Help I'm lazy and I can't get started

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I admit I like felling and blocking best. Getting it out of the woods is a close second. Splitting and stacking is such a chore to me that I always leave it to the bitter end. At the moment I have about 8 cord sitting in a pile and I just can't bring myself to go out and start in on it. I thought that I would get it done before the temps climbed up but now it is getting hotter and harder to get started. Someone please shame me into actually finishing this.

Sure, I will. :yoyo:

I'll trade your lack of motivation for a quasi bad injury that I sustained in mid May.

I had a nasty fall that left me with 4 ribs that have 5 breaks (and I mean breaks), a broken Left clavicle, I had collapsed part of my left lung, with a "small" concussion on top.

I had put up 4 cords of sugar maple in lengths that day and have had wood consistently rolling in for the last 3 weeks. I was planning on tearing into the maple the next day.

I am HOPING I will be back to using a chainsaw by the end of July/beginning of August. I originally was thinking September, but things are going pretty well healing wise.

I dont know if the Fiskars will be a viable option for splitting but the 394 sure will be.:rock: Besides, she gets a little testy when ignored.:msp_smile:

I was able to start a saw last week and run it for about 5 minutes before it really started wearing on me. Aaaaand I paid for it the next day.

I was going bonkers after the first week of being injured and watching the grass taunt me drove me over the edge. I got a suicide ball for the mower so I could at least mow one handed.:msp_biggrin:

SO, get out there and get the wood done while it's still summer . :msp_thumbsup:

I want to be hacking in the pile but you can be.

Last edited:
Its been bad hot here, basically if I can't get it done before 9AM, its 5:30PM before I can get back on it. Don't much matter if its cuttin, splittin or repairing a fence, its just too damn hot.

Like Zogger, little bit most days. The breeze has really helped with the heat and keeping deer flies away Either cutting, splitting, or stacking after work and before class. Gives me an hour to hour and a half. Nice time slot and goes by quickly. If I'm feeling a bit tired, or lazy, I cut or split. Stacking I like the least, so that part has backed up a bit and is getting more attention. Doesn't seem like much gets done most nights but it adds up. Stacking is just stacking, an arm load at a time until the rack is full. I am guessing there is twenty plus cord, twenty five maximum split in the piles. View attachment 242925View attachment 242926View attachment 242927View attachment 242928View attachment 242929

Sure, I will. :yoyo:

I'll trade your lack of motivation for a quasi bad injury that I sustained in mid May.

I had a nasty fall that left me with 4 ribs that have 5 breaks (and I mean breaks), a broken Left clavicle, I had collapsed part of my left lung, with a "small" concussion on top.

I had put up 4 cords of sugar maple in lengths that day and have had wood consistently rolling in for the last 3 weeks. I was planning on tearing into the maple the next day.

I am HOPING I will be back to using a chainsaw by the end of July/beginning of August. I originally was thinking September, but things are going pretty well healing wise.

I dont know if the Fiskars will be a viable option for splitting but the 394 sure will be.:rock: Besides, she gets a little testy when ignored.:msp_smile:

I was able to start a saw last week and run it for about 5 minutes before it really started wearing on me. Aaaaand I paid for it the next day.

I was going bonkers after the first week of being injured and watching the grass taunt me drove me over the edge. I got a suicide ball for the mower so I could at least mow one handed.:msp_biggrin:

SO, get out there and get the wood done while it's still summer . :msp_thumbsup:

I want to be hacking in the pile but you can be.

aaak! Hope you heal up man! No fun really wanting to do stuff and ya can't.

%$#@&

You worthless, layabout, pieces of &%$#@.
Listen to the reb down there in ZogLand. Get off your butts....

Forget this grasshopper B.S. It is time. :sweat3::sweat3:

Well, Mr. Lazybones???

You get to splitting yet?

Here's two evenings slow steady splitting in the heat, 102-106 degrees, about 1/4 cord (low light heavy dusk pic, somewhat viewable, fiskars in there for some scale)

Ya, I was sweating, but taking it smart, moving slow, nice and easy, stop for breaks, drink liquids, etc. It's doable. I start around when the sun is going down, hit the fiskars with a file, go split some, then throw out some rounds out of the stack around the block for the next day, then go cool off. Just keep chipping away at it, 1/8th a cord a day, it adds up! Either split real dang early AM or late evening ta heck with that mid day noise.

