Husky 345 into a 346xp???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northwoods18

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i am considering buying a husky 345 (which i am told is about the same saw as the 350) it has low compression....and i was wondering if a 346ne P&C would fit on it??

The engines are made different.

The 345 is a clamshell design whereas the cylinder and the top half of the crankcase are common.

The bottom half of the crankcase is plastic.

There is an adapter on the 350 that has the top half of the crankcase as an individual piece with a seperate cylinder.

Some of the Chinese replacement cylinder kits include this adapter.

The 345 is a clamshell design whereas the cylinder and the top half of the crankcase are common.

There is an adapter on the 350 that has the top half of the crankcase as an individual piece with a seperate cylinder.

This doesn't sound right at all, the 345 is the same line and a 346xp top end should fit on it, AFAIK.

The 345 is NOT a clamshell.

nmurph, can you confirm whether the 346xp top end would fit on the 345 ? Seems the older one with the smaller diameter (42mm vs 45mm ???) would work. IOW, the 346 OE.

Wyatt is correct. The 345 has the top half of the crankcase made into the bottom of the cylinder. The 350 has a pro-design cylinder and a plate made to provide the top half of the crankcase. There are kits made to convert the 345/350's into 346's. You just need to be careful of the quality. I would just sell the 345 and buy a 346!

Last edited:
Wyatt is correct. The 345 has the top half of the crankcase made into the bottom of the cylinder. The 350 has a pro-design cylinder and a plate made to provide the top half of the crankcase. There are kits made to convert the 345/350's into 346's. You just need to be careful of the quality. I would just sell the 345 and buy a 346!

That's good to know. I've used a 345 to do a fair bit of work in the past and it worked fine, I didn't think it was a clamshell model. Maybe that is not the case and it is a clamshell? None of the other saws in that line are a clamshell though, AFAIK, but not completely sure as I don't own a 345.

340 and 345 are both clamshell design. The 350 has the spacer/adapter that murph mentioned. The 351, 353, and 346XP are tradition pro design.

Yes, but avoid the China made kits anyway! ;)

No, not the 350 - and not really the 340 and 345 either, as there isn't a metal shell under the crank......:msp_sneaky:

Close enough ;) you get the idea vs. a split case pro saw its preeeeety much a clamshell. With the 350 somewhat resembling a regular p/c setup.

Close enough ;) you get the idea vs. a split case pro saw its preeeeety much a clamshell. With the 350 somewhat resembling a regular p/c setup.

Surely, but stating they are clamshells will never be correct, even though the top ends of the 340 and 345 are designed like a clamshell one. ;)

Geez, you guys are getting nit-picky.

I call them clamshells because the top half of the crankcase is part of the cylinder casting. I don't think it matters whether or not the bottom half is metal, plastic, or Hershey's chocolate.

If the OP is still interested in the project, it's really not that hard to do. The "bearing cup" that you need from the 350 to make it work is #537324001, and it lists for $20. You will also need 4 bolts, # 503200527 to bolt it in from the bottom. You cannot use the bolts that came out of the 345 as they are too long and will interfere with the cylinder bolts coming down from the top. There are some other "350 to 346" threads in which you can find other alterations that need to be done.

Is this a good idea money wise? Kind of depends on how good the aftermarket 346 top ends are. OEM top ends are about $200, so you'd be approaching 1/2 the price of new if you went that route.

I've done a couple of these conversions with scrounged parts. Cleaning up a used OEM jug and throwing in an aftermarket piston is a real cheap route to get a 346.

Geez, you guys are getting nit-picky.

Surely! :biggrinbounce2:

Is this a good idea money wise? Kind of depends on how good the aftermarket 346 top ends are. OEM top ends are about $200, so you'd be approaching 1/2 the price of new if you went that route.

I've done a couple of these conversions with scrounged parts. Cleaning up a used OEM jug and throwing in an aftermarket piston is a real cheap route to get a 346.

:agree2: , except it won't become a 346......

Latest posts

Back