Choosing a Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sthomas77

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So after several years of hand splitting and renting a splitter I am finally able to buy one. I have narrowed it down to the Huskee 35 ton and the Ariens 37 ton. I can get the Ariens about 200 cheaper from logsplittersdirect.com. Which one should I go with? I was looking for reviews and most of the threads about the Ariens are from when they first came out and would like some recent insight. Would love to do and Iron and Oak, but would could only swing the 22 ton model, which I believe is not enough for my use (I borrowed a Huskee 22 ton last year and I bogged it down several times). Also, any experience with this company? They are able to offer free shipping and no tax, which is how they can beat tsc. I am going to talk with my Ariens dealer to see if they would match the out the door price and am hoping they will since they are also my Stihl dealer and have spent quite a bit there. Thanks!

22 ton is likely more than you will ever need. You might be confusing the 2 stage hydro pump when it shifts to the higher pressure/ lower flow as bogging. If you are not capable of your own service then the one your local dealer carries is the better way to fly.

I forget what kind of wood it was, but no, it wasn't the 2nd stage kicking in. The ram stopped and I had to back it up, reposition the wood and try again. Happened a couple of times. Rounds were big, 30+ inches, which is about the size wood I usually get. For the most part, I CL scrounge and take whatever everyone else can't. I can do my own repairs, so that's not an issue. Was going to build my own, just no free time to do so.

I forget what kind of wood it was, but no, it wasn't the 2nd stage kicking in. The ram stopped and I had to back it up, reposition the wood and try again. Happened a couple of times. Rounds were big, 30+ inches, which is about the size wood I usually get. For the most part, I CL scrounge and take whatever everyone else can't. I can do my own repairs, so that's not an issue. Was going to build my own, just no free time to do so.

:potstir:
The DR and SS kinetic evangelists will be along shortly to bestow upon you the joyous revelation of the kinetic awakening you will enjoy upon following the one true path to righteousness.
:potstir:
:msp_biggrin:
:popcorn:

Bought an Ariens 27 ton last month......Have split about 12 cords of wood with it.....Twisted maple crotches, cherry, ash, some pretty knarly apple and twisted yellow birch.....No problems......Subaru engine starts on first pull every time and pulls easy, good on fuel easy to pull through the bush....but like I said, I've only had it for a month.

Out of the splitters you mentioned, I'd probably do the 35 ton Husky (Speeco) first, and the Airens second. Also.... a 22 ton I & O would split darned near everything you would throw at it. IMO the I & O is the best quality of the three.

I have the Huskee 35 ton with the Briggs 1650. I have split about 30 cords with it since this time last year. It starts on the first if not second pull every time. There is nothing that this will not split. Even on the biggest rounds I did not need to turn it up to full throttle.

What about resale value? You could likely sell the iron and oak every 5 years and keep yourself in a new one pretty reasonable. FYI, I have a Speeco 28 ton $1550 taxes in, couldn't turn it down. Does everything I need and if it breaks I'll cut it up and build what I want.

In my opinion i would get the Huskee, i've got the 22 ton it does all i need but i understand where you're coming from with the larger one . I'm sure someone with first hand knowledge will chime in shortly but i believe the Ariens / MTD has a pinion mount for the cylinder instead of full length support and i have heard in the past of some issues with the collar/ pinion mount cracking and / or failure. I could be wrong , but it would not be the first time. Termite

This is a good example of how the industry/market gets people to compare simple numbers like tons or horsepower when there is really so much more that needs to be evaluated. So, most people naturally would look at a "35" as being more than "22".

But to me, the I&O 22 ton is a much better splitter than the Huskee, regardless of what tonnage the are rated at. And there are several ways to rate/measure them.

I'm not knocking the Huskee's here. I know there are tons of them, (get it? :msp_w00t:) out there that have done great for many of you. But the I&O's are better built with better components IMO.

I've had the Ariens for 2 years now (27 ton model)...probably have around 12-14 cord through it. Please do not confuse this with any MTD model - they are NOT the same - Ariens builds their own. I have been extremely happy with this splitter....build quality is top notch and very well thought out. The Robin engine is 2nd to none IMO. Very reliable, sips gas and starts on the first pull every single time.

As for the comments around the cylinder mount...it appears Ariens has reinforced this area with a collar - I have zero concerns using this splitter and I'm sure it will last a very, very long time.

If you have any questions, let me know.

243943d1341409966-splitter3-jpg

243944d1341409969-splitter2-jpg

243945d1341409971-splitter4-jpg

Last edited:
I have a Troybuilt 27 ton model and have been splitting 9 cord a year for the past 6 years and have no problems with it, I believe that most models in that price range are basically the same and will suit most home owners, so your best bet will be dealer location; Just my 2 cents, Good Luck.

I have the I&O 20 ton model with the 6HP Honda motor and a 4 way wedge. Its going on its 4th year and I have run somewhere between 300-325 cords through it. I have to take the 4 way off from time to time with really big and knotty stuff but it chews through just about everything I put through it.
You also want to consider which model has the fastest cycle time. Why sit there and waste all that time waiting for a slow ram?

I was in the same boat..... then I saw a used Iron & Oak at my Stihl dealer (he's an I & O dealer too). Was the same price as the box store unit. Figured I couldn't go wrong with the quality and pulled the trigger. He serviced it, gave me a warranty, and delivered. Haven't looked back and I have somewhere to get it serviced that I already know.

Latest posts

Back