Going to have an illegal BBQ Today!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to have pissed many of you off!
On my charcoal/wood BBQ i can totally shut all air input if there is any flare up from grease.
I have tried the propane grill thing and have seen those lava rocks and or tray collect grease and flare up. It seems there is no air shut off for one of them.
So why allow any type of outdoor for anyone BBQ to begin with?
Basically I am not a pyromaniac but BBQ is a fave of mine.
As much as i tried with my charcoal/wood BBQ i just still can't get the food to taste like propane!
My grill is on a concrete pad/house is sided with Hardy board (concrete),roof is steel.
SOME OF US ARE CAREFUL in what we do and how we Q.

Actually, gas and charcoal fired Bar-B-Q grills/smokers/cookers are exempt from the "Open Burning Bans" in Iowa (unless specifically included through some sort of addendum). And wood fired cooking appliances are allowed if the fire is enclosed (such as a smoker or cooker with a secondary enclosed firebox). You cannot "openly" burn wood or anything else... in other words, no open flame (sparks). You can even burn your trash if you have an enclosed type incinerator (a common homemade one is an old fuel oil tank with a door, adjustable combustion air intake, and a chimney pipe, sort'a like a big azz wood stove).

It's getting really dry here and I expect to start seeing a few county "open burn bans" going into effect if we don't get some significant rain soon. I'm pretty sure if it was fall and the fields were full of dry crops we'd already have them in effect. Those dry crop fields are like miles and miles of bone-dry, crumpled-up tissue paper waiting for a match... WHOOSH!

Why is that your favorite ?

Don't get me wrong, I love my family, even like seven of my nine ex-brothers in law, occasionally a friend of someones shows up that can't handle his liquor, and it irritates me to the point I really can't enjoy myself.

Rain is good. Very Peaceful, relaxing. Even get to watch the wildlife in a different way when its raining.

And usually, no one else is hanging around, when it rains.

Don't get me wrong, I love my family, even like seven of my nine ex-brothers in law, occasionally a friend of someones shows up that can't handle his liquor, and it irritates me to the point I really can't enjoy myself.

Rain is good. Very Peaceful, relaxing. Even get to watch the wildlife in a different way when its raining.

And usually, no one else is hanging around, when it rains.

Rain is a good thing :) Rain makes the grass grow so I have a living :)

You are right on. Most of the time, they do what one wants them to do. But there is a chance of the controlled burn going out of control. You have to have the right weather, the right fuel humidity, and the right people doing the work. But if the weather changes, or some idiot starts lighting too quickly, you the have an uncontrolled burn.

The people in charge have been budgeted to burn a certain amount of acreage. If they don't meet that amount, they get hammered and the next year their budget won't be so big. It is not a job for nervous people.

It is risky. Even more so with folks living in the midst of the woods or brush, and what is called the burning window is smaller now. One now has to consider air quality. If the wind will blow the smoke to a city, or if there is stagnent air, or even if there is a holiday, you can't burn.

I'd hate to be the one in charge of fuels reduction now.

My experience? I lit, held line, and did the usual grunt work on controlled burns. We timber folks were expected to help. We also were expected to go on fire crew assignments.

It's easy to armchair quarterback. Everybody is an expert when it comes to forest management---except the foresters.

I am an armchair quarterback but the results speak for themselves so it does beg the question, why even attempt a "controlled burn" under such dry conditions. The need to spend all budgetted money is really not a good reason.

Sorry to have pissed many of you off!...

I didn't get PO'ed, and I really don't invest too many emotions when folks decide to break the laws in areas that do not affect me personally. Myself, I am quite the rule breaker, and I have often been caught speeding, or worse. I routinely ignore environmental "RED" days, when we are somehow supposed to reduce our fuel consumption and not work outside, so I guess I have my own version of the same civil disobedience.

So long as you are ready to suffer the consequences of burning up your county, far be it from me to tell you not to BBQ.

Naahhh, you're safe. I don't text while I'm driving and I never drive in Iowa. Nobody I know drives in Iowa. Not voluntarily, anyway.

I am nominating your post for the "Weirdest Analogy Of The Day Award", though. :rolleyes:

BAhahahahahahahahahaaa!

