Wood burning tool invention

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Demonstrate your tool on you tube.

I uploaded the video on You Tube and tried to post the link here but my post won't show up. My You Tube user name is jasonbosaw and I think you may be able to find it that way.

Let me know if you can check it out.

Oh, and my target price cannot be established yet because there are too many unknowns right now. All in all, I would like to price them as low as possible while still making decent profit.

The demos I had made up cost me over $40 each to make because I had R&D, a design change and a bunch of upfront costs associated with manufacturing, legal fees and so on. Once I get the set up right and able to run a batch of 100 to 500, I'm hoping I can sell a tool set for $35 - $50 or less and still make money.

I may have to go to a larger manufacturer to get costs down and I am still weighing my options with regards to manufacturing. The last thing I want to do is go to China, but Made in U.S.A. costs a pretty penny.

I watched the vid.

2 immediate impressions...

1) it is as big as I thought, a bit smaller would make it more manageable
2) I wouldn't use it is demo'd... I'd scoop all contents to one side, use coal rake alone, deposit coals, and go dig for more. Scoop out all the ash at the end. Essentially, I'd use your combo tools as 2 separate tools.

Lastly, it does look messy.

Your price point of $35-$50 is a good place to be.

Cute kid too.

With regards to size, the smaller you make it, the less capacity. The larger you make it, the bigger and heavier it is, but less scoops. It's a trade off either way. This one is 6"Wx8"Lx3"D. The handle is 21.5" long. The weight is less than an 18V DeWalt XRP Drill so it's not that hard to manage. I hope to find out from the people using the demos to get more feedback on whether this is a concern or not. It's tough to get all the information I need before the heat season, when no one will use the demos until the heat season.

I am aware the tool can be used together as a set or separately as you mentioned. I may need to market it the way you mentioned instead of the way I've demo'd it. I think you've got a good point. It will ultimately be the user's preference on how they use it but I think it's more simple the way you would use it. Simple is most always better.

Cleaning out any stove is messy. But one thing I like about this tool, is that it cleans out only what I want cleaned out and doesn't really make much more of a mess than a regular shovel. It's all about how the ashes are handled.

The following pics show the step by step process.

Here is before: View attachment 242211
Here is after all matter is scraped to one side: View attachment 242214
Here are the coals being separated: View attachment 242216
and here is the after pic: View attachment 242217

Kinda like I mentioned previously I think your target might be shop guys where a little mess isn't an issue.

put a mesh screen on the end of the shop vac hose...suck out the ash....leave the chunks....ya...what about live coals????

I do like an ash pan...if it were me and I had to shovel ash I'd not be sitting there filtering it all..get in...get out ...move on to other stuff.

After viewing the vid, I see no real value in the idea. It looks like a lot of work for just a few coals and I see an opportunity for the stray hot coal to get lose on the floor.
I can just use the shovel I have to rake the coals over to one side and scoop out the ashes.
I’m sure there will be some that like it, but again I would never use it.

Good thought, just not practical.
Dennis

just make a screen to fit a pail....dump ashes on the screen...ashes fall through & the chunks stay ontop..pull screen and dump into stove.

Here's my version. I bought it from a local blacksmith.

The screen is attached at the back of the shovel, and pivots over it, covering even the front of the shovel. I find it easier to use a second shovel and scoop ash/coals over the top of this, dump off the coals, and then dump the ash. Work pretty well, and I have not seen anything like it in real production.

Sent from my cell phone.

Last edited:
Work pretty well, and I have not seen anything like it in real production.

I haven't seen anything like yours or mine in real production either. I hope to change that. I know to some it's not practical to them, but the fact that something similar exists proves there are others that do think they are practical.

I can assume the people who think it's practical may buy it and others that don't think it's practical won't. But back to the main point, getting something like this in production. I think my biggest obstacle is finding someone who can make them and still leave a little meat on the bone to make a little profit while selling them retail.

The first metal working shop quoted $115 to make each one. For obvious reasons, that just wasn't going to work. I found a bigger shop that could make them for a lot cheaper but could only offer me the best prices on large quantities, which I totally understand.

But before I become contractually interested in a manufacturer, I am still shopping. I hope to find people who can make them for less. I've been entertaining offers of slight design changes and different methods of manufacturing to save on costs.

If any of you can make or know of people who can make this tool, I would be happy to see a quote for a production run.

As for now, thanks for all the input. It continues to be helpful.

I really don't understand all the pessimism here :dizzy: I know he said he said good or bad, but I don't care what the negatives are it's always good to show support to our AS family. One day if it takes off he could end up a sponsor, which will keep the site going. I wish you all the best man, and I hope you make millions. :msp_wink:

I really don't understand all the pessimism here :dizzy: I know he said he said good or bad, but I don't care what the negatives are it's always good to show support to our AS family. One day if it takes off he could end up a sponsor, which will keep the site going. I wish you all the best man, and I hope you make millions. :msp_wink:

He’s doing research so he wanted honesty, not sunshine up the backside.

I hope he does well with it, but it's a nitch market at best.

Dennis

He’s doing research so he wanted honesty, not sunshine up the backside.

I hope he does well with it, but it's a nitch market at best.

Dennis

Exactly...there is a market,however I would not build 5 thousand to start.

It'll cost twice to make here in states as it would in China. Found that out with my jigs. That caused stores to back out...too used to buying junk for super cheap.Try to sell quality...most bait shops are only interested in profit margins....
forget about deadliness or durability.

So if you can make it for less and sell for less then that will help a lot when a guys says to himself...will this product make my life easier...he may be willing to take that chance.

It is easier to get 3 nickles than 1 dime.

Last edited:
I get the idea - I have an old wooden tool in the barn that is a wooden frame with a handle and a wire screen over the bottom. But I've never used it. I don't take the coals out, I rake them to the back or side with a poker and shovel the ash out. The few coals that come out are small.

Now eventually I will use the ash to make soap, and then I'll pour them into a barrel with a mesh screen on the top to filter out the chunks and coals. But that's for another day....

I burn in an OWB so mess is no issue, and I pull out more coals than I would like so I am intrigued by the idea. If it were priced in the $35-40 range I would probably not be able resist buying one to try.

Back