Stack or pile

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good word.

Do you know what a or should I say who was the ...bourgeois......?

The Bourgeois – Gentlemen of the Fur Trade
The gentlemen of the North West Co. were the second wave of peddlers to launch a trading invasion of the interior from Montreal after the French. With the fall of New France in 1763, the French were quickly displaced by aggressive British merchants many of whom were self-exiled Scots. They left a troubled homeland with little in their pockets, but in spite of persecution at home, possessed an intense ambition and ingenuity. The voyageurs referred to the gentlemen as bourgeois.
http://www.whiteoak.org/historical-library/fur-trade/bourgeois/

Last edited:
find a younger neighborhood kid and pay him $8 an hour to stack it? would cost you @ $12 per cord...

...pay him $8 an hour to stack it? would cost you @ $12 per cord...

Say what? An hour and a half to stack a cord of firewood?
Man, that kid would have to be loafin'!
I'm thinkin' 40-45 minutes tops ($6.oo per cord)... even stackin' as neat as I do it only takes me a touch over 30 minutes, less if'n I rush it.

I'm thinkin' 40-45 minutes tops ($6.oo per cord)... even stackin' as neat as I do it only takes me a touch over 30 minutes, less if'n I rush it.
Now you see that right there is why i hate stackin cause it takes me so long with the OCD and stuff. Hell. i'll hunt for the perfect piece not to mention firing up the saw to bump a knot off. I figure 2 hrs per cord on average.

Me thinks geographic location is going to have a ton of impact on your need, and the value of advice received.

I HATE stacking wood, and since my families personal comfort isn't dependent on fire heating the home, I pile it as I split it. If the pile is in the way, I grapple it or witht he standard bucket- just push it out of the way....

I do have a small pallet stack right now. Two pallets on the ground, with four pallets around the sides, and a nice big piece of tin over the top. Its packed and prolly pretty dry....

I also have a pile of crotches and wyes and non-uniform splits just laying on the ground. Hell, if I'm going to stack, its going to be stacked orderly and straight.

Again, I could go either way really. If I was in the snow belt, you can bet I'd have bins made of pallets, and the loose thrown would be well air dried, only to be shuttled to the house as needed from their distant drying facility

I aint handling firewood any more than I have to. I enjoy messing about keeping up with the deadfall and the occasional clearing for the next out building, but I also have far too many things that need attention.

Once a month I run every piece of equipment for ten minutes. It saves on "repairs". I have 79 tires, fourteen batteries, fours sets of tracks, thirty IC engines, a license plate bill every year on my birthday bigger than most mortgages, and never enough time. I'd rather spend time riding a dozen boards than ####ing around with clogged carbs or weak batteries.

The plan is to live at the ranch in the winter time, renting the beach house furnished to Canadians, whose rent will pay the taxes on the beach house. I'll still probably not stak firewood though. Bins made of pallets will be forked right up onto the deck of the cabin as needed.

The only problem i've had with rot has been caused by bugs, especially the hickory. The dust gets blown into the stack and stays wet from all the afternoon heating type thunderstorms we get in the summer. Even in a pile if you could keep it dry this would be less likely.
If it all was just white oak and elm rot wouldn't ever be a problem...

I can solve yer problem JW... Just go ahead and throw the oak in a pile in your shed, then throw the hickory on a trailer as ya get it... When the trailer gets full, just pull it on up here, and we'll throw it in my barn... Then I'll load your trailer with already dry, and guaranteed not to rot wood, cook ya a steak, and you can just leave it in a pile at your place wherever you want...
Problem solved...:msp_wink:

i can solve yer problem jw... Just go ahead and throw the oak in a pile in your shed, then throw the hickory on a trailer as ya get it... When the trailer gets full, just pull it on up here, and we'll throw it in my barn... Then i'll load your trailer with already dry, and guaranteed not to rot wood, cook ya a steak, and you can just leave it in a pile at your place wherever you want...
Problem solved...:msp_wink:

Hedge,
This is the second time in the last week or so that you've mentioned wanting some Hickory... If you just need some for smoking, I can UPS you some. I have about 1/2 a cord that's been split & stacked since July 2010. I use a little for cooking, but it's mostly just firewood to me.

it was an arbitrary number. point was that if you hate stacking, there's worse ways to handle it than to find some youngish kid, pay him a little cash, and let him do it. he'll get some cash, get stronger, learn the value of hard work. you'll go fishing and lose a couple bucks...

Hedge,
This is the second time in the last week or so that you've mentioned wanting some Hickory... If you just need some for smoking, I can UPS you some. I have about 1/2 a cord that's been split & stacked since July 2010. I use a little for cooking, but it's mostly just firewood to me.

Thanks for the offer bro, but I still got a little stash left... It's kinda a deal me and JW got... He brings some hickory to the GTG, and I bring some Hedge...
He's a good fella...

For me personally I have a shed that’s 10 foot square and 10 foot tall with 3 sides that I keep my wood in. I throw all the chunks that are too small to sell in that shed and let it pile up. I will cram it fool by the end of the season and I have no problem with it drying in time to burn that year.

Now on my wood yard I can’t stand for the wood to be in a pile. I like it stacked as soon as I can get to it.

I do have a crib made of pallets 4 feet tall and 40 feet long and about 10 feet wide that catches all the short and chunk wood in and it’s sitting out in the open with no roof and it seems to dry pretty fast pilled in there. I do cover it with plywood though to keep the bulk of the rain off.

For my personal use I don’t care if it’s pilled or stacked, the less I handle it the better.

On the wood yard I like for people to see it stacked in measured amounts so they know exactly what there getting.

But to be fair, it just hasn’t rained much here in the past 3-4 years so drying time doesn’t take long.lol

Dennis

ok then it sounds like u only have 2 hours worth of work to get your 4 cords stacked...u should be able to find that time in any given week to stack the wood.

ok then it sounds like u only have 2 hours worth of work to get your 4 cords stacked...u should be able to find that time in any given week to stack the wood.

Ummmm...... not quite. I wish it were so simple.
Before I can stack I've got a few hours of splittin', loadin' and haulin' out'a the wood lot first.
And that-there Bur Oak don't split like Red Oak... it ain't so straight-grained.

241441d1339504989-juntspt1-jpg

241442d1339504999-juntspt2-jpg

241443d1339505010-juntspt3-jpg

Ummmm...... not quite. I wish it were so simple.
Before I can stack I've got a few hours of splittin', loadin' and haulin' out'a the wood lot first.
And that-there Bur Oak don't split like Red Oak... it ain't so straight-grained.

241441d1339504989-juntspt1-jpg

241442d1339504999-juntspt2-jpg

241443d1339505010-juntspt3-jpg

Good looking wood you got there! Must have been a fairly good sized tree!

Well? You're welcome to come to the GTG this fall and see for yourself!!
:big_smile:

Sounds like a fun time. Not sure where the GTG is, but google says 1,111 miles from me to Carthage... Don't have the time or the $$ to do it this year. Anyway, Thanx for the invite.

Back