Heck, there ain't no trick to driving in Iowa...
Ya' just gotta' learn to stay on the main roads...

Like these here main roads...

attachment.php

I just love you law abiding folks. Makes me feel so bad. I feel awful now. I gotta go take pop pop fizz fizz and settle down.

I am an armchair quarterback but the results speak for themselves so it does beg the question, why even attempt a "controlled burn" under such dry conditions. The need to spend all budgetted money is really not a good reason.

Conditions may not have been so dry when the burn was started. Or the area was burned and was reignited by the weather. Burning is a risky way to reduce fire danger. We all know that weather can rapidly change. When you are dealing with nature, you take risks. Planned burns try to reduce the risks.

You don't see news reports on successful controlled burning.

On the budget, it isn't just spending all the money. Let me explain.

If you want to reduce the fuel buildup, controlled burning is the only solution for many areas.

Crews don't work for free.

You must plan the burn in advance, and get the money to pay the workers, use equipment, etc. Diesel isn't free either.

Congress is the ultimate decider of budget allotment.

If the acres planned for are not burned, Congress will cut the budget for next year because the work was not completed. So the next year, less ground gets treated.

When less dollars are available, less fuels get treated, and more are apt to burn up as a wild fire, which actually costs a heck of a lot more than a controlled burn.

I guess you need to decide for yourself, what is better for you. If you live back east somewhere, you probably don't care. If you live in a development in the midst of a piney woodsy area in Central Oregon, you darn sure should care.

It is a pay me now or really pay me later type of deal.

Hope this is a better explanation.

I'll insert these so it will be a friendlier post.:msp_smile::msp_smile::msp_smile:

Last edited:
I really don't think the folks on here needs preaching too. We've all been around the block a time or two. Every site I've ever on always has one. You've appointed yourself the one here. I left a chicken site for the same thing. Everytime anything came up about killing a hawk, the pita nuts started up and never failed to lecture. You would think nobody knew the law but them. The really strange thing is it's every time a female. Why not the other way around?

I really don't think the folks on here needs preaching too. We've all been around the block a time or two. Every site I've ever on always has one. You've appointed yourself the one here. I left a chicken site for the same thing. Everytime anything came up about killing a hawk, the pita nuts started up and never failed to lecture. You would think nobody knew the law but them. The really strange thing is it's every time a female. Why not the other way around?

Believe me, it IS the other way around. Most of the time! :ices_rofl:

Man Spidey, you got some nice roads down there. Must be all those corn tax dollars at work!

Seriously, I'd prefer one of them to the well paved racetrack of a township road that runs past my house. At least once a week some fool comes over the hill in front of the house at over 100, one day they'll meet a piece of machinery on the other side of the hill and there'll be a heck of a mess to scrape up. Hope I ain't home when it happens (or in the tractor).

Well now I see where all of my gas tax money is going. They are keeping your roads in tip top shape compared to north central Iowa!

Need more gravel

Seems like my county has an endless supply of 3/4 limestone this year. Then the grader goes by and scrapes it all off :confused: Maybe we can send some over to NE IA. No rainy season this year so the roads can't be that bad spider. Another thread derail :jester:

Brian

you guys should all just pack up and move to the uk, does nothing but rain here, can't burn even if you wanted to!! :blob2:

Pish. Where there's a will, there's a way.

I, for one, love the smell of Napalm in the morning.

Talk about roads.....
We are flooding..
Aitkin County Roads affected by Flooding 6:30 pm June 22, 2012

Due to recent heavy rainfall, the following County Roads in Aitkin County are closed due to wash-outs or high water until further notice.

