Stack or pile

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.W Younger

ass kissing impaired
Reaction score
Welp, i'm behind on my stacking again and as usual am lookin for a way out of it.. I would like to just stack in the shed green but when i built the shed it was just for keepin allready dry wood dry. 3 closed sides and a roof and a 4 cord capacity on paper but 2.5 stacked and measured sabout it Thinkin i may just pile it on pallets between 2 stacks. These 2 stacks are 16' and 6' tall 8' apart with the end closed by a stack between em. This makes a box 14' long8' wide and 6' tall that should hold3-4 cords piled and be easy to cover. May not dry all that fast tho...never tried this before. Guess i'll be findin out unless someone talks me out of it fast.

If you are planning on using it to burn this coming winter that wood in the middle won't be ready. No air flow and completely boxed in is no way to dry anything. Just my 2cents, but you asked.

I split a little each evening, & throw the splits in a pile. They get more sun exposure than stacked, at least until they're buried by successive pieces. I'll stack on pallets this Fall & cover the tops of the stacks (unless I FINALLY get around to building that woodshed).

If you are planning on using it to burn this coming winter that wood in the middle won't be ready. No air flow and completely boxed in is no way to dry anything. Just my 2cents, but you asked.
Yeah i agree but have dry wood for the next 2 winters.

Time Estimates

Here's my time analysis of cut, load and haul, split, stack, and burn:

Cutting takes about the same amout of time as loading and hauling rounds (and then unloading). Splitting rounds takes longer than stacking the splits but together with stacking, they take about the same amount of time as cutting, loading, and hauling the rounds.

Burning takes longer than all of the other five processes put together. Thank the Lord for that.

If you have plenty of wood ready to go you might try tossing it your "wood corral" and see how it goes.

Heck, it's your wood, toss it out of the way and go fishin'.

Personally I can't stand it when my wood aint stacked, that's why i quit cuttin' a couple,,well a few, months ago and have gone fishin' every chance I get. Too dry to mow grass,, so I try and go fishin'.

Fishin' is good for the heart.

Let us know how it goes,,,,,or ask that fella out there in Iowa,,bet he won't tell ya' to go fishin'!!:hmm3grin2orange:

Compromise, lay out the pallets in a big square, but make a holz hausen whatever type of stack on top of them. Those are designed to hold a lot of wood in a small space but still air dry good. Then once a year, after winter burning season, bring the oldest outside wood inside and square stack in the shed.

I tried loose thrown piles,,never worked for me. Maybe some areas with very low humidity they might work, but not around here.

I stack all my wood on pallets so they dry out quicker and I can burn them sooner, I personally think that the Holz Hausen keeps the moisture in a little to much but that could be just my experience. Just trying to help out here Zogger :)

...or ask that fella out there in Iowa,,bet he won't tell ya' to go fishin'!!:hmm3grin2orange:

The way things have been goin' for me lately fishin' sounds like a good idea.
It seems I can't get my wood split and stacked this year... still have 4-5 cord of rounds laying in the woodlot in piles. Everything I've touched or used in the last 3 weeks or so breaks. I spent darn near my whole Fathers Day weekend in the shop "fixing" stuff. The old JD grass cutter I use in the ditches and woodlot busted the deck hanger above the transmission... near 3 hours tear-down just to remove the broken part so I could weld it back together. The starter/generator on the old Sears wood hauler quit... had to pull that and rebuild it. The string trimmer started leaking gas all over the place... new fuel lines. The leaf blower wouldn't run at all... carb overhaul. I have the garden tiller carb in pieces on the bench waiting for parts. Kids ran into a tree with the golf cart and bent the crap out'a the front bumper.

Last weekend was the engine on the splitter, flat tire on the trailer and the little boy's electric Gator had motor problems.
Come to think of it, I probably shouldn't go fishin'... the way things have been goin' the boat trailer would most likely come unhooked from the truck backin' it in and I'd bust the tail housing off the motor and sink the boat.

Ohhh.... And I've never had any luck throwin' firewood in piles, the center never drys and eventually starts to rot.

Dang it all, Whitespider, seems like that stuff comes in cycles.

At least you have the know-how and shop/equipment to keep things patched up.
You prob'ly better leave the boat at home !! Them lower drive units get expensive!! Or hate for ya' to come on here and tell us about hitting an under water stump!

At least ya' got plenty of wood worked up and stacked. Keep choppin' and diggin', them rounds in the wood lot aint going any place. And they'll sure look good once you get the plumb bob and level out as you stack 'em.

Sounds like you got a bad case of bourgeois suffering there white spider ;-)

To the OP, put on a BBQ and beer and get your buddes to give you a hand stacking. Won't take long and you'll have a good old time when you're done. Less fun is getting your kids to do it. Less fun again is getting your neighbours kids to do it. The least fun is doing it yourself.

Shaun

And, for drying wood in the shed, no matter stacked or not, if you have power in the area, put a couple of cheapie box fans blowing on the wood for as long as you can. (No pun intended, of course.) The process is AIR-drying, you know.

And whatever gets air flowing into and out of the shed is a good thing.

The only problem i've had with rot has been caused by bugs, especially the hickory. The dust gets blown into the stack and stays wet from all the afternoon heating type thunderstorms we get in the summer. Even in a pile if you could keep it dry this would be less likely.
If it all was just white oak and elm rot wouldn't ever be a problem...

If you have plenty of wood ready to go you might try tossing it your "wood corral" and see how it goes.

Heck, it's your wood, toss it out of the way and go fishin'.

Personally I can't stand it when my wood aint stacked, that's why i quit cuttin' a couple,,well a few, months ago and have gone fishin' every chance I get. Too dry to mow grass,, so I try and go fishin'.

Fishin' is good for the heart.

Let us know how it goes,,,,,or ask that fella out there in Iowa,,bet he won't tell ya' to go fishin'!!:hmm3grin2orange:

Now there's some dang good advice....fish'n fixes just about all that ails ya!

Last edited:
The way things have been goin' for me lately fishin' sounds like a good idea.
It seems I can't get my wood split and stacked this year... still have 4-5 cord of rounds laying in the woodlot in piles. Everything I've touched or used in the last 3 weeks or so breaks. I spent darn near my whole Fathers Day weekend in the shop "fixing" stuff. The old JD grass cutter I use in the ditches and woodlot busted the deck hanger above the transmission... near 3 hours tear-down just to remove the broken part so I could weld it back together. The starter/generator on the old Sears wood hauler quit... had to pull that and rebuild it. The string trimmer started leaking gas all over the place... new fuel lines. The leaf blower wouldn't run at all... carb overhaul. I have the garden tiller carb in pieces on the bench waiting for parts. Kids ran into a tree with the golf cart and bent the crap out'a the front bumper.

Last weekend was the engine on the splitter, flat tire on the trailer and the little boy's electric Gator had motor problems.
Come to think of it, I probably shouldn't go fishin'... the way things have been goin' the boat trailer would most likely come unhooked from the truck backin' it in and I'd bust the tail housing off the motor and sink the boat.

Ohhh.... And I've never had any luck throwin' firewood in piles, the center never drys and eventually starts to rot.

Be carefull when ya tinkle....

The feeshin idea is indeed a winner...... well, until November rolls around. Then you'll wish you didn't go feeshin. :msp_biggrin:

Tried to rep everyone who responded to thread, but was too soon for greenjohn and ran out before gettin to dale.
maybe tommorrow.

How the heck do you run out of rep to give....:msp_w00t: My problem is I run out of folks to give it too...keep gettin that message to spread it around....shoot..I look like a manure spreader with rep and that ain't enough...:msp_w00t:

Latest posts

Back