The Best Time To Cut Firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Asked and answered"

This question is in the genre of rhetorical, or, if chosen: "may I". As in : "may I have sex this morning", or, "more porridge please sir", or, "can I take cut wood dropped beside a public road", " is the penny picked up in the parking lot mine", or...(you may fill in your blank).

It is a query that needs and has no, nada reply in spite of the more rational posts from users of firewood. The Old Farmer's Almanak (N.B. sp.) is neither old, nor farmer's, nor an almanac. It is based on the marketing of entrails, tea leaves, caterpillar waste, squirrel seeds, and slot machine stats. The OFA record is abysmal...but fun to read while enjoying your time on the pot.

VOX CLAMANTIS EN DESIERTO

I missed ya LB, welcome back. I've picked up useful anecdotes, if you will, (sorry about the split infinitive) from the Old Farmer's Almanac over the years. How about, "Dogs will scavenge the unthinkable." From an article about compost. Or How to straw potatoes, (grow them without digging.) Kind of like the time I got my bell rung playing football but somehow remembered the proper name for DNA on a biology quiz the next day. These are the mysteries of our time. I doubt we'll overheat the servers shootin' the bull on the boards, anyhow.

There's the nuts and bolts behind doin' something like processing firewood, then there is the rest. The history of it, the future of it. The reasons why...

I enjoy hanging around even though every one doesn't agree. For instance, LogButcher do you realize how long it took me to relize what you meant when you go around saying, "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?" When that soaked in it was repayment for lots of abuse. Try to understand someone different that's all I'm sayin'.

Winter is Good

I like whiskey :rock:... but I don't Tango or Foxtrot, even after enough whiskey.

As we say hereabouts: " now deah", no wonder you can't get anything done. Too much butt time online, too much whiskey.:too_sad:
Up @ zero dark hundred, doodling on the butt, sunrise has passed long before, and you're whining about those undone 'chores'. :popcorn:

The Alpha, Bravo...stuff is a polite way to avoid the dreaded Banned Camp BTW. And, for comm use on other than internet frequencies, it clarifys(sp.) communication. As in: "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Spidy, why aren't you out doing some chores ? ":hmm3grin2orange:

Back to the OP's questionable question: there's little wood harvesting in non winter here. The ground is wet and soft making it hard on equipment, people, and the woodlands ; the temps are up there for the bodies that produce sweat ( sawing and moving timber is some work for some ); mozzies, deerflies, black flies, ticks, and other lovely flesh loving creatures are out in force; and, since it is a short summer (sic), we try to have recreational enjoyment. Why would anyone ( speak up Zog ? ) bust themselves in hot weather ? Harvests begin following hunting, extend through maybe March. This is not the PNW, Mississippi, or even N.J.

JMNSHEO

As we say hereabouts: " now deah", no wonder you can't get anything done. Too much butt time online, too much whiskey.:too_sad:
Up @ zero dark hundred, doodling on the butt, sunrise has passed long before, and you're whining about those undone 'chores'. :popcorn:

The Alpha, Bravo...stuff is a polite way to avoid the dreaded Banned Camp BTW. And, for comm use on other than internet frequencies, it clarifys(sp.) communication. As in: "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Spidy, why aren't you out doing some chores ? ":hmm3grin2orange:

Back to the OP's questionable question: there's little wood harvesting in non winter here. The ground is wet and soft making it hard on equipment, people, and the woodlands ; the temps are up there for the bodies that produce sweat ( sawing and moving timber is some work for some ); mozzies, deerflies, black flies, ticks, and other lovely flesh loving creatures are out in force; and, since it is a short summer (sic), we try to have recreational enjoyment. Why would anyone ( speak up Zog ? ) bust themselves in hot weather ? Harvests begin following hunting, extend through maybe March. This is not the PNW, Mississippi, or even N.J.

JMNSHEO

He He. L-B you're a classic.

I like whiskey :rock:... but I don't Tango or Foxtrot, even after enough whiskey.

I like to Rumba. It's the dance of love. My wife coerced me into taking a rumba class at a community college led by some pros. So she is a hot young thang so wtf do I have to lose, right?

Guess what...