Closures due to washed-out roadbeds/culverts

1. County Road 3 (old State Highway 232) near the State Highway 65 intersection, located north of McGregor

2. County Road 6 approximately 3 miles east of State Highway 65 located north of McGregor – opened as of 5:00 pm 6-21-12
3. County Road 12 approximately 1 mile south of the State Highway 47 intersection, located south of Aitkin – opened as of 10:30 am 6-21-12
4. County Road 12 approximately 2 miles west of the State Highway 47 intersection in Glen
5. County Road 13 in multiple areas approximately 0.5-2 miles east of State Highway 65 located south of McGregor
6. County Road 19 in multiple areas approximately 2 miles west of County Road 29 located west of Swatara – opened as of 7:00 pm 6-20-12
7. County Road 30 in multiple areas approximately 3-3.5 miles west of State Highway 65 located south of McGregor
8. County Road 36 approximately 3 miles northwest of County Road 14 located north of McGregor
Closures due to high water on the road

1. County Road 5 approximately 5 miles north of County Road 3 located north of Palisade
2. County Road 10 from US Hwy 169 to 1 mile north
3. County Road 30 approximately 5 miles west of State Highway 65
4. County Road 34 approximately 3 miles north of County Road 2 located north of Arthyde
5. County Road 54 approximately 1 mile north of State Highway 210 located north of Aitkin
6. County Road 64 approximately 3 miles west of County Road 14 located north of McGregor
7. County Road 67 at County Road 20 located west of Hill City

In addition, numerous additional road segments contain areas that are under water or have water on the shoulders. Items with strikethrough line indicate segments where the water has receded and is no longer on the road surface

1. County Road 1 from County Road 22 to County Road 3
2. County Road 3 at the US Hwy 169 intersection
3. County Road 5 from County Road 53 to State Highway 210
4. County Road 10 from US Hwy 169 to County Road 3
5. County Road 13 from State Highway 65 to County Road 16
6. County Road 16 from County Road 13 to State Highway 210
7. County Road 18 from US Hwy 169 to County Road 10
8. County Road 19 from County Road 29 to the Cass County Line
9. County Road 20 from County Road 19 to the Cass County Line
10. County Road 21 from County Road 1 to US Hwy 169
11. County Road 27 from County Road 13 to State Highway 27
12. County Road 29 from County Road 3 to State Highway 210
13. County Road 32 from County Road 6 to County Road 31
14. County Road 36 from State Highway 65 to County Road 14
15. County Road 53 from County Road 4 to County Road 5
16. County Road 54 from County Road 1 to US Hwy 169
17. County Road 56 from US Hwy 169 to County Road 5
18. County Road 57 from State Highway 65 to State Highway 27
19. County Road 62 from State Highway 210 to County Road 3
20. County Road 64 from County Road 14 to County Road 32
21. County Road 65 from State Highway 65 to County Road 36
22. County Road 67 from County Road 20 to County Road 29
23. County Road 68 from County Road 29 to US Hwy 169
24. County Road 73 from State Highway 210 to County Road 6
25. County Road 74 west of US Hwy 169 located west of Hill City
26. County Road 75 from State Highway 210 to the Pine County line

FLOOD STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DULUTH MN
1117 AM CDT FRI JUN 22 2012

...THE FLOOD WARNING CONTINUES FOR THE FOLLOWING RIVERS IN
MINNESOTA..
MISSISSIPPI RIVER NEAR AITKIN AFFECTING AITKIN COUNTY
MISSISSIPPI RIVER NEAR BRAINERD AFFECTING CROW WING COUNTY
MISSISSIPPI RIVER NEAR FORT RIPLEY AFFECTING MORRISON AND CROW
WING COUNTIES

.MODERATE AND MAJOR FLOODING IS OCCURRING OR STILL EXPECTED ALONG
STRETCHES OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER IN NORTH CENTRAL MINNESOTA DUE
TO THE HEAVY RAINS OF 3 TO 10 INCHES THAT FELL OVER NORTHERN
MINNESOTA TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY. THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER AT AITKIN
IS FORECASTED TO REACH A CREST SOMEWHERE BETWEEN 19.5 AND 20.5
FEET EARLY NEXT WEEK...WHICH WOULD BE ONLY A COUPLE FEET SHY OF
THE 22.49 FEET RECORD SET IN 1950. THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER AT FORT
RIPLEY IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE A GRADUAL RISE TO A LITTLE OVER 13
FEET ON TUESDAY...AND THEN GRADUALLY LOWER INTO LATE NEXT WEEK.

12 foot is flood stage folks.....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back