Going to have an illegal BBQ Today!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
… The food tasted better on real wood, even better since i was possibly expressing my right of freedom to BBQ … Kinda pisses me off being we are getting treated like 6yr olds. They basically shut me down in my busy bundle wood season. (the way i put food on the table ,then tell me how to cook my food?) … the smoker and BBQ were on a concrete patio, the water spigot/with hose= 10 feet away.
As far as my wood lot i have a 200 gpm trash pump that will go into the river 30' away with 300' of hose. (there is also a fire hydrant in the corner on my land, the only one for miles around) …

Wow man, so you take the state burning ban personally? Yeah, they probably put that ban into effect while only thinking of you, and how they can make you miserable. C’mon!

Cripes man, they ain’t treating you like a 6-year-old… they put those bans in effect because there are a lot of adults with less commonsense than many 6-year-olds. By the way, rights and freedoms are two separate things, and government has the constitutional authority to temporarily to suspend certain freedoms in the interest of public safety and/or property protection. So really, all you did was spit on the Constitution, the very thing you (falsely) believe gave you the “right of freedom to BBQ” during a fire ban.

You ever seen a wild fire get started during extreme dry conditions? Ever noticed at night how sparks from a fire get carried straight up in the heat column… up maybe 50, 75, even 100 feet? If one of those sparks remains live it could come back to earth several hundred yards from your “concrete patio”. By the time you noticed the resulting fire, especially in conditions that dry, it’d be way too late for your silly little “spigot/with hose”... and by the time you got your “200 gpm trash pump” in action and on site it would like peeing into the ocean.

We were placed under a burn ban last fall, and we weren’t near as dry as you are. During harvest the heat from a combine exhaust ignited a 330 acre corn field just across the mile from me… and the whole damn 330 acres was totally engulfed in flames in less than five minutes!. The fire jumped the road before firefighters could get on the scene and destroyed a neighboring 200 acres of corn… the river finally held it back long enough for firefighters to get it under control. Only luck and the grace of god kept it from taking a barn, or worse yet, a home.

You wanna’ believe you have the “right of freedom to BBQ” over a wood fire during a burn ban... well fine, believe whatever you want. Personally, I believe you were acting like one of those 6-year-olds…

Ever worked on a fireline? Been around dead lodgepole burning? Had to inhale smoke for weeks?
Ever thought you might be trapped by a wildfire? Slept in ashes? Come home with black stuff still coming out of your nose and horking up a lung?

You might try to think about that before you start calling it stupid. Living in Colorado, I should think you would anticipate a fire ban and make plans in your business for it.

As far as a controlled burn getting out of hand, it happens. You wouldn't understand the pressure of it all.
It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't, high risk alternative to letting things burn come summer, or logging it, which will cause an uproar.

I've been on the other side. Woods are shut down when fire danger is high and when crews are committed to so many fires that there are too few left to send out.

Perhaps you'll understand this. Air tankers, fire crews, engines, etc. are not cheap. Yours and my tax dollars are paying for them. You choose to live in a state that has wildfires--deal with it. Plan for it.
Nope and Pondosa pine here,
GOD BLESS all the fire fighters that are there!
The plane that crashed a few years back was close to here!
Some of us have Brains,BBQ on concrete a hose hear by no trees close and water 100 Yards of lawn if any the last fire hydrant for miles is in my yard..
By GOD MY friend i have about 150 cords of dry wood 300 yards from my house!
I run the trash pump from the river prior for a cat muffler burn!
I is that DRY HERE to that that don't know.
I HAVE MORE TO LOOSE THAN ME HOUSE!,the way i make a livining and all the time i have into splitting cord wood is at stake here!
Some of us are CAREFUL!!
Sorry if you thought i am a lil' homeowner trying to have me a (Q)

You wanna’ believe you have the “right of freedom to BBQ” over a wood fire during a burn ban... well fine, believe whatever you want. Personally, I believe you were acting like one of those 6-year-olds…[/QUOTE]

Dang...tuff crowd....good point but holy buckets...time to bag it here and go fishing..,.the heat must be making folks a lil hot under the collar.