Just put a reasonable stack of rounds from your main pile next to the block. Look at *that* pile, not the huge pile. Around an 1/8th of a cord isn't that much, but every day, you can see you are making progress by the end of the week. Split that small amount. Next day, do it again. Next day, do it again. next day, do it again. Make it a routine, you'll look forward to it. I like practicing aiming and doing fancy splits on oddball pieces, and working with what the bucket truck guys left me, I have *plenty* of oddball pieces.

attachment.php

I am guessing..about two to three more weeks of easy splitting, I'll be done with the pure oak, then on to the mixed hardwood species pile, then back to the pine. There's quite a bit of that, I checked it yesterday, all the bark is now loose, so it is almost ready for easier splitting. Then I have aww geez, a dozen trees down to buck and drag up. Hope to go into next winter with around 20 cord split and stacked. Well over ten now. And I don't make a huge project out of it, just a little now and then is all it takes, you just have to do it year round that way.

That's the way to do it Zogger! :msp_thumbsup:

A little at a time and it all suddenly adds up.

Should have done it in the winter you lazy sob. I love having my morning coffee on the deck watching the stacks dry. Its a beautiful thing.

After being shamed by my 70+ year old father (he has been splitting next years wood every morning) I did manage to start loading in the close supply. To do me one more injustice he brought the splitter down and asked me where I wanted it and if he should tie the tarp down tight or was I going to use it soon. I felt like I was 16 again and hadn't mowed the lawn or some other chore. Thanks to all for the butt kicking I am at least now moving on the project.

After being shamed by my 70+ year old father (he has been splitting next years wood every morning) I did manage to start loading in the close supply. To do me one more injustice he brought the splitter down and asked me where I wanted it and if he should tie the tarp down tight or was I going to use it soon. I felt like I was 16 again and hadn't mowed the lawn or some other chore. Thanks to all for the butt kicking I am at least now moving on the project.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! It took Dad to finally get ytou to get it in gear, that's funny as snot! heheheheheheheh

I was out stacking what I split from last night a little while ago. Chip away at it. I think I had around 8-9 wheelbarrow fulls to stack. I'll split more later. FedEx just dropped off a new toy..err.. "work saw" so I am playing with that, Poulan 4000, yes! Needs cleaning and fix or replace a small piece on the rear handle, but it runs.

you guys are adorable,bucking/limbing/splitting/stacking/loading/unloading, just like the ant in the ant and the grasshopper
I Sportfall, therefore I am the grasshopper, when it comes to trees.... dump em and let em lay :laugh:
once the fun's all over with just pack your saw, axe, and wedges back to the truck and hit the road

[video=youtube;_oALidRu2ak]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oALidRu2ak[/video]

I do it like Zogger, just work on the pile in the evenings a bit and use it as a workout. I split most wood by hand with a monster maul even though i have a hydraulic splitter. I enjoy splitting wood by hand as it's a developed skill. Stacking is also something I like to do because I wind up re-stacking everything someone else does after it falls down. Doesn't seem like rocket science but a lot of people can't stack wood that won't tip. I don't have anything that needs splitting now but do need to move seasoned wood into my woodport in preparation for fall. I am really enjoying the powered wheelbarrow I have now. Makes it a lot easier to move stuff around. (Bobcat 873)

I do it like Zogger, just work on the pile in the evenings a bit and use it as a workout. I split most wood by hand with a monster maul even though i have a hydraulic splitter. I enjoy splitting wood by hand as it's a developed skill. Stacking is also something I like to do because I wind up re-stacking everything someone else does after it falls down. Doesn't seem like rocket science but a lot of people can't stack wood that won't tip. I don't have anything that needs splitting now but do need to move seasoned wood into my woodport in preparation for fall. I am really enjoying the powered wheelbarrow I have now. Makes it a lot easier to move stuff around. (Bobcat 873)

Bobcat! That's cheatin'! hehehehehe

Back