MY F-350 with 1 2/3 cords of wood on it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can. That is cook wood for brick oven pizza places. That is the way they want it split. You can control the heat in the oven better with that size split.

I need a truck by Fall for deliveries. Is yours a flatbed dump? And what kind of mileage, on gas or diesel? Nice load of wood.

Yes mine is a flatbed dump. It has a V-10. It likes gas. I drive like an old man 55-60 tops and don't try and climb every hill as fast as I can. I get around 9mpg round trip. I have some pretty good hills to climb. When towing the dump trailer (moving 3 plus cord at a time) I get 7-8. The truck has been really good to me. Some of this wood has been kiln dried and some seasoned in the kiln. That makes a big difference on weight. I don't know that I would haul 2 cord of green wood on the truck.

Scott

1-2/3 Cords?

You realize, of course, that a full cord of green oak, locust, hackberry, or mulberry weighs in at about 4,500 lb. So, 1-2/3 cord would weigh 7,500 lb.

You are loading this amount onto a single-axle, 1-ton pickup truck? Perhaps you should give your truck a break. :popcorn:

Yes mine is a flatbed dump. It has a V-10. It likes gas. I drive like an old man 55-60 tops and don't try and climb every hill as fast as I can. I get around 9mpg round trip. I have some pretty good hills to climb. When towing the dump trailer (moving 3 plus cord at a time) I get 7-8. The truck has been really good to me. Some of this wood has been kiln dried and some seasoned in the kiln. That makes a big difference on weight. I don't know that I would haul 2 cord of green wood on the truck.

Scott

Keep on trucking. Ron

I never thought about wood fired pizzerias....Are you slinging oak there??? Machine split I'm assuming...You sell by the cord then or by 1/3 cord??? What's your asking price??? Strictly curiousity of course! :msp_biggrin:

I never thought about wood fired pizzerias....Are you slinging oak there??? Machine split I'm assuming...You sell by the cord then or by 1/3 cord??? What's your asking price??? Strictly curiousity of course! :msp_biggrin:

I deliver every week. They use a different amount every week. It's always pretty close but can vary a little. I measure their rack and charge them based off usage. The wood is all oak and yes it's machine split (super splitter). Depending on location and how long they have been with me prices can be between $350-$500 a cord.

Scott

Scott

You wouldn't haul a cord of green wood and be legal here in NH. An F450 is barely legal with a cord of green. I have an F550 for that reason. I like that you are honest about the kiln dried effect. Lots of guys think their F350 can haul 3 cords of wood.

You realize, of course, that a full cord of green oak, locust, hackberry, or mulberry weighs in at about 4,500 lb. So, 1-2/3 cord would weigh 7,500 lb.

You are loading this amount onto a single-axle, 1-ton pickup truck? Perhaps you should give your truck a break. :popcorn:

Actually, a cord of fresh cut red oak weighs about 6300 pounds according to my local pulp scale.
And I have tared on several scales, all of them have me within 50 pounds depending on how much fuel I have in the tank...so I figure that 6300 number is about as accurate as it gets.

You wouldn't haul a cord of green wood and be legal here in NH. An F450 is barely legal with a cord of green. I have an F550 for that reason. I like that you are honest about the kiln dried effect. Lots of guys think their F350 can haul 3 cords of wood.

Actually, a cord of fresh cut red oak weighs about 6300 pounds according to my local pulp scale.
And I have tared on several scales, all of them have me within 50 pounds depending on how much fuel I have in the tank...so I figure that 6300 number is about as accurate as it gets.

OT, no doubt that the best way to keep from overloading your truck is by running it across the scales from time to time.

As you inferred there are a lot of overloaded F350s, particularly the long wheel base models. I don't know the ratings of the newer trucks, but back when a one ton was rated at 10,000 GVW you could get pretty close to this with an empty heavy duty 12/14 foot flat bed dump and tool boxes.

I think some also tend to forget that with a long wheel base truck the front end can be overloaded pretty quickly even though the rear seems fine. My dad learned that lesson the hard way with his then new 6.9 F350; right front tire kept wearing out - when inspected the first words of the mechanic were "This truck has been overloaded" - front axle/king pin damage. He was right as Pop thought nothing of loading her down with gravel grossing the truck anywhere from 16k to 20+k. From the OP's pictures unless he has larger diameter than stock tires, I would guess he is close to his safe limit for the front end even though the rear overloads have not engaged. Ron

Agreed!

I was trying to give OP the benefit of the doubt. I actually agree more with your numbers that the ones I posted. So, 1-2/3 cord of green red oak is probably closer to 5 tons. So would green mulberry, green hackberry, and green locust.

Now, how many guys out there are ready to load up a 1-ton single-axle pickup with 5 tons on the bed?

Give your truck a break.:dizzy:

The truck has a 15k gross weight rating. I have gone to one size bigger tire so I could get a load range E. I'll scale a load and see where I am at. I had another call for some wood so I added a 4'x4'x16" stack to it. I'll try and scale this load tomorrow.

Scott

1 1/2 cords of oak all day long

That doesn't look like 1 2/3 cords of wood to me, My truck would be stacked full for 1 1/2 cords. Just looks alittle lite...........

Back