I have to deal with burn bans here too.... I have neither complied, nor cared.

I have always cooked over open fire down at the ranch, its about the only cooking I do.

I'm very cautious of course.

I have a few "piles" of dirt, a couple of pumps, a well head, a water tank way up there in the air, a few other water tanks, a loader, a license that says I am a professional firefighter that I don't use, and nothing I can't replace down at the ranch.

I am cautious.

To tell the common man they can't have a grill in the backyard is de-riculous.....

The Ranch is actually an Oak Hammock. I could burn a twenty yard debris pile and have it out before anyone saw smoke... But I don't. If its too dry to burn brush, I let it sit. When it rains, I can grapple it up and burn whatever I need too.

My favorite is having a fire while its raining.

Might have been 2010 when New Years Eve was ended early (conveniently) due to rain about 1 am. The rest of the family and friends decided they were all going home to sleep in their own beds.

I had the usual cooking fire apparatus set up, so I propped up a couple of pieces of concrete roof deck metal covering the fire and I drank myself to sleep, since I was free of people sitting duty. I got up around 530 am and added to the coals in the fire and steamed myself a bushel of Oysters.

I sat there half the day, ate, drank, cleaned up the recycling, burned the trash in a barrel, graded the driveway and camp area (motorcycling kids).

MLK day last year was good too. Sunday was nice, had a bunch of people show, but too many Oysters. I stayed overnight since I was off, and when my brother showed up at 8 am, I had the fire going again, we had a bunch of brush from takedowns all weekend, so when it started to rain a nice even drizzling constant rain it wasn't hard to section out some coals and we steamed all day in between dropping one yard grapples of condensed brush on the fire.

Really? No grilling? They must be joking.

I am not going to weigh in on either side on this discussion. But I do strongly agree with CrappieK that some of the posters in this thread have their panties bunched just a little to much!

Hardly. I'm not a dude either. Just pointing out the Other Side.

I get it, the whole tree painted blue, SlowP, but maybe the poster is a shut-in that never gets out to the other forums? I aint sayin you gotta showcase the Barbie Saw, but he didn't know....

Like my Avatar, I could prolly post a pic of me blazin the back roads on my 83 IronHead Sporty or the one carrying 250+# Sow on my shoulders all Rambo-like with the Boar kinda following me (coitus interuptus), but would anyone be able to put Surfer-Redneck-Biker together with just one photo?

I am not going to weigh in on either side on this discussion. But I do strongly agree with CrappieK that some of the posters in this thread have their panties bunched just a little to much!

Maybe. But the people who "have their panties bunched" have seen first hand the affects of a wildfire that started from somebody's foolishness. They've fought those fires and they know exactly how bad a wildfire can be.

Burn bans are in place for a reason.

Maybe. But the people who "have their panties bunched" have seen first hand the affects of a wildfire that started from somebody's foolishness. They've fought those fires and they know exactly how bad a wildfire can be.

Yup. Growing up in the arid parts of Montana, we had a 30-year drought that actually ended recently. We always had burn bans, certain kinds of fireworks were banned, and sometimes we weren't allowed to water our gardens or lawns. Yes, it's uncomfortable and annoying, but you go with the flow and wait for better times, and don't buck the system. Some of you need to realize that the world does not revolve around you.

Against my better judgement I will weigh in now thanks to this post. Here is my take on this subject. I am not saying what he is doing is good, bad or indifferent, I have enough to worry about in my life without having to worry if my neighbor is grilling burgers! What bothers me is that most of the people that are so indignant about this abuse of the burn ban are the same people that will rear end me in their car while speeding and texting the old lady that they just crossed the north bridge and seen a very pretty squirrel. I'm dead, and yes in Iowa you are breaking the law on both counts. I would hard pressed to say that there is no one on this board that at one time or another break or bend a law of some sort that put other people at risk. How about all of the drinking comments that come across in some of these threads. Do you really believe that none of these people drink and drive. Of coarse they do and when they cross the center line and kill my wife, son and I I'm dead and yes you broke the law in Iowa. So all of you do gooders posting that this guy will go to hell for his offense just remember people that live in glass houses should not throw stones. And finally for the record the only telephone that I own is on my wall in my house. They have their place but in most peoples lives today the control it. Not my cup of tea.