:givebeer:After we learned the basics, we had to rotate partners. I spent the next five Saturdays doing the Rumba with a bunch of old chicks. Could have used that whiskey then.:cheers:

JMNSHEO

---I work in hot cold warm and cool weather. Just the way it is. hot weather, you slow down a bit, take breaks, try to stay in the shade as much as possible, etc.

As for terrain here, and "wood season", it is the opposite of el norte, winter is mud season here, no going down to the swamp area to get wood. Even now with the near drought it is squishy, but hard enough to not leave Big ruts, so that's when I get the wood. Access is always hot weather summer for the most part, so I just deal with that reality if I want wood. Ground doesn't freeze solid much here, and never real deep. If it ever did, man, that would be some serious "climate change" and ya'all would be discussing the best way to dig ice caves to live in..heh

I pulled two tote boxes of oak out today...tomorrow another two, after mowing chores.

--I use dishtowels as sweat rags, BTW......ya, I get hot. That part isn 't too bad, what annoys me is looking down, and then my eyeglasses fillup with sweat. I've tried head bands, do-rags, whatnot, doesn't work that well for me.

So then later I was at the bench $%^& around with this lame tore up busted trimmer the boss gave me to fix, as in "You are volunteered". Grumble. My bench is inside the greenhouse...coming back outside into 90 degrees felt like walking into air conditioning! I can take maybe 15 minutes at a time in there. Today that was enough to get the carb out and cleaned up, see how it goes tomorrow, everything else is fixed on that junk. Had it running, croaked under load(had to put new tr4mmer head as well, plus splice and tape up the ripped in half coil / plug wire)..swell, opened it up, mud brand carb stuffings...I think I found the major problem now...some doofus was running the thing with zero filter on the end of the line!

Tell ya whut though, all the tropicals and ornamentals and veggies are doing outstanding inside the greenhouse, despite the heat (gets 120+ in there...), the bit of shade and more moist is doing it, the stuff outside all mostly sucks. Getting some fair melons now outside, that's it. *Usually* we always get a fab outside garden season, but not this year, it's dang _weird_ actually. Trees are alll hurting, losing all the nuts early and they are immature. My fruit trees dropped green fruit on the ground. Salvaged some, but not much, cluckeraptors got most of that stuff. Grapes did OK, well..fair is closer, after I nailed the japanese beetles (secret spray, real dilute dishwash liquid and water, works great, costs like two cents, something like that, for a spray bottle full), just a few drops and the water is enough.

f. Grapes did OK, well..fair is closer, after I nailed the japanese beetles (secret spray, real dilute dishwash liquid and water, works great, costs like two cents, something like that, for a spray bottle full), just a few drops and the water is enough.

It's anionic surfactant breaks the surface tension of their skin. Make the little buggers split right open. Did you learn that secret from an Almanac, Zog? That's a pretty slick gardening tip.

It's anionic surfactant breaks the surface tension of their skin. Make the little buggers split right open. Did you learn that secret from an Almanac, Zog? That's a pretty slick gardening tip.

No idea when I learned to use dilute soapy water on bugs..hmm..i guess..back in the late 80s (?/I forget now, around then) I helped a friend who was a house painter and he showed me his secret cheap weapon against wasp nest instead of bad news to be around insecticides like that dollars per can "hotshot' ..he used dishwash soap water and a super soaker squirt gun! Then I read up on insecticidal soap, got some, it works but it is expensive so tried the cheap dishsoap trick again and it works fine. I spray em down good, come back in an hour and rinse the grapes off again with just the hose.

No idea when I learned to use dilute soapy water on bugs..hmm..i guess..back in the late 80s (?/I forget now, around then) I helped a friend who was a house painter and he showed me his secret cheap weapon against wasp nest instead of bad news to be around insecticides like that dollars per can "hotshot' ..he used dishwash soap water and a super soaker squirt gun! Then I read up on insecticidal soap, got some, it works but it is expensive so tried the cheap dishsoap trick again and it works fine. I spray em down good, come back in an hour and rinse the grapes off again with just the hose.

Did you know that clay particles bind together based on a magnetic attraction? When that diluted soap runs down to the soil off your grapes, the anionic surfactant in it--probably ammonium lauryl ether sulfate or sodium laureth sulfate, hits the clay and breaks the molecular bond. Turns clay into chocolate. Look up , "localized dry spot," a problem encountered in turfgrass management, and you'll see soap is the cure for that, too.

Latest posts

Back