Log Float

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John, nice sled you got there -some creative thinking. Also nice Traxter - a real work horse atv. I am sure that pulling from the butt end you'll be able to drag a nice size log. As you said, you need a longer chain. Using the slip hook on the log would be more dependable and speed things up - you could weld a bar across the hole of the float that would let the grab hook pass through but not the larger slip hook, then you could just unhook the slip hook from the log and drive off with the float without having to wrestle chain from around the log. Thanks for posting this. Ron

Looks like it does it's intended job nicely, but I never understood the concept of dragging (firewood) logs through dirt/ mud. If that's the only feasible way to get the wood out of the woods, then OK, but I try to get as much life out of my saw chains as possible... Bucking dirt-encrusted logs KILLS chains, at least where I live.

Yep! rwood is right pull, the butt end first so all them little branches don't get caught in the dirt. Kind'a reminds me of our old stone boats. Looks like it works good. I'm not one for pulling logs in the dirt. I like to split and load the trailer in the woods but sometimes pulling is a must. You got one tough machine there. Good Job!!

thanks for the comments guys.
I always pull from the butt end, that log was just one that was just laying there, used it for a test. And i drop and buck whenever i can, just that sometimes the only way out is to skid the tree to the closest trail....
take care EH..

Drop, Buck, Load, Take Out....Rare Skid

Right about harvesting firewood: buck in place, then take it out. Skidding or dragging only on snow or frozen ground for our firewood or pulp ( 4' logs ) for saving chains and bars.

Besides, when I tried leaving timber in place for later bucking or removing, the C.R.S. malady kicked in---I forgot where I dropped them. :(

P.S. Use a Ford 250 hood for a "device" skid like yours...eh.

Last edited:
Impressive little rig there, just big enough to fit through tight trails, and keep the butt out of the dirt. Good work and video !!!

Latest posts

Back