New 440 cost more than new 441 wonder why

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fuel economy ok but how noticeable is that really on a saw?? Considering they use very little to begin with.

Vibs dunno does the 441 have a spring anti vib like the 441m tronic or rubber like the 440?

Power output same although id expect the 441 to have less due to epa.

Air filter can prob put a HD2 filter on a 440 and for the cutting ive done the standard normal filter and the HD for the 440 work just fine.

Pointless swith from 440 to 441 IMHO should of just changed the AV mount from rubber to springs. Now 441mtronic from the reviews its getting on here excellent idea or change. Electronic carb means its always tuned to the conditions can't do that on the old saws by hand. Very effective anti vibe system as well. Bravo Stihl.

A 441 M-Tronic is a lot more powerful than a 440. The 440 was and is a great saw, but the 441 C-M is in a different (and better) league.

A 441 M-Tronic is a lot more powerful than a 440. The 440 was and is a great saw, but the 441 C-M is in a different (and better) league.

Speaking of M-tronic...I am predicting an extended market for Super Chips and Hyper-Tec. And we will start talking about "chipping" our saws more than muff modding currently.

What I do know is I've had a 460 in one hand a 441 in the other and the weight is to close to call.
My money as it stands right now would go to the lighter 440.

Speaking of M-tronic...I am predicting an extended market for Super Chips and Hyper-Tec. And we will start talking about "chipping" our saws more than muff modding currently.

It is the dawn of a new era in many respects. I am going to do some experimenting with different octanes to see if the M-Tronic will pull any benefit out of higher octane - still in the pump gas range though.

Those 440's seem to do anything I need done and are pretty sweet. I like them better than the 460's too! They seem about perfect to me. Now one with the M-Tronic would get my attention and the last thing I need is another saw.

Their just great loggers,tree guys,firewood guys and anybody that wants a great saw will continue to buy as long as stihl has them available.:rock:

Enough to know that despite their improved economy, filtration, and spring AV, all of which are non issues for me, they gained weight and are harder to work on. That makes them a huge step backward.
Shame on you Stihl!

Mike

Mike I agree with you. put a new P&C on my 441 and there is alot more to deal with as its a starto saw. Have never ran a 440 so I can't comment on it.

OK here's my take on the 441. Keep in mind I just rebuilt one and I put a few gallons through Brad's mm but otherwise stock 441cm. First I love the new technology and spring AV. The fuel consumption isn't a big deal to me, and I personally didn't think the 441 cm was any better on fuel than my stock 7900, it takes fuel to make power and the 441 cm has good power. In the woods the 441 feels big, the 440 feels more like a 361. With that said it's not too hard or too heavy to maneuver when felling or bucking, but it could use a diet.

Now here's why I would never own one.

1. Design. The overall design is messy, cluttered and the over use of grommets, fasteners and small parts is almost comical. When I dissembled the saw it became clear it's the first of it's kind for stihl and it shows. Both the 362 and 261 are much cleaner and less complex in design, particularity the carb box and intake setup.

2. Parts. They seem to be in short supply and always on back order. This my be do to several reason. Lack of sales locally and or nationally is the likely reason.

3. Longevity. So far the 441 simply doesn't seem as bullet proof as the saw it supposedly replaced. This however is a debatable topic and in no way set in stone.

4. Options. Too many saws out there that are dead reliable, better designed and parts are everywhere and cheap.

5. Wait for the 442. I have a feeling it's not all that far off, but then again Stihl does nothing fast.

Take this for what it is, my opinion.:cheers:

Last edited:
All i know from a semi production point of view (use theses saws allmost every day of the week) i can not pick one bad thing about the 441Cs,stock they are very good ported they are very very good.My 460 has spider webs on it.:smile2:

The 441 is not a bad saw by any means, it's just that the 440 was so good. So the op has put on his "Skepticles" and chosen not get in line with the Lemmings...bravo to him!:clap:

I have a 441CM and also a 440 with a 460 top end. I reach for the 441 more times than not. A close friend that I do some tree jobs with has a 460, and when we run all 3 saws side by side, for 8 - 10 hours the 441 definitely doesn't where you out as much as the other 2 at the end of the day.

I have a 441CM and also a 440 with a 460 top end. I reach for the 441 more times than not. A close friend that I do some tree jobs with has a 460, and when we run all 3 saws side by side, for 8 - 10 hours the 441 definitely doesn't where you out as much as the other 2 at the end of the day.

I agree. Spend some real time with them and it becomes quite clear.

Honestly I by no means meant to put down the 441,for the simple fact I have never used one.My point was simply that if the 441 was so advanced,with so many techno advances,why is it cheaper?Personally the 441 looks kinda "chunky".I have indeed owned a few 044s and a 440,and can honestly say they were some of the best saws ive owned,not my favorites but damn good saws.Bullet proof and good cuttin saws.Stihl knows that and thats why the 440 cost more,all im sayin

Honestly I by no means meant to put down the 441,for the simple fact I have never used one.My point was simply that if the 441 was so advanced,with so many techno advances,why is it cheaper?Personally the 441 looks kinda "chunky".I have indeed owned a few 044s and a 440,and can honestly say they were some of the best saws ive owned,not my favorites but damn good saws.Bullet proof and good cuttin saws.Stihl knows that and thats why the 440 cost more,all im sayin

Maybe Stihl's looking at it the other way. They are bound to be aware of how popular the 440 is, and could be pricing the 441 a bit below it to catch the attention of customers who come in after a 440.

I understand that the 440 was removed from the NA market and then brought back, did this affect it's pricing at all?

I bought a leftover 440 about 2.5 years ago for $680 or so with a 20". It was marked $740. Now they list at $919.

Latest posts

Back