Yeah, you're right... that was probably a bit strong.
It must be the heat... and mechanical breakdowns.

No, I think it was just about perfectly stated. Please don't back down just because someone doesn't care for your opinion.

A burn ban is a BAN, done for public safety. Even if the OP was confidant that he was not going to start a fire, that doesn't empower him to break the laws.

I'm a MUCH better driver than average, and my car has excellent handling, and I have NEVER caused a car wreck. Does that mean I can do 70mph in a 55 Zone on the interstate? :msp_sneaky:
..............................................................................................................................................

I hope you see my point. Civil disobedience is for protesting unfair laws, not good ones properly enforced that you just don't happen to like very much.

We have a State wide fire ban!(as of this week).
My Bundle wood sales went from about $400 a week to not even 1 Bundle this weekend.
In this county you can't camp and cook with even propane ,PB @ J samiches i guess!
I guess it is legal to BBQ with propane @ home but that ain't BBQ!,and i don't own one of those propane (wish i wuz a BBQ) things.
So i am going to fire up for my family a wood fired BBQ and smoker all the fixins on my concrete patio anyways!
PISS ON EM!
I will be eating brisket pulled pork and rib eyes prior to getting put in handcuffs.
1 fire was by a camper knocking over a stove, another from the state on a prescribed burn,lightning on this new one.
I hope all have a good Fathers day!

Keep your eyes peeled for a drone strike.

Against my better judgement I will weigh in now thanks to this post. Here is my take on this subject. I am not saying what he is doing is good, bad or indifferent, I have enough to worry about in my life without having to worry if my neighbor is grilling burgers! What bothers me is that most of the people that are so indignant about this abuse of the burn ban are the same people that will rear end me in their car while speeding and texting the old lady that they just crossed the north bridge and seen a very pretty squirrel. I'm dead, and yes in Iowa you are breaking the law on both counts. I would hard pressed to say that there is no one on this board that at one time or another break or bend a law of some sort that put other people at risk. How about all of the drinking comments that come across in some of these threads. Do you really believe that none of these people drink and drive. Of coarse they do and when they cross the center line and kill my wife, son and I I'm dead and yes you broke the law in Iowa. So all of you do gooders posting that this guy will go to hell for his offense just remember people that live in glass houses should not throw stones. And finally for the record the only telephone that I own is on my wall in my house. They have their place but in most peoples lives today the control it. Not my cup of tea.

Naahhh, you're safe. I don't text while I'm driving and I never drive in Iowa. Nobody I know drives in Iowa. Not voluntarily, anyway.

I am nominating your post for the "Weirdest Analogy Of The Day Award", though. :rolleyes:

Naahhh, you're safe. I don't text while I'm driving and I never drive in Iowa. Nobody I know drives in Iowa. Not voluntarily, anyway.

I am nominating your post for the "Weirdest Analogy Of The Day Award", though. :rolleyes:

Not my fault you are a little slow. Is the award a cash prize?

I don't drink and drive, I don't know or care how to text, and squirrels are nothing new. Nor was it ever said that the OP will go to hell. Me thinks this thing is getting blown out of proportion. I did not know that it was easy to hurt feelings in this forum.

It seemed as though everybody was pretty flippant about a burn ban. Nobody was mentioning the REASON behind the burn ban....lots of fires going, things being dry, etc. It wasn't just the gubmint trying to make the independent citizens follow a stupid rule.

If you want to get into absurd fire regulations, think about why logging operations get shut down or restricted when they have to have fire trucks or trailers, fire fighting equipment, and often have a dozer on the site. Meanwhile, Joe Blow and family are allowed to have campfires in the woods. We know nothing about Joe Blow. Does he have the slightest idea of how to properly extinguish his campfire? Will he let it burn while he's off fishing? Does he even care if the woods burn down cuz he's already been there and won't be returning?

