Yep, hard at work...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zogger

Tree Freak
Reaction score
Yep (snapping suspenders clomping around in boots), yep, I be's hard at work...seasoning wood!

It's a rough job, I tell yas, but someone has to do it!

Freeking 97, real low humidity, strong gusty winds...you can watch the wood cracking.

I'm waiting for it to allegedly cool off near sundown to split some more. I don't think it will cool down much though, and no firepit action tonight! Starting to hit summer drought a little early this year....

..but that dang wood is sure drying out good!

Anyone else "hard at work"? hehehehehe

Just made the rounds for my nightly woodpile inspection, I must be a firewood geek. Internet weather has a wildfire warning in effect for this area (no recent rain to speak of & low humidity), so I guess next year's wood is progressing nicely.

We're lookin' at temps in the high 90's for Wednesday and Thursday, but high humidity with it... heat indexes well into the 100's. It's gonna' be a bit more than this here Yankee can take; Too damn hot this early in the year, this far north. We've been dry and windy (oh yeah the wood has been seasoning) but finally picked-up a bit over an inch of rain in the last 5 days or so... enough so the crops are good for a couple weeks anyway. Looks like it's shapin' up to be a long, hot, dry summer.

yeah...wood's seasoning, but I'm also still swingin' the fiskars

not as hot as yesterday (107F), but hot enough to soak through everything

Got my token another 1/8th of a cord or better done. Stopped swinging at 9:32. Shoot, just getting cool then, too. It's right now down to a chillin' 90 even.

Amazing, inside not swinging the fiskars it feels much cooler, but just checked the wall thermometer and it is 88 in here now.

I keep the windows fans off until night time like now, cool the house down at night, then during the day once it gets above 75 or so outside and the sun is up, shut the fans off. And it works! Always feels cooler in the house.

Was 96* and humid 4 days ago....tonite I wore a fleece because it was so damned damp...rained off and on all day, thundering every so often right now with 2 minute bursts of torrential rain..

I check my piles out every day it don't rain too...The oak is checking in good order, and the tape says I have 7 cord stacked...

So dam hot here i quit wearing my under bitties:cool2: dont look

I quit wearin' 'em so long ago I don't even have the garage rags left...I'd switch to a kilt if it weren't for the poison ivy :msp_scared:

I quit wearin' 'em so long ago I don't even have the garage rags left...I'd switch to a kilt if it weren't for the poison ivy :msp_scared:

And meanwhile over here in the PNW we are bracing for another wet front coming tonight. Already got an armful of spruce and uglies by te stove. Hi tomorrow predicted mid 50s and heavy rain.

Stats tonight showed us double normal moisture for the month and almost 4" over normal thus far into the year (normal for year here is 16" and change).

Harry K

Watching wood dry has become a hobby of mine. It's actually kind of amazing to see well checked wood swell shut after a rain, only to open back up in a day or two. In my opinion, a walk of the stacks at least weekly with a cold beverage in hand is mandatory.

FWIW, I'm much more willing to work in the (relative) heat this year. 80° doesn't feel as hot as I remember it. This has a lot to do with being a cheap SOB and not having put the AC in the window yet. I'll hold off till the basement refuge gets too warm to sleep comfortably. Acclimation - it's a good thing.

Looks like about 2 more days of roofing and then I'll need to get me and the guys something else to do for about a week. Putting on rubber roofing in 92+ degree weather is unproductive at best.

FWIW, I'm much more willing to work in the (relative) heat this year. 80° doesn't feel as hot as I remember it.

80[sup]o[/sup] is pretty much where I draw the line on working firewood; I'll work in the morning but when the thermometer climbs to 80[sup]o[/sup] I put the firewood tools and equipment away for the day. I may extend that a bit if humidity is low, there's a nice breeze and I can work out'a the sun... but I won't extend it by much.

Man I wish I had all my firewood split and stacked. The original plan for this year was to have it all done a week ago... but... crap happens and I'm way, way behind. Last year I set the last split on June 30[sup]th[/sup]; this year I ain't so sure I'll have it done by July 30[sup]th[/sup]... sucks.
And now it appears the summer heat has set-in early...

Looks like about 2 more days of roofing and then I'll need to get me and the guys something else to do for about a week. Putting on rubber roofing in 92+ degree weather is unproductive at best.

92[sup]o[/sup]?!? L-O-L
72[sup]o[/sup] is more like my cut-off for roof work (whenever possible that is).

And meanwhile over here in the PNW we are bracing for another wet front coming tonight. Already got an armful of spruce and uglies by te stove. Hi tomorrow predicted mid 50s and heavy rain.

Stats tonight showed us double normal moisture for the month and almost 4" over normal thus far into the year (normal for year here is 16" and change).

Harry K

yeah...kind of a strange year. my dad was saying he burned a quick fire in the stove the other morning (OR).

Was 96* and humid 4 days ago....tonite I wore a fleece because it was so damned damp...rained off and on all day, thundering every so often right now with 2 minute bursts of torrential rain..

I check my piles out every day it don't rain too...The oak is checking in good order, and the tape says I have 7 cord stacked...

80[sup]o[/sup] is pretty much where I draw the line on working firewood; I'll work in the morning but when the thermometer climbs to 80[sup]o[/sup] I put the firewood tools and equipment away for the day. I may extend that a bit if humidity is low, there's a nice breeze and I can work out'a the sun... but I won't extend it by much.
Man I wish I had all my firewood split and stacked. The original plan for this year was to have it all done a week ago... but... crap happens and I'm way, way behind. Last year I set the last split on June 30[sup]th[/sup]; this year I ain't so sure I'll have it done by July 30[sup]th[/sup]... sucks.
And now it appears the summer heat has set-in early...

There needs be a special forum on Nude Firewooding for those afflicted with the WoodPiles. Seems a drastic need here.

Pics mandatory. :msp_scared:

Been dang hot here, but got a reprieve the past 2 days. mid-70's, a stiff cool breeze, and 0% humidity. All gonna change Thursday. Mid 90's, and a stretch of it they say will last well into the forseeable future. Ahhhhhhgggggggghhhhhh.

Back