paid off.

Part number 1122 140 0603 includes the large outlet muffler, the dual port casing, both spark screens, and the screw for the front screen.

A pic of the large outlet muffler

attachment.php

It would be great if Stihl would sell an MS660 Power Up kit, like this one:

attachment.php

Pictured are the:

Large outlet, dual port casing muffler (1122 140 0603)
Limiter caps (4203 121 2700)
Limiter cap puller (5910 890 4500)

Well..."BIG NASTY" is in the makings...I just have to explain it to the wife why :popcorn:

Sometimes, there is no good explanation. This may be one of those "just because" situations.

If she's into psychology, she may tell you why but we won't go there. Sounds like you are just getting ready for the next big storm to me...

Sometimes, there is no good explanation. This may be one of those "just because" situations.

If she's into psychology, she may tell you why but we won't go there. Sounds like you are just getting ready for the next big storm to me...

I think you hit the nail on the head.

What do you guys think of this one...ebay item number 300727620924. This saw is brand new but has the 066 fuel n oil caps, high output oiler and duel port muffler wtf??? How would I order one like this? Would it even still be avaliable in the US?

The 660 still used the screw in caps. It's the only large stihl saw that hasn't got flippy caps.

The 660 still used the screw in caps. It's the only large stihl saw that hasn't got flippy caps.

Didnt know that...was looking at the sales brochure my dealer gemme and it shows it with flippy caps...not so much worried about that but the other goodies that this saw has on it. How would I order my saw with the 066 goodness package??? :blob2:

You would need the aussie muffler and oiler to make it like the old 066s that were rated at 7.7hp instead of 7 like they are now. You would get a lot better running saw to wait and get a nice used one from the AS classifieds. There was 3 on there a few days ago.

RSC comes from the factory ground square. You have to re-profile it to round to file it round. I don't know of too many shops grinding square east of the Rockies. You give up some speed going from square to round, but you get a bit of durability in exchange. The RMC is a semi-chisel profile which is more durable still, due to the fact that it uses the side and top plates as much as the corner for cutting, where even round-ground RSC hits the wall when its corner is blunted.

Note: avoid the RMC3 -- the doubled rakers are a pain to file. "Safety" is in the operator as much as it is in the equipment.

EDIT: oh, yeah -- square ground is RSL*. D'OH! Still stickin' with my brouhaha about the corner on chisel vs. semi-chisel.
Good points my brother, and very true. I have cut with every chain ever made, can say the fastest one is a square ground full skip chisel. For extreme falling production speed. True the corner is what does the most, true if it hits something it is over. But most guys swap the chain, if not I can have one filed in record time and on the road. Probably faster than most guys change a chain. With a stump vise any way LOL! But a strong second, or maybe a tie would be a guy like me who knows how to round file one, and it does take practice to round file one. But mine side by side with sqaure ground is almost dead even, but I also have the rakers down to a science, that is just as important, as I am sure you know. I have seen you cut you know what I sharp chain is I like that! The biggest difference I see square or round filing a chisel chain, is how it grabs in the undercut, meeting the corners with the Humbolt. Much harder with round filed ones. The square digs right in like a boot heal, and lets you get a bite, and angle better. You are right though on the durability issue. Good post like I said my friend you brought up some key points. Guess it depends on the use, timber faller we know the answer. Firewood, general wood round may be best, or whatever the preference. I run full skip chisel on every saw I have, but usually clean conditions, if not I clean the wood. Worst thing for us is hitting fence wire, or nails in the tree. I have put a few chains in the trash, that sucks.

Back