Do you have any idea how many campers think that throwing a bit of dirt on a fire is good enough and then they leave? We come by and it is smoking and smoldering and there are east winds blowing? East winds are dry and our area has had the biggest fires when they are blowing...humongus fires.

OK, nuff said. That's more from The Other Side of the fire restrictions.

I have to deal with burn bans here too.... I have neither complied, nor cared.

I have always cooked over open fire down at the ranch, its about the only cooking I do.

I'm very cautious of course.

I have a few "piles" of dirt, a couple of pumps, a well head, a water tank way up there in the air, a few other water tanks, a loader, a license that says I am a professional firefighter that I don't use, and nothing I can't replace down at the ranch.

I am cautious.

To tell the common man they can't have a grill in the backyard is de-riculous.....

The Ranch is actually an Oak Hammock. I could burn a twenty yard debris pile and have it out before anyone saw smoke... But I don't. If its too dry to burn brush, I let it sit. When it rains, I can grapple it up and burn whatever I need too.

My favorite is having a fire while its raining.

Might have been 2010 when New Years Eve was ended early (conveniently) due to rain about 1 am. The rest of the family and friends decided they were all going home to sleep in their own beds.

I had the usual cooking fire apparatus set up, so I propped up a couple of pieces of concrete roof deck metal covering the fire and I drank myself to sleep, since I was free of people sitting duty. I got up around 530 am and added to the coals in the fire and steamed myself a bushel of Oysters.

I sat there half the day, ate, drank, cleaned up the recycling, burned the trash in a barrel, graded the driveway and camp area (motorcycling kids).

MLK day last year was good too. Sunday was nice, had a bunch of people show, but too many Oysters. I stayed overnight since I was off, and when my brother showed up at 8 am, I had the fire going again, we had a bunch of brush from takedowns all weekend, so when it started to rain a nice even drizzling constant rain it wasn't hard to section out some coals and we steamed all day in between dropping one yard grapples of condensed brush on the fire.

Really? No grilling? They must be joking.

Why is that your favorite ?

...Please don't back down just because someone doesn't care for your opinion...

Oh hell, I ain't backing down... anybody that's read my various posts should realize I ain't gonna' back down because someone doesn't care for my pinion. I was just admitting that the last line in that post was probably a bit strong, especially since I wasn't even there or ever seen his set-up.

But, I take burn bans deadly serious. I've witnessed first hand, on more than one occasion, how fast a fire can become uncontrollable... it's damn scary, and the devastation it leaves in its wake is horrible.

Was looking up the Colorado law on this, which ends up depending on county ordinances to spell out what exactly is proscribed during various burn bans.

So without knowing the original posters county, it can't be said if what he did was actually in violation of the law. At least one of the county websites in the summary stated only propane fired grilles as allowed in Stage II burn bans; but the actual text of the ordinance allowed wood fired appliances at private residences, such as Douglas County:

Section 7. Exceptions.
b. Gas Grills. Fires contained within liquid fueled or gas-fueled stoves, fireplaces within buildings, and fires in wood burning stoves.

Yes boys and girls, they defined a "Gas Grill" as a liquid or gas fueled stove, OR a fireplace within a building, OR a wood burning stove (without the "within buildings" restriction that fireplaces have). Since they use the term "stove" in conjunction with liquid or gas fueled and within the definition of "grills", the consistent interpretation of the law would indicate they use the term stove interchangeably with grill.

But the part I love that appeared in more then one county's ordinance is this gem that only a someone who had a dual major in Theoretical Physics and Law could love:

Outdoor smoking except within an enclosed vehicle or building

Who do they hire for municipal attorneys in Colorado? Folks who got fired for incompetence when they tried to be a Texas public defender? Seriously, how -- without invoking quantum mechanics -- can an object be simultaneously within a building and outdoors? (Never mind the ambiguity of whether it reads "an enclosed [vehicle or building]" or "an [enclosed vehicle] or building" ... would "Smoking except when enclosed within a vehicle or building" be too difficult to write?)

Back